Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed ZP asking about freezing the food. I included my dogs weights and ages in the email. Here is the reply:

Hi Marisa,

Thanks for contacting us.

The profile of the food will change by eight to nine weeks if not consumed in this time frame. It's a true meat food.
I wouldn't freeze either as this will change the profile also. From a 2.2lb bag you will get approx 12 servings.

The 6lb & 5.5lb Chihuahuas are puppies until two years as not fully developed internally until then.
So you feed double the amount we say and in your case it was be as follows for both dogs:

1 scoop divided into two meals. 1/2 scoop in the morning and same at night.
Keep an eye on the weight and increase accordingly.

Once reaching two years of age, then work off our feeding guide.

Also, feed a raw meat bones at least three to four times per week. This keeps the teeth, gum and gut health in balance. Shank bones with the marrow are the best to start with. Primal, Bravo or Tuckers are good brands to look for at retailers who sell meat diets.

This will also ensure never, ever going to a health professional for teeth cleans EVER! The bones must be raw, not cooked, and will keep those teeth white also ensuring with Ziwi no breath problems and no smell from the body.
Also don't shampoo the doggie ever, as not good for PH of the skin. You start shampooing and you upset the balance. If you are on a natural diet there is not smell from the animal.

Hope this helps and come back if you need more help.

Cheers
Kimberly

I would like to follow their recommendations, but 1 whole scoop of ZP seems like a lot. I haven't ever fed them only ZP long term so I am not sure how much they really need. Right now I am giving a bit over 1/2 scoop per day to each. Should I add in a little more? They always seem hungry, but I think that is just a chi thing.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Since they are spayed, they will not need the full puppy requirement; I feed spayed pets as adults once recovered from surgery and have never had a problem. This is AKC's recommendation as well.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
She is one of the co-founders. I have really appreciated her communication. I was surprised the first time she answered me directly.

I feed between 1/3 and 1/2 scoop 2x/day. I just ordered some 1/4 cup aluminum scoops since they get a bit less than 1/4 cup at each meal.

Since they all are either a bit too thin (Eden and Ruby) or just right (Hope) I have not reduced amount fed.

I have not given bones. I should, I am just ignorant to them. I am also leery of anything new with Hope's tummy issues. Even the Real Meat brand venison treats softened her stools. I am passing on to a lady who works for me. She feeds her dogs junk so I felt like it would be a good thing for them.
I am getting my chicks Ziwipeak deer antlers.

I read not to freeze so I do not. I am a rule follower...haha!

I very rarely bathe my girls. Honestly, they are inside 95+% of their time. Since they are smooth and not much on ground, they do not get dirty. They do not smell and their coats are soft and silky.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've never frozen ZP either, I just let it sit on the shelf. I figure once I open the bag I need to use it up in under a month, though. I think ZP is a great food, but I also think that it is possible this lady is not familiar with growth and development in toy breed dogs. They mature much earlier than other breeds. While some continue to put on minimal amounts of weight between 9 - 18 months, their true GROWTH is done, filling out continues, but growth plates close by 10 months on 99% of chis.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Karen. You have good cause to be leery of adding new stuff to hope's diet with all of the problems you had. I can assure you, though, that raw bones caused no issues with Lion's tummy and he had many problems as a puppy also. I would like to try those antlers too- let us know how your girls like them!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never frozen ZP either, I just let it sit on the shelf. I figure once I open the bag I need to use it up in under a month, though. I think ZP is a great food, but I also think that it is possible this lady is not familiar with growth and development in toy breed dogs. They mature much earlier than other breeds. While some continue to put on minimal amounts of weight between 9 - 18 months, their true GROWTH is done, filling out continues, but growth plates close by 10 months on 99% of chis.
I don't usually freeze it either, but I am buying an 11lb bag so I will need to freeze some. I think it will be fine- it won't be frozen for more than a month or two.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm guessing the 8-9 weeks thing refers to once the bag is opened, right?? I got a trial sample in the mail and doesn't expire until next year; I have NOT opened it and was just planning to keep it in my dogs emergency kit for some horrible day this winter when we get snowed in and no electricity. (Though I guess if its freezing out we could still store the raw diet in a cooler in the yard.. =P) Anyway, for SOME emergency lol. Since it hasn't been opened I assumed it was okay to hang on to it.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm guessing the 8-9 weeks thing refers to once the bag is opened, right?? I got a trial sample in the mail and doesn't expire until next year; I have NOT opened it and was just planning to keep it in my dogs emergency kit for some horrible day this winter when we get snowed in and no electricity. (Though I guess if its freezing out we could still store the raw diet in a cooler in the yard.. =P) Anyway, for SOME emergency lol. Since it hasn't been opened I assumed it was okay to hang on to it.
Yes I am pretty sure she means 8-9 weeks after the bag is opened.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've never frozen ZP either, I just let it sit on the shelf. I figure once I open the bag I need to use it up in under a month, though..
Once I open a bag of ZP I put it in an airtight Vittles Vault. It's also safe from dirt, bugs, etc. in there. It always smells really fresh and feels soft and chewy when it's first taken out. (It is noticably drier and stiffer after sitting in Teddy's bowl for a few hours.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I recived two sample bags of vp venison and I've been using it as a topper twice a day ontop of totw (giving them less of totw I normally would).

I've been using it for about a week and I'm still on the first bag (0.8oz). I also ordered a 2.2lb bag of the lamb, which I dont have yet.

They chew on bully sticks, knee bones, antlers and beef tendons throughout the day ( they last forever!)

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I wonder if portioning the ZP into ziploc bags and keeping them sealed until you need them, even if they aren't frozen, would keep it fresh longer? I will email the rep back and ask.

On another note, I told my BF about the email I received from the rep. He is now convinced that I am starving them.... lol. I explained that usually the amount on the bag is too much anyways, but he thinks they need "extra" now. He always gets so concerned they aren't eating enough, but they are both at an ideal body condition right now.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I freeze it because, unfortunately, if it's not super fresh - Brody won't eat it. Once you open the bag, I think it does start getting stale. (Or he thinks it does!) Feeding it only occasionally to ONE dog means a bag lasts me forever. Maybe I should put it an airtight container though instead as Kaila suggested. That is probably a good compromise.

Let us know what the company says about ziplocks Missy.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Because I am a geek and have read their brochure cover to cover and the site page by page, they suggest that they material of their bag is specifically made to store it in.
Natural Range Of Premium Pet-food Products - Ziwipeak - Natural New Zealand Pet Nutrition

I have one of those big Rubbermaid breakfast cereal storage containers. It perfectly holds a 2.2 bag. I figure that keeps it very fresh. That said, since I date the outside of each newly opened bag with a Sharpie I have discovered that with adding my third, a bag lasts us just 9-10 days so no real risk of it going stale!

·
Registered
225 Posts
She is one of the co-founders. I have really appreciated her communication. I was surprised the first time she answered me directly.

I feed between 1/3 and 1/2 scoop 2x/day. I just ordered some 1/4 cup aluminum scoops since they get a bit less than 1/4 cup at each meal.

Since they all are either a bit too thin (Eden and Ruby) or just right (Hope) I have not reduced amount fed.

I have not given bones. I should, I am just ignorant to them. I am also leery of anything new with Hope's tummy issues. Even the Real Meat brand venison treats softened her stools. I am passing on to a lady who works for me. She feeds her dogs junk so I felt like it would be a good thing for them.
I am getting my chicks Ziwipeak deer antlers.

I read not to freeze so I do not. I am a rule follower...haha!

I very rarely bathe my girls. Honestly, they are inside 95+% of their time. Since they are smooth and not much on ground, they do not get dirty. They do not smell and their coats are soft and silky.
By 1/3 or 1/2 a scoop do you mean using the scoop that comes with the zp bag?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
That sounds like a lot of ZP for 5-6 lb chi. Frankie weighs nearly 10 lbs and he gets 1/2 scoop in morning and a little more than 1/2 scoop at night. I also divide the 2.2 lb bag into 4 small rubbermaid sealed bowls. When I use up one bowl I go to next. Keeps moist and fresh that way.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Also clearly she has never had a dog roll in deer sh*t. That requires shampooing IMO!

LMAO!! Soooo true. ;)

We don't freeze...even the 11lb bag as it only lasts 3 weeks for us. But we HAVE frozen before & it's seemed just like new when we fed it. I don't understand how freezing changes the profiles any more than freezing raw meat? But whatever...I didn't design the food. LOL

My Chi that eats the most gets 1 scoop per day. She is 7lbs & has a SUPER high metabolism. Lulu is 4lbs 5oz & almost 9mo & she gets about 3/4 scoop per day & is a bit chunky. You *could* up their food but if they're in good body condition I'd say that's most important. I like keeping Lulu chunky just so I know she's getting what she needs to grow. Marley was a skinny puppy & I hated it. He evened out eventually but until I started adding a tbsp of wet ZP a day for him there was no getting him up in weight. But he was on prey model too. It's easier to chunk them up on ZP I think.

We always keep ZP in it's bag. It's thicker than a ziplock & seals just fine. I just am sure to squeeze all the air I possibly can before sealing it. Seems just as fresh in the 3rd week as it does in the first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.