Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think sometimes they get tired of eating out of the bowl, so I decided to drop some dry kibble in a blanket/bed and let her search for it. She loves it! I don't know if it is like a game or if she feels like a wild dog and is searching for her food. Does anyone else dog like to search for food?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
That sounds so cute!! Cooper doesn't do that, but he'll take a mouthfull of food from his bowl and take it over and drop it on the carpet and eat from there. :D

·
Registered
795 Posts
My moms chi does weird food things too like that, hes 9yrs old. and whenever we feed him, we put his dry in and mix it with a little bit of pro plan wet food, and he eats all the pieces with the pro plan on it first, like the sets all the food that missed the wet food right beside the bowl and eats the rest and then goes back to eat the rest off the floor.....he's so silly i'll just sit there and watch him just smiling like ....goofy boy what r u doing!? lol
*Tiff

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there! A few years ago a study was done on zoo animals and feeding behavior, and it was found that simulating "wild" feeding situations (i.e. working to obtain food) actually increased appetite and overall intelligence. For example, freezing food in large ice cubes for tigers forces them to figure out a way to crack the ice and get the food out. They tie food from high rafters forcing monkeys to climb and use tools to obtain their meals. This principle applies to the idea of "Kongs" and why even a tiny morsel of food in a kong can drive a dog crazy for hours. It's the challenge of the hunt rather than the food itself that is interesting to them, and the food is a reward rather than a given thing. Some vet psychologists believe that some dogs are understimulated, and understimulation during younger years results in slower brain wave stimulation and decreased neural complexity from a mere lack of use. Environmentally stimulating and "challenging" your dog is not just great for their appetite it is great for their intelligence!

I think this is one of the reasons why most small dogs are so intelligent: owners are so attentive and doting that they are stimulated so much as puppies that they learn quickly and have a greater understanding of their surroundings and self-awareness. Funny talking about dog psychology isn't it =)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
If I put Gadgets food on the couch he will pounce on it a few times before he eats it.. then he will take a bite then he will run over someplace and sit and eat it...

I agree that it makes them enjoy eating alittle bit more....

He does that with his milk bones too.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
When we have cookies at nite Auggie gets a dog bone treat and I have to break it in smaller pieces. We always hide a few in his bed He loves searching for them too :lol:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Its always good to play little games with your dogs I always do But its good to see others do I was starting to think I had to much time on my hands...LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts