Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously we all have our own spiritual beliefs or maybe none...

Regardless...This time of the year is usually about new beginnings, family and optimism :)
So what are we all doing to celebrate this?

I'm spending time with my family, haven't bought eggs for the children but cute clothes they will like, books and toys...okay we spoil them :rolleyes:

My great niece is having a get together (hence sandwich question) and I am making a "Gruffalo cake"....Oh happy day!

Hopefully weather allowing we will have a day out with Jago and Rosie too.
I will also have my auntie around for lunch or tea, or we might just go out.

Also a drinkie afternoon with friends ;)

The pups will enjoy and be part of everything of course!

Barbara x

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's just nice to see everyone and maybe make that extra effort :)

I hope the weather is nice, it would be a lovely bonus for us all.

Barbara x

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
After attending Mass, we'll go out to my sisters house for dinner.

I'm going early to assist her with preparations.

She may have some special Martini to serve, but who knows. Going to her house and joining with family and friends is always so awesome. I leave my babies at home, this is a feast day for mama and daddy. Sis has three though so were not lacking for a little chi lovins while we're away from home!

Happy Easter All.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After attending Mass, we'll go out to my sisters house for dinner.

I'm going early to assist her with preparations.

She may have some special Martini to serve, but who knows. Going to her house and joining with family and friends is always so awesome. I leave my babies at home, this is a feast day for mama and daddy. Sis has three though so were not lacking for a little chi lovins while we're away from home!

Happy Easter All.
Sounds like a lovely day :)

Barbara x

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Obviously we all have our own spiritual beliefs or maybe none...

Regardless...This time of the year is usually about new beginnings, family and optimism :)
So what are we all doing to celebrate this?

I'm spending time with my family, haven't bought eggs for the children but cute clothes they will like, books and toys...okay we spoil them :rolleyes:

My great niece is having a get together (hence sandwich question) and I am making a "Gruffalo cake"....Oh happy day!

Hopefully weather allowing we will have a day out with Jago and Rosie too.
I will also have my auntie around for lunch or tea, or we might just go out.

Also a drinkie afternoon with friends ;)

The pups will enjoy and be part of everything of course!

Barbara x
You have awesome threads today Barbara. I can't get motivated to do anything and would just prefer to lay here with hubby and babies and talk to my chi friends. You have a lovely day planned.

I have to know, what is a "gruffalo" cake, and what did you decide on for the sandwiches?

We decided to do something different this year. I usually have the gatherings here and we have church in the am and an easter egg hunt (I still have little ones that expect the Easter Bunny:p). I usually grill steak and chicken and have some lovely side dishes but my 40th birthday is that weekend and I decided I don't want to work at all.

So we'll do the bunny hunt, go to church and then we are going to a great restaurant called Beau's that has an awesome Easter Buffet. Anything you could ever want to eat or drink. Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What is a "gruffalo" cake...?? I must know! LOL

I don't get people celebrating Easter if it's not for God. That's all I have to say.
Easter is a pagan holiday as well.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm
http://www.history.com/content/easter/pagan-origins

Many, perhaps most, Pagan religions in the Mediterranean area had a major seasonal day of religious celebration at or following the Spring Equinox. Cybele, the Phrygian fertility goddess, had a fictional consort who was believed to have been born via a virgin birth. He was Attis, who was believed to have died and been resurrected each year during the period MAR-22 to MAR-25. "About 200 B.C. mystery cults began to appear in Rome just as they had earlier in Greece. Most notable was the Cybele cult centered on Vatican hill ...Associated with the Cybele cult was that of her lover, Attis (the older Tammuz, Osiris, Dionysus, or Orpheus under a new name). He was a god of ever-reviving vegetation. Born of a virgin, he died and was reborn annually. The festival began as a day of blood on Black Friday and culminated after three days in a day of rejoicing over the resurrection." 3

Wherever Christian worship of Jesus and Pagan worship of Attis were active in the same geographical area in ancient times, Christians "used to celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus on the same date; and pagans and Christians used to quarrel bitterly about which of their gods was the true prototype and which the imitation."

Many religious historians believe that the death and resurrection legends were first associated with Attis, many centuries before the birth of Jesus. They were simply grafted onto stories of Jesus' life in order to make Christian theology more acceptable to Pagans. Others suggest that many of the events in Jesus' life that were recorded in the gospels were lifted from the life of Krishna, the second person of the Hindu Trinity. Ancient Christians had an alternative explanation; they claimed that Satan had created counterfeit deities in advance of the coming of Christ in order to confuse humanity. 4 Modern-day Christians generally regard the Attis legend as being a Pagan myth of little value. They regard Jesus' death and resurrection account as being true, and unrelated to the earlier tradition.

Wiccans and other modern-day Neopagans continue to celebrate the Spring Equinox as one of their 8 yearly Sabbats (holy days of celebration). Near the Mediterranean, this is a time of sprouting of the summer's crop; farther north, it is the time for seeding. Their rituals at the Spring Equinox are related primarily to the fertility of the crops and to the balance of the day and night times. Where Wiccans can safely celebrate the Sabbat out of doors without threat of religious persecution, they often incorporate a bonfire into their rituals, jumping over the dying embers is believed to assure fertility of people and crops.
Blessed Be~

We will probably make a ham... color a few eggies and go to the park if is nice enough. And spend lots of time being cuddly.
And, of course, call family. We don't live near either of ours now. :(

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to know, what is a "gruffalo" cake, and what did you decide on for the sandwiches?
Hi Robin and Katsrevenge who asked too :)

Here is the Gruffalo cake I plan to make, don't know if anyone will eat it or not mind! The recipe looks simple enough and has been written with children in mind, so I should mange it! I'll take a pic when I do and post it :D

http://www.gruffalo.com/upload/gruffalo_cake_sheet1.pdf

As for sandwiches...Well, I have decided to go with the wraps, they always look nice. I'm thinking cream cheese, prawns, thin roast beef, pickle, ham, "quorn chicken" and salad. Obviously not all combined!
I love olives, so will buy some, maybe stuffed.... to add as decoration as suggested.

I still need to look at the Kraft site :)

Barbara x

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Me & my son are going to my moms house for a small family get together she is making ham, roast & who knows what else to go with it & Im making dessert. We also have a little egg hunt for my son & of course easter presents. WE are also coloring eggs on wednesday.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
easter day spend it relaxing with the children we normally end up at the beach with children and furchildren who enjoy getting to the beach also we just have fun that day and lots of it because hubby takes the day off work!

but the run up i plan on having a good spring clean and i have my driving test just after easter so i am doing lots of hours behind the wheel at the minute!!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
easter day spend it relaxing with the children we normally end up at the beach with children and furchildren who enjoy getting to the beach also we just have fun that day and lots of it because hubby takes the day off work!

but the run up i plan on having a good spring clean and i have my driving test just after easter so i am doing lots of hours behind the wheel at the minute!!
After your done with your spring cleaning can you come do mine? please

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
We usually have a huge dinner and then hide Easter eggs and let the children find them. This year we are doing something completely different...we are going to my mom's lake front property and camping/fishing...should be interesting :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts