Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know for sure there is something going on inside my chichi's ear. there's a weird smelling odor coming from inside of it, and she's always scratching the inside of it really hard everyday. when she first started scratching it, it didnt stink. but now it does, so i'll be taking her to the vet asap. i try to keep her from scratching it so she doesnt hurt her ears.. but i wanted to know what are some of the possible things that could be wrong with her? are they easily treated? and what could happen? thanks. im getting worried now :-(

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Sounds like a yeast infection in her ear.
Yes, it can be treated. You'll have to put medicine in her ear and massage it in once or twice a day. Just be aware that she's going to shake her head so you'll need to hold her or get someone to help you.

Have you looked in her ear?
If you see any black stuff in there it could be ear mites too. You'll still have to put medicine in her ears.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Lil Cha Cha said:
How can you tell if it's a "yeast infection" in the ear? Will it look like something or just itch....?
Yeast infections in the ear usually produce a really musty smell in the ear and inside the ear looks swollen.
Ear mites will look like there is dirt in the ear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
this happened with milo, i tried ear mite treatment, no help. So i took him to the ver and they did a culture and he had a strep infection in his ears. The vet said if dogs get them once its likely they will re occur so i keep a close eye and anytime he starts scratching his ears a lot, i will do his ear drops for a day or 2 and it clears up!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Have you been cleaning your chi's ears on a regular basis? If you haven't, I would highly recomend doing so. If your baby has ear problems, I would clean his or her ears once a week, or at least twice a month. I'm sure your baby just has an infection and will be able to get treatment for it. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts