Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long before neutering your dog should you take away food and water? Bosco is getting neutered today ( :( ) and I wanted to make sure I did this right ... I fed him supper around 6:30 and then haven't fed him since. He had water till about 11 p.m. and then I took that away too. I looked all over the Internet and couldn't find anything (maybe I just wasn't searing right) so can any of you help put my mind at ease?

I'll ask the vet when I bring Bosco in to make sure I did the right thing, too.

Thanks!
Anna

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12 hours??? You mean I should keep feeding/watering him? EEK. Let me know!

No, I am at work today ... I'm leaving in about 10 minutes to pick him up from home/bring him to the vets office. They are going to call me once the surgery is over and then I get to pick him up after work. I am worried sick. :(

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phew! :D

Well I'm off to bring him to the vet's now. I'll let you know what happens when I drop him off. :(

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vet said they should call around noon to let me know how it went. He is getting neutered, a microchip implanted, and bloodwork done to make sure he is healthy.

He knew something was up 'cos he started shaking real bad and whimpered when the vet took him away from me. What a bad mommy I am!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vet said the microchip is put under the skin using a needle, just like a shot, except the needle is larger. I'm assuming it does hurt a bit when they do it, especially smaller dogs, which is why my vet is doing it while he is put under. He shouldn't even notice it is there after the fact. I'll let you know if I can feel it or if he seems to notice it once I get him home.

Thanks for letting me know that I am not a bad mommy you guys! :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand your concerns Pammyzoo. :D You aren't nutsy in my book!!

Bosco doesn't seem to notice anything is different...he wasn't even sore in the place where they implanted it. They showed me the chip and it is very small. Small enough for it to not bother a Chi, in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts