Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed recently that Poppy does a really annoying thing when she eats..not every time, but quite often.
I put her food down and she will eat for about a minute and then she takes a mouthful and carries it either to the carpet, or under the sofa :evil:
and either continues to eat it there, or leaves it there.
She will do this about 5 or 6 times a meal. My husband thinks its because in the wild, dogs have to fight for their food and so its an instinct to "save"
some for later!
Does anyone else have this phenomenon?
I keep finding little portions of wet dog food all over the place...not fun to step on in your stockinged feet...ugh!
:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi! I know a lot of dogs who do it. Yes, I guess it is this instinkt to hide food or eat somewhere where nobody can see you (and take it away :lol: ). My previous dog would also do it when she was not hungry but wanted to make sure she had the food saved for later. :wave:

Richie's mom

·
Registered
996 Posts
Lol! Sera does the exact thing, she'll take a big chuck of food and bring into my room and eat it, then go back for some more. but i havent found any around my room before :lol:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bella stays in her x pen when shes not in the front room , in our lap, etc.

That's where she eats and potties, she does the same thing, take a bite of food, race to her covers, burrow under CRUNCH CRUNCH, race out for another bite, etc etc. Only with her dry food though, she always eats all her wet food

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Oh my....my dogs (Luna expecially ) do it too.
They carry 4/5 tiny bites of food and take it to a soft surface, like carpet or their bed and then eat them.
They will go back and forth from the kitchen to the living room so many times.

I find it interesting, I wonder why they do that. It's funny! :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
All my mom's dogs are on RAW food diets so I never noticed that until I got RAZ.

My brother's Dalmation doesn't do it either but Raz does.

He takes a few bites in the bowl then pulls a few bits of kibble out of it and chomps away.

He always runs away and comes back to the food several times.

I think it has to do with the size of the dog but not sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts