Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, ok My girl has beautiful markings that are unusual, she is 3months and a week old and her ears arent up yet. I really want them to go up because she doesnt look to much like a chihuahua with them floppy. Is there any way to make them stand up or at least help em to? thanks so much ....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm sure there is a way of taping the ears temporarilly to help them stay up, but somebody else better tell you how to do it as I've not done this :D

Also, try adding calcium to her water, it could be because she is teething that they've gone floppy. Don't worry too much, I've seen a lot of people asking about this and everyone always says that they stand back up in due time. :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i think while chi's are puppies they're ears do that. one day they will be floppy and the next straight. she's still young, so hopefully by the time shes full grown they'll be straight up.

chico had really floppy ears when he was a pup...nw that hes full grown, his ears have gotten straighter, but they still flop at the tips. i love it on him though...he looks so cute and i think it gives his face more personality.

·
Registered
107 Posts
:) I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. As you can see from the shot of Reba in my avatar pic, she had crumpled baby ears. In the siggy, you can see at about 5 mos., she had "bat ears"... they kind of went thru an up and down stage before they went up and stayed up. Your baby is still kind of young yet.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
chico had really floppy ears when he was a pup...nw that hes full grown, his ears have gotten straighter, but they still flop at the tips. i love it on him though...he looks so cute and i think it gives his face more personality.
I couldn't agree more. I think it gives him a real "devil-may-care" look that I find quite charming.

I've meant to ask you this for some time - does Chico have an overbite? His muzzle in your siggy is just like Lily's so I associate that with having an overbite. To me, Lily's overbite is one of her cutest features. :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Borrowed this from another web site...

How to Tape Floppy Ears

This is a breeder's trick to train Chi and Yorkie ears to stay up. (This is for puppy ears only. Adult ears that flop will not benefit from this.)

Tear off a strip of masking tape about 6" long. Fold the edge of the tape over on itself at an angle. Continue folding the tape over on itself so that you create a triangle of tape.

Tear another piece of tape about 3-4" long, depending on the size of your dog's ear. You can also use vet wrap for this.

Place the triangle on the inside of the dog's ear with the one point of the triangle pointing up, matching the point of the ear. Make sure it doesn't go into the ear canal. Place it low enough, however, so the top of the ear will not be top heavy. Take the other tape strip and wrap it around the ear, attaching the first end of the strip to the tape triangle. Once again, wrap low enough that the ear is not top heavy. The tape should almost be sitting on the top of the head.

Leave the tape in place for one week. Then unwrap the ear (mineral oil or vaseline will help the tape come loose easier). Check the ear. If it's standing up, the tape has done it's job. If not, tape the ear once again using all new tape and wait another week. Usually ears will be standing by this time, although a few stubborn ears can take 3 weeks.

The dog may bat at the ear for a day, but will soon not notice the tape at all. If the tape seems to be bothersome after a day or more, check to make sure that you haven't taped too far down that tape is in the ear canal.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Chico's Mama said:
I couldn't agree more. I think it gives him a real "devil-may-care" look that I find quite charming.

I've meant to ask you this for some time - does Chico have an overbite? His muzzle in your siggy is just like Lily's so I associate that with having an overbite. To me, Lily's overbite is one of her cutest features. :)
Yes, he does have an over bite :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
bella is almost 9 weeks old and her ears stood up for like 5 days and then they went down again... but she i love her ears floppy or not... :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was worried about that same thing with my chi because her daddy's ears never stood...but hers didn't stand until she was about 4 months old and one still flops when she's tired (I think it's b/c she's teething).

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
cosmo 's ears were also floppy ...i gave calcium in his water for 2 weeks and his ears stood up straight ....but while he was teething they went down again :cry: i don't mind his ears down , but i love them more straight up, i'm givibng him now chewtablets of calcium again ....i hope his ears come back straight :D

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Trixie will be one next week, and her ears are still floppy most of the time. I tried taping them on two different occasions but the tape really bothered her. But she certainly still looks like a chi. I'm sure your pup's ears will end up standing up, most chis do eventually. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
mina's ears couldn't decide whether to stay up or down but after she got done teething, her ears stayed up permanently

1 - 14 of 14 Posts