Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going crazy! Odessa sleeps with us, and she usually sleeps a full 8 hours without a peep. I've been enjoying full nights of sleep for months and months now... up until a couple of weeks ago. It's become a habit for her to wake up REALLY early. It's usually about 5 or 6, but a couple of times it's been 3:30!! She whines until I wake up and let her out to pee, and then she wants back into bed.

I have a really hard time falling back asleep, partially because of a health issue, and the lack of sleep is starting to catch up with me. Do any of you withhold food and water after a certain time at night? We've recently switched her diet to around 90% wet food only, which has a lot more moisture in it. For whatever reason, I always thought withholding food/water at night was a "puppy thing". PLEASE HELP ME!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I wish I could help! Bailey also sleeps with us an wakes early sometimes. I just go put her in her crate an shell sleep for another couple hours.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have a pee pad for when my little one wakes up and needs to pee. Or now that I am sleeping in the dog room, I reach over and open the dog door. Once she's done, I lift her back into the bed.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Mine have their last feed at 6pm but i never withold water,they always get a biscuit when they're in their bed last thing,i think maybe it's the wet food making her want to pee more ??????

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Minnie and Tootsie always sleep in the bed with me. and sometimes Minnie has to wake up early to pee. but she will just jump down, and go into the other room to use the pee pad. that's one reason i'm happy i have mine trained to feel comfy going pee inside or outside.
i always keep a full bowl of water out for my girls.
i dont have any advice but good luck, i hope you can resolve this

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Have you thought about getting some cheap plastic doggy stairs for around $20 so she can get on and off your bed when she wants/needs to without disburbing you, especially if there's a pee pad at the end of the bed next to the steps. I have a bedroom one in the base of a kitty litter tray so there can be no spills or misfires :)

Steps are great, I put them up to the bed when I'm happy to have them up here, or set them aside if I don't want the dogs up. Took them all of 1 minute to be running up & down them from when I first put them in place.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine have their last feed at 6pm but i never withold water,they always get a biscuit when they're in their bed last thing,i think maybe it's the wet food making her want to pee more ??????
I think that you're right. I fed her a normal wet food meal at 6 pm tonight, and I'm only going to give her a few dry kibble before bed if she needs a snack. We'll see how that goes!

Have you thought about getting some cheap plastic doggy stairs for around $20 so she can get on and off your bed when she wants/needs to without disburbing you, especially if there's a pee pad at the end of the bed next to the steps. I have a bedroom one in the base of a kitty litter tray so there can be no spills or misfires :)

Steps are great, I put them up to the bed when I'm happy to have them up here, or set them aside if I don't want the dogs up. Took them all of 1 minute to be running up & down them from when I first put them in place.
We actually do have some doggy stairs, but they're a joke beside our bed. It's REALLY high. We're also in the process of trying to switch from using pee pads inside to outdoors. Although I am willing to try anything at this point!! I think I would need a pretty heavy duty ramp at a pretty intense incline to do this in our small-ish room.

How often do your dogs go while you're sleeping? Does anyone have a chihuahua that doesn't have to go during the night?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
We actually do have some doggy stairs, but they're a joke beside our bed. It's REALLY high. We're also in the process of trying to switch from using pee pads inside to outdoors. Although I am willing to try anything at this point!! I think I would need a pretty heavy duty ramp at a pretty intense incline to do this in our small-ish room.

How often do your dogs go while you're sleeping? Does anyone have a chihuahua that doesn't have to go during the night?
My steps were too low for the bed, so I added extra ones by putting the on top of flattish, sturdy cardboard boxes & using lots of packing tape to hold it all together. I could've added a 2nd, 3rd or 4th tier using another set of plastic steps modifiedd by adding legs/supports at the back if I'd thought about it.

At this stage, mine are only allowed short play periods on the bed (they peed). I get up a lot during the night and notice they come with me, also taking the opportunity of peeing when I'm up and about. I leave a very low light on so they can see their way around when I'm not up.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Oh noooo!!! I feel your pain. Been through that when Hershey was a puppy and Nilla. Nilla's getting better on holding it through the night now. I would have them pee right before we go to sleep (10ish) and the next time they're up to go pee would be when I wake up at 7am. I do have stairs next to the bed and a pee pad on the floor. If they needed to pee, they would go down the stairs, pee on the pad, and go back up the bed and sleep.

I do not withold water, same as Elaina, I always have a bowl of water. Nilla has this tendency to drink just before she pees.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I used to have all my dogs sleep with us, a long time ago! But, now, no one is allowed on the bed at night, well, except for the cat - how to confine a cat;) Angel sleeps in a crate in our bedroom. I don't know how he does it, but his last time out is around 10pm or so and doesn't make a sound until I get him out at whatever time - usually 7:15 or 7:30. And then, he doesn't come right out of his crate. He doesn't like to go outside in the cold! don't blame him! He is trained to go inside and outside. But at night he won't just go to his pad and pee! So I have to take him outside, he pees immediately and comes right back in. Of course, he is never off leash to do his duty. I am paranoid about anything happening to him.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I get up at 5 and take him out for a wee. It is what dogs do...I don't know...they are rather small and I can't imagine having to "hold" it longer than that.. I'd say "witholding" water or food is not generally advisable for a chi either...

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I am very happy to report that she slept through the night last night, from 11 to 9 (it's my day off)! I fed her a normal meal of wet food at 6. Before bed, I let her out as I always do. I gave her a few dry kibble as a snack to hold her over. I fed her a little bit less food at dinner time, so she would finish most of it. Usually she leaves some of her wet food and has some between 8 and 10 at night, and I think that was the problem. I really hope this isn't just a coincidence!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts