Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long before neutering your dog should you take away food and water? Bosco is getting neutered today ( :( ) and I wanted to make sure I did this right ... I fed him supper around 6:30 and then haven't fed him since. He had water till about 11 p.m. and then I took that away too. I looked all over the Internet and couldn't find anything (maybe I just wasn't searing right) so can any of you help put my mind at ease?

I'll ask the vet when I bring Bosco in to make sure I did the right thing, too.

Thanks!
Anna

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
12 hours, MY GOSH! If forgot about my buddy are you home today Anna? Keep me posted immediately!!! What time is he getting done?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12 hours??? You mean I should keep feeding/watering him? EEK. Let me know!

No, I am at work today ... I'm leaving in about 10 minutes to pick him up from home/bring him to the vets office. They are going to call me once the surgery is over and then I get to pick him up after work. I am worried sick. :(

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
NO!!!!!!!!!!
sorry refrain 12 hours BEFORE surgery! Usually nothing after midnight is the norm sorry :oops:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phew! :D

Well I'm off to bring him to the vet's now. I'll let you know what happens when I drop him off. :(

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vet said they should call around noon to let me know how it went. He is getting neutered, a microchip implanted, and bloodwork done to make sure he is healthy.

He knew something was up 'cos he started shaking real bad and whimpered when the vet took him away from me. What a bad mommy I am!

·
Registered
257 Posts
NOT a bad mommy!

You aren't a bad mommy, just a good puppy parent. (But isn't amazing how guilty we can feel when we are doing the right thing?)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Re: NOT a bad mommy!

latenight423 said:
You aren't a bad mommy, just a good puppy parent. (But isn't amazing how guilty we can feel when we are doing the right thing?)
AMEN.........I will be feeling guilty in a few weeks! :(

·
Registered
810 Posts
Let us know how he does. I am sure he will do fine. I am getting my Lola spayed in 2 weeks as well and they are microchipping her too. Do you know anything about this microchip?? I know it is great for if she were to get lost, but does it hurt her when they put it in? I am asking, because another lady told me she would never let them do that to her dog. :shock: Hopefully it is just like a shot, not sure. Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vet said the microchip is put under the skin using a needle, just like a shot, except the needle is larger. I'm assuming it does hurt a bit when they do it, especially smaller dogs, which is why my vet is doing it while he is put under. He shouldn't even notice it is there after the fact. I'll let you know if I can feel it or if he seems to notice it once I get him home.

Thanks for letting me know that I am not a bad mommy you guys! :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Sandy already had her chip when I got her. She was 11 weeks old and I could feel it and see a lump in the shape of a piece of rice.
She is 7 months old now and I can't find it any more. Can't feel it or see it.
And Sandy is not sensative in that area at all.
It really is a good thing to have.
I am getting Koke done when she is spayed too. It will probably be sore for a little while.
God forbid, they could be stolen out of your yard too. With the chip you can prove they belong to you.
They use these chips for tracking all kinds of wildlife now too.
I don't know why that woman said she would never have it done.
If all dogs were done and they got lost, the rightful owner could be found easily.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
How exactly does the chip work? If your chi gets lost..do you report it to someone specific and they can track them?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
No the chip holds a number and has to be scanned by a vet or SPCA or someone that has a scanner. They can then call the number in to a company where the number is held in a database with the owners information.

Sort of the same as tatooing a number on a dog, but a lot less painful.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm worried about the chip, too, because chis are so tiny. My friend had those Norplant (?) birth control devices put in her arm and they weren't supposed to hurt but she said they bothered her a lot. My son has a tattoo and he said it hurt for awhile after it was done but once it was healed, he forgot it was there. (Until he decided he didn't like it, that is! Haha.)

I'm just not sure.

Does anyone have any else have personal experience that will help us decide? I hate that it might be inside my Sp. and ache now and then and I've avoided having it done for that very reason, but I don't want to lose him. If it's as non-intrusive as they say, do they do it to humans? Would you do it to your child? ..... your **** sapiens child, I should say! :flower: I wonder if they'd plant one in me so I can tell before I let them do it to my baby???????

Well, after saying that, I guess I'd better go to bed! Ya'all are thinking I'm nutsy, huh? Made sense when the thought came into my head! :sign5:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand your concerns Pammyzoo. :D You aren't nutsy in my book!!

Bosco doesn't seem to notice anything is different...he wasn't even sore in the place where they implanted it. They showed me the chip and it is very small. Small enough for it to not bother a Chi, in my opinion.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
both mine have it done and they have nevered seemed bothered by it even straight after it was done .................. I would just rather know that they were more likely to be returned to me if lost

I think it would be a great idea to chip people so if they get lost or runaway under age etc they could be returned if they wanted too :D

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
pammyszoo said:
I'm just not sure.

Well, after saying that, I guess I'd better go to bed! Ya'all are thinking I'm nutsy, huh? Made sense when the thought came into my head! :sign5:
If your nuts then I am too, I am not doing it.....reminds me of taking the mark of the beast. Call me whatever. I would not do it to myself nor my child...Kemo is like my child and if he gets lost and the shelter or whatever doesnt have a scanner then your out of luck too. I can see the benefits but I cant get past the weird feeling about it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Most people have a reaction to the medication in the norplant, not the implant itself. The chip has no medication so it shouldn't have a reaction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.