Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss's dog just had puppies this past Monday and yesterday she tried eating one of her puppies! She's had four litters and has never done this before...she's always been a great mom!! Is this a normal occurance for dogs? (She's not a Chi...Shepard/Collie mix)

·
Registered
700 Posts
I cant say how normal it is but I had a friend with a dog that ate 2 I think it was of her pups. I have also heard some cats will do this too. I heard that sometimes the momma dog will do it if the puppy it really sickly but dont know for sure.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:eek: Yes is normal...not extremely normal but normal...a LONG time ago we used to have a dog that ate the ENTIRE litter! :shock: after that we didn't like her that much...apparently this happens when the dogs sense the puppies are sick and some other times when let's say you handled them too early and the mom can't recognize the smell so she sees it as a threat to the other puppies....sucks but happens!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I have heard of this. What I was told is that a mom will do this if she senses her puppy is very sick. I never heard about the too much handling causing that but then again I havent heard much about the topic in general. That would have to be a horrifying thing to walk in on. :shock:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:eek: The "too much handling" is very rare...but it happened with my aunts dog (of course, now that i think about it maybe it happened for another reason)...it's like hamsters...they too eat the babies that change scent..my bf's mom took a just born baby hams then put it back the mom sniffed it for a while and ate it! :crybaby: it was sad....and gross!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yap that is normal. When i was a kid my father used to have a dog (medium size, we don't k now what type of dog because it is a mix of everything). But we knew that she was pregnant. However, we never see her litter and we only saw blood.

We believed that she ate all the litter. Which she never did it before because the first time she pregnant, she have 7 babies.

·
Registered
423 Posts
oh my god...that is totally disgusting!!! I don't know it I would be able to handle seeing that!! :crybaby: I had no idea that dogs did that...I know rodents do.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I heard something that was real nasty this guy that my hubby works with he has 2 male chi's and one day one of his daughters found a kitten...new born kitty they had to bottle feed and stuff that night the chi's got to the kitty and the next morning when they awoke they found the kitty was shred apart a leg hear a leg there he had to hurry up and clean up before his daughter woke up...i couldn't imagine how nasty that would have been...

·
Registered
44 Posts
animals are so weird! YUCK! my grandma got a kitten and her name was lucky. they named her lucky because when she was born the mother cat began to eat it and the owners hurried up and took her to the vet and saved her, she only has one ear now and is missing a few toes! so my grandma said she was lucky to be saved :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts