Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a silly question, but does anyone else's chis eat their own poop? It's only been recently that my little guy goes potty and then will stand there and try to eat some of it again. It's super gross and I want to know if anyone else has this problem or how I can stop him from doing it. Please help.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I want to know the same thing! I made a post yesterday asking about deter & for-bid...they're suppose to stop them from eating poo. Gracie only seems to do it when she poops inside. Its like she's trying to get rid of the evidence, but doesn't realize that I can take one whiff of her breath & know she just did it! Its so gross!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been reading that they do it inside to "hide the evidence" because they know they get in trouble if they go inside. That makes sense since we scold dogs for going to the bathroom inside.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
its actually not "trying to hide the evidence" dogs dont feel guitl like that.

its usually 1 of a few reasons
the first could be:
A dogs digestive tract is shorter than ours, and their food is specially treated to have a strong odour...and often (while not to us) to them it still smells good enough. (in otherwords they just like the taste)
the second common reason is:
dogs are naturally clean animals, they will try to keep thier den clean as much as possible, so when messing in their den (usually our own fault for not leting them out soon enough ect) its normal for them to clean their den the only way they know how...they will eat the mess...mother dogs do this with thier pups to keep the nest clean, and adult dogs will eat messes that are outside of their usual potty zone.
they see us picking it up indoors so they try and do the same, but their only way is by eating it...
another possiblity is:
somethings missing from their diet, dogs will often eat their own waste when their diet is lacking so they try to "redigest" whats already passed throguh in order to gain all possible from it.

stuides are showing that the typical thought that the dog is eating it to "hide the evidence" is actually just human justification.

a good way to stop them from doing it is to use a product like deter whihc makes it taste foul. you can also add a little pinapple juice to thier food whihc again changes the smell/taste and makes it not good anymore.

the only other thing you can realy do is to be ontop of the clean up, get to it before your dog does, or make sure you let the dog outside. distraction if you catch them in the act is the best responce (do not punish they dont realize what their doing is "wrong")

this is a very natural behaviour seen in MOST dogs, usually seen most in younger dogs (10weeks to 9months) and usually just passes on its own with time. it seems to be a phase that they pass through.
dodger did it for 2 weeks when he was 5-6months old, it passed quickly and hes never done it since (no products no training) rosie whos 12 weeks old has done it once or twice, usually when shes gone on the pad shell sit and wait looking at it for about 5 minutes, if noones removed it before her alloted time frame shell eat it (trying to keep her den clean)
Vixies never done it, but i didnt get her untill she was almost 7months old.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
foxywench said:
you can also add a little pinapple juice to thier food whihc again changes the smell/taste and makes it not good anymore.
How much pineapple juice would you recommend? I usually feed her about 1/4 cup (maybe a little less) twice a day. That would definitely be cheaper than the deter & for-bid products I've been looking at! And fresh or canned? I'd probably prefer fresh just because I'll use pineapple. Which I'm assuming would be better for her anyways, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
fresh is good, start off with just enough to coat the food and see how she reacts, you could also offer her about 1/8 a cup of juice alone (as a drink) and see if shell take it. some dogs dont like the taste (whihc is when mixing it with the kibble will help. but she can have as much as half a cup a day of crushed pineapple, or pineapple juice.
canned pumkin also aparently has had good results.

they may not work for you, id say using natural food as an addative works in about 50% of the cases, but it might be worth a try before you go shelling out extra money on the chemical product. which aparently has the same chances of working :)
(pumkin also is good when youve got a dog with a loose digestive system as it tends to help with the binding)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
cat poops a very common "buffet" food for dogs, the cats food is sooo high in protein that it comes out smelling like it whent in to a dog and there highly attratched to it..

My guys are weird, the dont like the cat poop, but they do like the litter itself lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help

Thanks for the help.
I'm just going to keep cleaning it up and hope that it's just a phase right now.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I hate to break your heart but it is not a phase. It is a chi thing, or should I say small dog thing. I have tried just about everything you can buy and nothing helps. I have never tried pineapple juice so I might try that.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
yes Twig tries to eat her own and the cat's if she got half a chance - once she did get to the cats poop before me and then promptly threw it up over my brand new cream carpet :(

i have found the best way is as soon as possible train him to not too - perhaps after he poops call him to u and give him a treat then clean the poop up while hes got the treat with a bit of perseverance eventually he will automatically come to you when u call him after and you wont need to treat him anymore and can call him away from the poop so u can clean it up

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also had this problem with Cocoa and I think Zoey may do it every once in awhile. We used Forbid on Cocoa and seems to have worked! But now we have a new problem. We moved into our 1st home about 2 months ago and we have a big fenced in backyard which the girls love but now all 3 of them go rooting in the grass looking for bunny poo! YUCK!!!!

Kristin

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
make sure to keep up on the dewormer for the bunny poop, otherwise it shoudnt cause too many issues! they od have an interesting veiw of fine dining dont they lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts