Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Kalisee to see the vet today for her shots and to look at this little pimple on her wee (which he said was nothing and just to leave it)...so hes checking her out and everything is perfect..little oinker is 2.4 kgs (about 5 pounds).

He takes our his pad and writes Effipro for fleas and ticks and tells me to spray her with it as a percaution. She doesnt have a single flea or tick but he told me to get it and spray her with it anyway.

I told him I didnt plan to put anything like that on her and he said that we should do it once a month because if she gets fleas or ticks it will be very hard to get rid of.

Does anyone actually use this? Is it dangerous? I really dont want to start putting chemicals on her "as a percaution". This has fipronil in it, which I have no idea what it is.

Thanks for reading!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
My vets said not to use any flea medicine unless he already has fleas. As long as you're thorough it's not that hard to get rid of fleas. My inlays have a cat that gets fleas occasionally and they just comb him with a flea comb. Not one of my dogs has ever had a single flea.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once he mentioned it, I told him that I dont find the need to put chemicals on her without her needing such a thing..and even if she did, I would prefer to look for something more natural than spraying stuff on her..then girl that helps him rolled her eyes like I was some kind of moron or something.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think I would find another vet. Do you have the spot on type flea, mosquito, tick stuff there? There is no need to spray the whole pup down!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I would find another vet. Do you have the spot on type flea, mosquito, tick stuff there? There is no need to spray the whole pup down!
I dont know what is available here because I haven't found anything on her ever and I never thought that she might need something like that.

I am considering changing vets because a couple of things haven't seemed quite right. The vet I had years ago for our first dog moved too far and I didnt have much of a choice. He was wonderful.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'd change vet if I were you. If you're going to face that attitude any time you have an opinion I wouldn't want to be going there. It seems like they just want to push the most expensive thing they can. How can you respect or trust the opinion of someone who goes for the most expensive option, doesn't care how many chemicals are getting added to your dog and has said the opposite of other vets. I'd have a look for someone new. I'm sorry you had to come up against such behaviour and attitudes.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ah, the 'ol flea comb trick - what happens when an egg laden female, or god forbid, a couple of them either escape the comb or fly through the air onto the floor and the user doesn't see them to manually squish them along with every other one? And what of the eggs and half grown fleas that have fallen off the cat or dog before they were noticed on it - scary stuff imo!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would NEVER "change vets" simply over them making a product recommendation, wtf is that about??? Sometimes I soooooo wish we had a vet or vet student on this forum.

Have problem or potential one? .... vets WILL recommend a chemical or surgery - they can only do what they KNOW works. There's no way on god's green earth a vet is going to tell you to start using toe of lizard, eye of newt, bladder of bat when he knows there's a huge window of opportunity to FAIL to cure the problem with such a al naturale, oft times BS concoctions compared to those where $1m's has been spent in R&D for years (not to say that makes them right or non-dangerous but they sure as hell do WORK as they're designed to). I will always use the evil poisons, antibiotics etc at the first sign of infestation or illness, it sure as heck beats the consequences, which can be rather final and conclusive, namely, DEATH!!

Perhaps this vet knows there's a particularly bad outbreak of fleas in Greece this year and he's seeing the illnesses, tapeworms etc. streaming in to his surgery as a result, perhaps his mates the Doctors have been telling him of the number of people getting tapeworms from their pets who got them from their fleas?

Puts flaming suit on .... flame away, flame away, you know you want to, again, mwahahahaha.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Actually, Dee, I'm with you. I would rather prevent then try to treat after the infestation. And it does work and is as safe as they can make it. So, we use it.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I too would rather prevent than treat. I do a spot on topical treatment with Toby. I give 1/2 a dose every month. I live in an area where fleas and ticks are a major problem and without the topical I would definitely have problems.

I don't think I would change vets over this. Maybe discuss with him that you are looking at several options and haven't decided what you want to do. Tell him that YOU and ONLY YOU will make decisions for your dog, and you appreciate the information but you will decide and they must respect that. They can only recommend what they know. I wouldn't fault them for telling you the information but I would definitely have a talk about the attitude problems.

A spot on topical like Frontline, Advantage, or Advantix are probably the best option for you. You can give 1/4 or 1/2 a dose to minimize risk. I have never heard of the spray you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Puts flaming suit on .... flame away, flame away, you know you want to, again, mwahahahaha.

I would never flame you for having an opinion, I dont recall doing that and you have a rightly-so very logical opinion at that. I am thankful for your input!

My issue was that I didnt want to spray my girl with chemicals "just because" I understand the need of prevention but I was hoping there was another way without chemicals since she has nothing on her.

Let me just clarify...I am not considering changing vets because of this incident. Product recommendation is not the problem. The rolling of the eyes annoyed me in this instance but I had a few issues with him when I started using him that didnt sit quite right with me and trust me, I am not a difficult person.

I dont want my girl to get bugs on her.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I agree that spot treatments work great for us as well. On the way home from getting Chloe we stopped at a rest area and she got fleas (I realize how stupid that was now.) So, we had to use stuff to get rid of them. IT WAS HORRIBLE! I never want her to get fleas again! Luckily we did get rid of them, but prevention is the best option. We only use half of a dose due to Chloe size. I've never heard of the spray he's talking about. Spot treatments seem to work better. I'm just guessing, but it seems like a spray could possibly cause respiratory problems long term. I would definitely do a lot of research on it. You're right to question the vet. I wouldn't leave over that once instance, but if there are several things that have bothered you then you have every right to find a new one!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I would never flame you for having an opinion, I dont recall doing that and you have a rightly-so very logical opinion at that. I am thankful for your input!

Let me just clarify...I am not considering changing vets because of this incident. Product recommendation is not the problem. The rolling of the eyes annoyed me
No, no, I didn't mean YOU flaming me, good grief, lol. No, I was referring to someone else who tried to chew me up & spit me out so very rudely the other day (on the eye of newt, spleen of bat, a la naturale flea issue) especially when so many others share exactly the same idea & opinions as me on this incredibly important subject (doesn't get more important than tape-worm imo).

Also, I was just expressing dismay at the number of people who're often times very quick to say, "Change vets, change vets" over the most (to me & my way of thinking) trivial, ridiculous or weird things as is the case with this vet's recommendation for IF you get a problem - to me I think it's brilliant that he's thinking ahead & taking a moment to recommend, whilst others are saying, "change, change, change".

I've dealt with vets more in the last 35 years than most people would in 20 lifetimes and have become reasonably good at "picking 'em" and playing musical chairs with vets can be very counter-productive, especially when there may not be many close at hand and far worse if they're the best at what they do - ask around of breeders, kennels, stables, farms etc. as to who's the best & worst and why before making decisions imo & ime.

I always form a real tight bond/mateship with my vet/s, whether I like them personally or not (if not I pretend 110% I do) because, besides my Doctor, they're the most important people I rely on in life, so they've got to feel like your best buddies, they'll go to the ends of the earth for you, and other patients are left thinking & saying, "What's she got that I haven't???" Learnt that decades ago and have had vets getting out of bed at 3 a.m. or meeting me at the surgery on a Sunday.

As for that rude little cow vet nurse - I would've levelled my gaze at her, raised an eyebrow and said, "And your problem with that is what exactly, Miss????" She would've stuttered, stammered and said, "Oh, no, nothing, I don't have a problem at all, it's your dog and choice umm, eerrr...." and I would've then said, "Well I'll thank you not to roll your eyes in such a rude manner, I find it highly offensive" - her boss would be highly pi$$ed off and embarrassed, she'd be mortified, embarrassed and certain to never do that again to anyone who has expressed their own opinion.

You gotta call people out, I don't understand why so many people just take what other morons choose to dish out to them without speaking up for themselves - smack the fools between the eyes with well chosen words, how else will they ever learn? I was at the Dentist, he & I were having a conversation prior to him drilling and once he started drilling the Nurse starts going on & on about religious stuff and stating that her Boss' and my experiences, opinions & thoughts were wrong because a book said so. Well, I eventually sat bolt upright, addressed her with much more civility than she had us, and I reckon she would still blush to this day whenever she remembers that incident. I'll bet she hasn't dared ever preach to another patient being drilled, therefore unable to argue with her, since though :) We pay these clowns to fix us/our pets, not rattle our chains or challenge our beliefs, and it's so much fun reminding them of their position, they actually respect you for it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, no, I didn't mean YOU flaming me, good grief, lol. No, I was referring to someone else who tried to chew me up & spit me out so very rudely the other day (on the eye of newt, spleen of bat, a la naturale flea issue) especially when so many others share exactly the same idea & opinions as me on this incredibly important subject (doesn't get more important than tape-worm imo).
Oh, I didn't realize you got flamed for that, I missed it. Sorry to hear, I am way sure you did not deserve it!

I see what you are saying about changing vets or doctors. I have a sickening tolerance level and I dont like to nit pick, but once then twice..bah! Time to move on! Let me pick your brain a moment, since you seem to know how to put people in their place...and anyone else's opinion is valued.

Scenario.. You have an almost 4 month old chihuahua, very frightened of the vet. You know your dog is going to bite the vet so you tell him before he even touches her. He puts a little muzzle on (which is fine) but she is squiggling all over the place and trying to scramble off the table...The vet decides to grab her by the scruff of her neck, lift her high in the air while she squeals and paws and Dr. Death yells loudly..."Heeeeey!!!! You better stop that you wild chihuahua or your vaccine is really going to hurt!!"

My daughter who is almost 12 was floored. (she wants to be a vetrenarian one day). I reached up and took her and said "I will hold her.. shes afraid of heights, no need to shake her up more than she is".

My daughter says "Ow! I won't do that to my dog" .

His reply was "I didnt hurt her, she is just scared. Chihuahuas need to know who is boss. I have one too."

She said "We are the bosses and Kalisee listens to us but now she is scared"

His reply "Pffft!! She will forget about it in 2 minutes from now".

She gets her shot, muzzle off...she was ok..stopped having a freak attack. I put her leash on and we went over to his desk. My girl was jumping and playing under the desk and he turns to my human daughter and says "See?? She is fine, I didn't kill her!" Then he told me about the spray and asked for his fee.

I know I was too nice about it..I paid the man, didn't say anything to eye-rolling girl. Truth is, his bedside manner is not likeable but he is the only vet in the area that I can use at this time and I know that if I need him, I will find him easily as he is reliable in that aspect. She has one last visit in 3 weeks. If I go, I will certainly make it known that I was upset with this last visit and did not want to conflict at that time and I was biting my tongue. I have regreted not saying something yesterday.​

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

Oh, I didn't realize you got flamed for that, I missed it. Sorry to hear, I am way sure you did not deserve it!

I see what you are saying about changing vets or doctors. I have a sickening tolerance level and I dont like to nit pick, but once then twice..bah! Time to move on! Let me pick your brain a moment, since you seem to know how to put people in their place...and anyone else's opinion is valued.

Scenario.. You have an almost 4 month old chihuahua, very frightened of the vet. You know your dog is going to bite the vet so you tell him before he even touches her. He puts a little muzzle on (which is fine) but she is squiggling all over the place and trying to scramble off the table...The vet decides to grab her by the scruff of her neck, lift her high in the air while she squeals and paws and Dr. Death yells loudly..."Heeeeey!!!! You better stop that you wild chihuahua or your vaccine is really going to hurt!!"

My daughter who is almost 12 was floored. (she wants to be a vetrenarian one day). I reached up and took her and said "I will hold her.. shes afraid of heights, no need to shake her up more than she is".

My daughter says "Ow! I won't do that to my dog" .

His reply was "I didnt hurt her, she is just scared. Chihuahuas need to know who is boss. I have one too."

She said "We are the bosses and Kalisee listens to us but now she is scared"

His reply "Pffft!! She will forget about it in 2 minutes from now".

She gets her shot, muzzle off...she was ok..stopped having a freak attack. I put her leash on and we went over to his desk. My girl was jumping and playing under the desk and he turns to my human daughter and says "See?? She is fine, I didn't kill her!" Then he told me about the spray and asked for his fee.

I know I was too nice about it..I paid the man, didn't say anything to eye-rolling girl. Truth is, his bedside manner is not likeable but he is the only vet in the area that I can use at this time and I know that if I need him, I will find him easily as he is reliable in that aspect. She has one last visit in 3 weeks. If I go, I will certainly make it known that I was upset with this last visit and did not want to conflict at that time and I was biting my tongue. I have regreted not saying something yesterday.​
This would NOT be acceptable at all to me! It is not his place to grab her like that and speak like that to her or you or your daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I once had a puppy mill mama 7 yrs old when I adopted her. It took months for her to be comfortable with me, let alone other people (never did happen). I took her to another vet who did implant micro chips (long time ago, my vet didn't). Well the vet grabbed her by the scruff. I said immediately, please don't do that, she won't bite. Well of course damage was already done. Fortunaely we didn't have to go back to this vet. I know that many chihuahuas bite. But ask the owner for heaven's sake! I learned from this, and now I tell a new vet (haven't had a new one for years) that they don't bite.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
prevent or treat spot on, it's up to you! Miya gets flea meds for prevention when it's hot. From around March-October.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
My holistic Vet got me Petri-Repel ingredients lemongrass oil 4% cinnamon oil 1%I sesame oil 1% castle oil 0.5% purified water 93.5%

Vetri-Science: dog vitamins, horse supplements, joint support health products, glucosamine chondroitn, glycoflex products, nutrition

I have the spray and the wipes. I requested this as we ha e a major tick infestation (even I was being treated for lymes) and I was taking my kids to a few places that might have or definitely has fleas and ticks. (Picnic in state park etc) I was impressed as we had no hitchhikers and being all natural made me feel better using it as a precaution

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My holistic Vet got me Petri-Repel ingredients lemongrass oil 4% cinnamon oil 1%I sesame oil 1% castle oil 0.5% purified water 93.5%

Vetri-Science: dog vitamins, horse supplements, joint support health products, glucosamine chondroitn, glycoflex products, nutrition

I have the spray and the wipes. I requested this as we ha e a major tick infestation (even I was being treated for lymes) and I was taking my kids to a few places that might have or definitely has fleas and ticks. (Picnic in state park etc) I was impressed as we had no hitchhikers and being all natural made me feel better using it as a precaution
Thats it! Thanks! That was what I was hoping, that there was something other than chemicals. I wonder if I can find that here..

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Not sure of they have that there but I posted the ingredients so you can order online or find something similar in ingredients. ;)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Anna, if that vet thinks she won't remember his treatment of her, he doesn't know dogs memorys very well. Our first Maltese Lacy never forgot ANYTHING. Also, we have been staying with my mother-in-law once a week for a year and a half since my father-in-law died. Well, Lulu didn't take to her right away because that is Lulu's nature and it really bothered her. One night about a month after we had been staying my MIL walked over beside me and grabbed Lulu out of my lap before Lulu and I knew what had happened. Now, I certainly didn't care if she held Lulu, but Lulu did! To this day if my MIL moves in the same room with Lulu, she will jump out of my lap and hide behind a table to make sure my MIL can't "get" her. lol They don't forget! There were two vets in the previous vet I used--a male and a female. It was obvious the female didn't care for chihuahuas. I just made sure I could see the male if at all possible. I am fortunate where I live there is a vet on every corner practically. I think the world of my previous vet as a person, but he made several major mistakes I could not overlook. I am sorry you are forced to go back to that person again because if it were me and there was any other way I would NEVER go back AGAIN. As for flea prevention, of course, prevention is better that treatment. If you can go holistically great. It has not worked for me where I live, but I do not automatically treat once a month. If Lulu scratches and I find 1 flea I immediately treat with capstar which kills fleas within 30 min for up to 48 hours but does not kill eggs. That just allows time for the monthly flea treatment to kick in and start working. Lulu is very flea sensitive, so if she has one flea she scratches like a crazy dog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts