Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Look for dirt or a lot of wax build up. You may want to have him checked by the vet if it persists. It is possible that he picked ear mites up from another dog/animal or that he has an infection.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look for dirt or a lot of wax build up. You may want to have him checked by the vet if it persists. It is possible that he picked ear mites up from another dog/animal or that he has an infection.
Ok. I doubt it is anything serious. None of the other dogs ears are bothering them.
I've never cleaned their ears because i wasn't sure how and kind of afraid to.
what is the best way to do it ?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
If they look like they have dirt/wax build up, you can take them to the vets and they'll give you some liquid/gel to put into their ears and it will remove the dirt/ They'll explain & demonstrate how to do it! I went to get it for God as his were a bit mucky for some reason but now its fine. Or on the other hand it might just be nothing! :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
You can get ear cleaners at PetsMart or places as such but be careful and get the non-greasy kind or it is a fit to clean the greasy film off of the coat. Most you can just squeeze in the ear, massage and just let it do the cleaning. Sometimes though it takes a bit more to get it all out. If you cannot get it all out then maybe your vet can clean it up better or may have a stronger cleaner on hand ;-)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Another thing you may want to check into is if his anal glands need expressed. I know it sounds odd but both my vet and my mom's have told us that sometimes dogs will shake their heads a lot when their anal glands are full. When my mom's chi would start shaking her head and scratching at her ears she would take her in and, sure enough, her anal glands were full. The one time Coco has needed her anal glands done, one of her signals was shaking her head quite a bit.

Just something to consider. =)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hmmm, Angie I had never heard that but it makes a bit of sense. My Yoshi shakes his head and paws at his ears a good bit and always had. He is also one that I have to express regularly. Thanks for that tip :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
No problem. :) I actually laughed when my mom told me. It sounded so weird.

I just wish Cabo would have given me some kind of signs for his. After rupturing multiple times, he had his glands removed yesterday. :(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Nothing surprises me anymore, LOL! I had a fit with Yoshi's breath for yrs and we had teeth pulled, cleaned, breath mints, etc... nothing helped. He had never shown any signs of needing glands expressed? Never scooted, never released them anywhere, never cleaned himself in front of me, nothing? The vet decided to try to express them at a visit and they were very pasty and full. Come to find out at night he was cleaning them and that was causing his bad breath...

Sorry he had to have them removed :-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts