Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought a baby parrot, my question is does anyone know if there is anything harmful in parrot food. I wouldn't be bothered if it was just my great danes eating what the parrot throws out, big dogs small amount you see what I mean but with little Arnie I'm more concerned because even a small amount of parrot food is a sizeable snack to him. Sorry if this is a stupid question but there seems to be a lot of food knowledgable people on this site so please let me know if you know of anything I should be wary of. Thankyou x

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have two budgies and Gizmo does get seeds every so often and it's never bothered him..but then again their seeds are so much smaller than for a parrot. Really though I don't think it's harmful in any way..Someone else may come along and know more.

·
Registered
803 Posts
i have a budgie but mylo doesnt eat his seeds, hes more intrested in our rabbits food which doesnt seem to do him any harm!! i think he would prefer that in his bowl then his own food haha!!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
the parrots food should be fine, just read the ingredient list (it should have a list) and run it against the list of foods dogs shouldnt have. (pistacio nuts are one that comes to mind)

we have a goffins cockatoo who sometimes throws his food (and my mum occasionally drops some during feeding time) and the chis love to snack on it lol.
they've eaten sunflower seeds, papaya, peanuts, cashews, weaning pellets lol...so far no problems and the vet said the only thing we need ot be carefull about would be the peppers (the seeds getting in their eyes) and the choking hazard...
other than that the actual food itself shouldnt do them any harm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 3 cockatiels and 2 quaker parrots. They tend to make a mess and I try to keep up with it, but my chi's do eat their food too at times! I just got one chi.. only had her for about 3 months now, but the other has been eating it for years and it's never seem to do him any harm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts