Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my videos of Zoey & Ziva eating whole prey on Youtube, someone sent me this:
"I never, ever heard of anyone feeding rodents to a dog. If that is considered healthy, then I am definitely sticking to kibble!

Boy, if any one ever found a rodent in dry kibble, they would be suing the manufacture..Lol!"

How would you respond? I want to reply in a courteous but educational manner.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would just say...ummm...

Jeesh...I don't even know. Maybe say raw feeding doesn't REQUIRE whole prey, but that it is an option if its something you can stomach?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I wouldnt feed a rodent to Honey.
Maybe say what Kristi said?
I feed honey raw but not whole raw
Honestly if I ever saw her with a
mouse I think I would vomit!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm just waiting for a comment like that on one of my raw videos. LOL

I don't know for sure what I'd say but something with the basic info on raw & then something about whole prey being exact meat/bone/organ ratio & being basically what a small dog would be eating in the wild.

Obviously if they found a rodent in their bag of kibble it would be decayed and/or rotten. You could mention the road kill or uthanized animals that *may* be in their kibble. LOL

You know I have no problem feeding whole prey. The reason I've not gone the mouse route is simply because I haven't found any that weren't expensive as heck. I did almost get some from hare-today & still may in the future. These animals are raised & killed for the same reason any other meat source is for dogs, cats, farrets and of course even humans! The whole prey just have a more natural wrapping. ;)

A rabbit is a rodent & a lot of raw feeders feed that. I think people automatically see mice as dirty & diseased little critters. Raised in appropriate conditions they're just as good as anything else....

Sorry that doesn't give you any ideas on how to reply. You'll have to let us know what you say to them!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
See you're so nice I'd want to day something about how disguting I find their kibble haha

I'd put what heather said then and also put a comment about researching to what exactly goes into dog food ;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would just say something about kibble being a food of convenience, marketed to the busy masses, and they should investigate exactly what is IN their kibble. Maybe give them links that point them toward discovery such as:

The true horrors of pet food revealed: Prepare to be shocked by what goes into dog food and cat food

Ask them what did dogs eat before there was kibble? They ate leftovers from the family dinner and they hunted or were given scraps from hunters! A dog's digestive system is perfectly adapted to eating whole prey. And the less processed - the better!

Does that person think that snakes should be fed kibble pellets? What does he think they feed the carnivores in the zoo? A more natural way of raising dogs is in the cards, whether he likes it or not.

Nobody is holding a gun to his head making him watch youtube videos. There's a LOT on there that's very offensive to me. If it's offensive, I certainly don't sit there and watch it!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is what I wrote:
I have done tons of research on it, and feel this is the best diet I can provide for my dogs (as well as Zoey is tons healthier on it she is off of 3 of her long term meds and we are working at getting her off all of them). By feeding whole prey mice I am simulating what they would eat in the wild if they were to catch their own food. I feed what is called Prey Model Raw where I 'simulate' the whole prey by either feeding whole prey (such as the mice) or by feeding a mixture of meats etc to make up whole prey. I feed 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver & 5% other secreting organs. I strive for balance over a week. Meaning, they get organs twice a week, bones twice a week to make up a total of 10% of the diet for bones, and 10% for the organs. A dog's digestive system is perfectly adapted to eating whole prey. And the less processed it is - the better it is for them! What did dogs eat before kibble was invented? They ate the leftovers/scraps/raw food from humans. Kibble was invented for convenience, not because it's healthier for them. What can be in kibble? A BIG portion of why I chose to get my dogs off kibble....my dogs are NOT cannibals.
The true horrors of pet food revealed: Prepare to be shocked by what goes into dog food and cat food

Taken from: Raw Fed Dogs - Natural Prey Model Rawfeeding Diet
"The anatomy and physiology of every dog, whether domestic or wild, is that of a meat eater. Canines have evolved over countless generations to be carnivores, so they are naturally designed to consume and digest the whole, raw carcasses of prey animals. For this very simple, basic reason, feeding dogs a steady diet of cooked, canned or kibbled commercially manufactured, so-called pet “foods” is clearly not a species appropriate diet for them. Such an unnatural, inappropriate diet puts a strain on a dog’s entire system and may very well, over the course of time, take a serious toll on the health of dogs being fed this way.

The closer we can approximate the raw diet that Nature has designed canines to eat - a diet they have been eating successfully for eons - the more natural, digestible and appropriate their diet will be. And the closer we can come to modelling our dogs’ diets this way, upon Nature’s ideal, the more the natural benefits of eating this way will impact their overall health and well being.

A whole raw foods, or prey model, diet for dogs can be comprised of a combination of a variety of whole, raw, small carcasses, (for example small game hens, chickens, duck, quail, rabbits, mice, rats and/or fish) along with a variety of different parts of other, larger carcasses, (such as things like turkey, lamb, goat, pork, ostrich, emu, elk, venison and/or beef) which are fed over time in the relative proportions that are found in the average prey animal. The idea is that the overall diet be comprised of a similar ratio of body parts that Nature uses to make up whole carcasses.

Basic Proportions of a Prey Critter

These proportions of body parts are relatively the same in virtually every prey animal, and the percentages of these ratios are, approximately:
80–85% meat (besides boneless muscle meat, this can and should also include things like fat, skin, sinew, tendons, cartilage and any other soft connective tissue etc.)
10% edible bone
5-10% organs (with half that amount being liver)

These percentages, although approximate, should serve as the basic guidelines for your dog’s diet. These exact proportions do not need to be fed at each and every meal, but rather should combine to comprise the overall diet over the course of time.

To make up for the fact that most all of the raw meat that’s readily available to us to feed our dogs does not come from wild, pastured or foraging animals, whose flesh would naturally contain a greater concentration of the vital nutrients that dogs require for good health, but instead is farmed for human consumption, it’s important when feeding a prey model diet to provide as much of a variety of different kinds of meats as possible."

You can learn more about how/what I feed by the following links:
This is my blog and I have tons of links & information posted:
My Little Carnivores

Why feed prey model raw:
Why PMR? | Prey Model Raw

Benefits of feeding Prey Model Raw:
Benefits of PMR | Prey Model Raw

Myths about Raw
The Many Myths of Raw Feeding

What Vet's say about raw food:
What Vets Say about Raw Pet Food for Dogs and Cats

Dogs are Carnivores
Dogs Are Carnivores
http://www.thewholedog.org/NHMVTheOmnivoreCarnivoreQuest.pdf

Let me know if you have any further questions

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Dang, girl! Weren't you nice to provide so much information and to take the high road. :)
That was actually what I was going to suggest you say and provide links. Good job! :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Heather - excellent post!!! Whether or not the nay sayer responds or not, you never know who might swing by your video and see that info. Great job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts