Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the ears on a chi don't stand by 4 months, will they ever stand? What are the odds?

A friend of mine has a supposed chi from a breeder (who had way too many dogs that she just "loved" but she didn't have the time to train properly) and she loves her dog, but the ears aren't standing on her. She has asked the "breeder" a few times about family history of ears and siblings, etc, and the last time she mentioned them still not standing the breeder got defensive and went off the deep end saying that she was trying to say the dog wasn't purebred, and stuff like that, which she never even implied. She took her "Chi" to the vet and the vet said that he thinks the ears probably will never stand as they are just long and don't appear to have enough strength to stand. She has since ordered a DNA test of the dog to determine if it is full-bred chi out of curiosity since the breeder did get so defensive, but WOW... what a mess!

Just curious if any of you on here have had a Chi w/ ears that didn't stand earlier but went on to stand or what your opinions/thoughts are?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You always hear that its normal for chi's ears to stand and fall as they grow. I wondered about Mileys ears though because hers didnt stand at all for the longest time. In fact when I sent her breeder an update and some pics around 4 months she replied and mentioned she was surprised to see they werent up yet and maybe I should tape them. I never did, I thought they were cute either way and if they didnt stand it would just give her a little character. They started going up between 4-5 months and then were fully up. They flop a little when she comes out from under the covers after napping, not sure if its because she is tired or warm or what, but they go back up within about 5 mins and are otherwise up all the time.
I think they will likely stand, if they dont it doesnt necessarily mean that she isnt full chi, some just dont.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Godrics ears JUST stood up and he's just barely 17 weeks.

They'll go up when you least expect it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ever now and then Fiddle must loose strenght because every so often she will drop one lol.

I dont mind, reminds me of when she couldnt get them up at all :D

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Prada's ears never stood up Ninja and Baby my other 2 chis are the parents, all of her litter mates ears stood just not hers I read that it has to do with the strength of the cartilage don't know if it's hereditary

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Mojos ears just recently started standing up for long periods of time. (He is now 24 weeks)

Something to note, if you google chihuahua ears several reliable sources will tell you that all chi's ears dont always stand - that doesn't necessarily mean your little one isn't a purebred.

Also, while going through the teething stage the ears will rise and fall. Mojos did that quite frequently.. Still kind of is. I dont think he is quite through teething yet.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey is 4 her ears stand, but alot of the time she seems to hold them down.
You can see this in 2 of the pics in my siggy

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Not all ears stand It's just the way it is. Dogs who's ears flop shouldn't be bred as they do not meet the standard.

If the breeder got defensive I don't blame her if my dogs were accused of being x breeds I'd be really pissed!! I suppose unless you have papers you have no proof and never will!

But yes ears go uo and down during teething too

·
Registered
71 Posts
My puppy is 10 months old and his ears are down. They will probably never be up. But we think he's cute that way! :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Just because they have floppy ears does NOT mean they aren't pure Chi. Is it a breed "fault"? Yep! Is it hereditary? Yep! (though not all the time) Should they be bred from? No. But are they cute? Absolutely! Though I am particularly fond of perky Chi ears & my 2 who have weird floppy-ish ears drive me nuts. LOL But they're growing on me as apart of their "charm". :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I talked to her today. She finally got her DNA results back... It's at least 50% Chi, but at least 25% Yorkie, and the rest is unknown... I would be upset if I bought a dog that was registered and sold as a purebred and turned out to be mixed breed!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Some chis ears stand, some don't. During the teething period (around 7 months) they will go up and down and up and down! Usually, if they go up at some point as a puppy, they will be up as an adult.

I would never pay for a DNA test. Dogs are 99.8% the same genetically as wolves, so how are they ever supposed to figure out in that .2% what "breed" any dog is? I'm very skeptical of any results, and wouldn't be surprised if one DNA test showed something completely different than another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts