Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Elmo has acid Reflux :(
We have been to the vet and have been given some liquid meds to take onen hr before his tea and then at bedtime. He was/is vomiting bile and crying:(
The vet says it should right itself in 4 days or so. He was at the vets on Monday but had another episode early this morning- he sleeps with me and was wimpering to get down because he wanted to be sick poor wee thing.
He is on James Wellbeloved kibble, and is fed three times a day and was ut on a diet by the vet has reached his target weight of just over 5 pounds.
He gets kibble in the morning and a snack at lunchtime and his tea.
I'm wondering if yoghurt would help?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Isn't he clever ,telling you he wants to get down instead of doing it on your bed.I have used yoghurt once when my old Sheltie had the runs and it did help

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Was he vomiting bile? (yellowish, foamy on an empty stomach). Usually that happens when they are anticipating a meal. Do you feed a the same time every day? That causes their little stomachs to start producing acid in anticipation of a meal. What might help is to vary feeding times by several hours either way. Never feed at exactly the same time. That way his stomach won't be anticipating food until it's put in front of him and he won't produce that liquid/bile that causes the vomiting and upset tummy. So some days he might eat at 6am, sometimes not until 10am and so on. It really does help and it will keep you from having to pump a bunch of meds into his little tummy. :)

Also a biscuit or cookie before bedtime will help him to avoid the early morning bile vomits as well. But varying feeding times significantly should solve your problem.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. going to try and experiment with his food/feeding times and give him a snack at night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts