Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..Just found this board, seems nice. I rescued a 1 yr old Chi from a breeder ( i know right?? ) from PA that bred just about every animal under the sun. Apperently from what the vet told me, she feels the owners just let the animals roam on the farm and feeding time, dump bags of food into a babypool and let the animals eat. My Bella is just 2.8 lbs large, the smallest of any animal I saw there. (they had greyhounds and mini horses and really everything) Its impossible to train her to go outside so I got pads. I have noticed she is 80% going on them, but stock piling the poop in hidden places and eating it. ( yuck! ) The vet advised to put accent in her food, its NOT working in the least. Her theory is she staved on that farm and thats what she had to do. But ive had her for about 3 months now, she eats well, is loved but wont break this habit. Any ideas? Thanks for reading...

Eddie

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I hate to say this, but dogs think poop tastes like caviar! It is very hard to stop them eating it. Your dog, on the other hand, probably does this in response to the condition she came from. I wonder if you could have her in a controlled place, like a playpen, so that you could take up the poop right away.? It might take a while. The other thing is that you have to remember that YOUR attitude toward this 'wonderful' act is important. Negative attention IS attention. Your saying NO, NO, NO, Oh My God! How disgusting, stop that'!!!! will make her think, oh boy, they are stealing my cache! Just pick it up, say nothing. I have a pooop eating sheltie, and nothing works. I just try to get to the poop before she does! And remember the first sentence I wrote!! Disgusting to us, but not so much for them. Sue

·
Registered
75 Posts
have you tried switching your chihuahua food to something that has more nurishment in it? sometimes they eat it to get more nurishment and sometimes they think is a acceptable food source, and i wouldnt be surprised with the condition she was in. or training your chi every time she walks away from the poo or ignores it give her a healthy treat my chi loves lil bits of raw carrots she loves it more then commerical dog treats. there are also other tricks like putting hot sauce on it to deture them away from eating it.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby is a poop eater. He has gotten much better and hopefully he will continue to grow out of it. I think with your doggy it was a survival thing- Bella needed nutrients that she wasn't getting and it is instinct when they are deficient to eat poo to help themselves. She also probably was not getting enough to eat since she wa competing with all kinds of dogs bigger than her for food. I hope that over time she learns to feel safe and secure and realizes that she won't ever be without food again. It's a survival instinct for your baby. Out of curiosity, what food is she on? I'd recommend a good grain free high quality kibble like blue buffalo wilderness, Acana, orijen, etc.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have tried everything. Pineapple juice, meat tenderizer, coprophagy chews, enzymes from the Holistic vet.

Sadly, often once they are a poop eater they will continue.

I am grateful that only one of mine is obsessed.

Bless you as you get her healthy ad I am hoping you do better than I have in this area!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
feeding her banana can also help.
They say eating poo is because they lack certain nutritions, but it is never scientifically prooved.
It can also be a learned behavior.
Getting your dog to stop eating poo can be a real struggle, sometimes you never get it out of there systems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone that took time to reply. She is currently on Purina One, Healthy Blend, Puppy. The vet put her on that due to nutrition. She was so caked up with every worm under the sun she didnt goto the bathroom for 1 week. I had to spoon feed her babyfood for 1 month while the meds took effect. I tried crate, ate before I got home. I figured give her free roam (she has a spot on the couch she dont leave) and i noticed a little on pads. The cleaning lady found 6 spots where she was hiding the poop. I moved things around to block them. New hiding spots now. I just came home and she had a buffet on my couch. Im so lost on what to do to prevent this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is a poop eater too. I just take it from him. He seems to be doing it less often as he is getting older. He is 1.5yrs old - so hopefully he will continue to grow out of it. At least he is not like my sons 55 lb dog who likes to eat cat poop from the litter box YUK!!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yes I have one of those also and Its not a pleasant thing to watch that's for sure. My Penelope is a poop eater and I have no Idea why she was a hand fed baby her mom died when she was 3 days old. she's always had the best food money can buy and she allowed to eat when ever she's hungry. I have no idea why she does this and it only seems like she does it when she poops on the puppy pad if she goes outside she doesn't touch it. With her its like she's cleaning it up. She is house trained but every once in awhile if I've been gone to long I'll come home to an accident and as soon as I come in she will run for the puppy pad and Goobles up her poop so now its become a race to see who can get there first. I never get mad at her accidents happen I understand that I just clean it up and let her outside. I just don't understand why she thinks she has to eat it. Its like she doesn't want me to see it. I don't know who know how they really think. Its is gross that's for sure this is my first experiance with a pôop eater.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Odie was a poop eater too and would hide his stash in his crate. I am so glad he grew out of it. He was around a year and a half when this nasty habit finally stopped. I just tried to get it before he did and I never scolded him for it.

I'm proud to say my lil man is a non poop eater these days,,,whooopie!!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yes, I was going to recommend pineapple also. Either fresh pineapple or pineapple juice mixed into their food. Do it for a couple weeks and she might stop eating her poop. I tried with Gemma but just saw no improvement so I called it quits. Plus my boyfriend drank all the pineapple juice in less than a week, LOL. I guess it makes their poop taste acidic and they don't like that. But I've heard once you stop feeding them the pineapple, they often go right back to eating their poop.

Purina is a low quality food. We'd like to trust our vets since we expect them to offer the best health advice for our pets, but when it comes to nutrition, most vets are pretty clueless. If you want to look up some of the top quality foods to feed, these two sites are really helpful:

Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

I feed my girl Acana kibble and a few raw chicken meals a week and she still eats her poop, though. Has nothing to do with lacking nutrients because she's getting 5 star nutrition. She's just got a yucky habit!

·
Banned
25 Posts
Hi wagerboy...
Yes I have problem same with you. my chihuahuas also like to eat their poops. Very disgusting. Yeaakk..
I have 24 chihuahua at my home. And there are 6 of them love to eat their poops.
I had tried to put some accent but not working as well.
Yesterday, I found a vitamin at pet shop. they claim that it could rid og eating poops problem. I haven't tried yet. But will let you know when it works. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi and wecome. :) One of my Chi's, Monty is a poop eater. He's also a rescue and it seems like he was doing it out of survival. I heard that giving them orange to snack on would make the poop taste bad and then they wouldn't eat it. Naturally Monty hated the orange pieces, but JJ the one who does eat poop, loved it. Figures.
Recently Monty has backed off of eating poop. I think this may have to do with the fact that I switched dog foods, and the poop is now more squishy, so its harder to pick up and hide. Also I've introduced bully sticks, and he loves chewing on them, so perhaps this is quelling the desire to eat poop? Not sure, but it may be worth trying some of these ideas?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.