Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have one? I want to put together a first aid kit for my chis. I would like to include stuff they might need for an upset stomach, hypoglycemia, allergic reaction, etc. Here is my list, let me know of anything else I should add:

Benadryl
Pedialyte
Canned Pumpkin
Hydrogen Peroxide (in case they swallow something toxic and vomiting needs to be induced)
Thermometer
NutriCal
Flea Comb
Powder to stop bleeding in nails (I forget the name).

I know there is a sticky for this, but I thought I would ask what everyone else has in their kit to see what I should add.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have one by default. MANY trips to vet and ER vet with Hope means that I have amassed quite a collection. Amoxicillian in the fridge, Entederm antibiotic cream, metronidazole drops, prescription ear drops and wash and now even 4 oral syringes prefilled with Buprenex. I'd highly recommend that no one go through the craziness that allowed us to collect this home veterinary pharmacy!!

The much more normal stuff you have listed is great. I agree on adding the Pepto. I do not have the styptic powder, flea comb and I was too nervous to buy Pedialyte again after we were done with it but I should get some soon.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one by default. MANY trips to vet and ER vet with Hope means that I have amassed quite a collection. Amoxicillian in the fridge, Entederm antibiotic cream, metronidazole drops, prescription ear drops and wash and now even 4 oral syringes prefilled with Buprenex. I'd highly recommend that no one go through the craziness that allowed us to collect this home veterinary pharmacy!!

The much more normal stuff you have listed is great. I agree on adding the Pepto. I do not have the styptic powder, flea comb and I was too nervous to buy Pedialyte again after we were done with it but I should get some soon.

Wow, it sounds like you have your own pharmacy there! I know what you mean.. After Lion had to go to the vet for a bad upset tummy (definitely not as bad as Hope's though!) I had a pretty good collection of anti vomiting meds and antibiotics.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Lets see what else you can add...
How about...
-manicure scissors
-tweezers
-sterile gloves
-gauze
-medical tape
-antiseptic towelettes
-sting relief pads
-hand sanitizer
-bandaids

I think you named the rest, if I remember what else is in my kits I'll add it on.
I always carry one in my purse and hubby carries one in his hiking bag.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
ok, I went and checked, I also have...
-Antibiotic ointment
-Styptic powder
-Eye wash
-Pepto
-Benadryl
-Aspirin
-Q-tips
-Flashlight
and of course TREATS! (to the dog it's the most important,lol)

this is just my emergency kits, at home it's a pharmacy, both for us and the dogs.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I suggest you add infant Mylicon. It's a gas relief product that the Vet suggested I keep on hand after Tango had an episode where he started throwing up this foamy, white stuff. I've used it several times with Tango, and once with Jazz, and it handled the gassy issues with both of them thoroughly.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
ok, I went and checked, I also have...
-Antibiotic ointment
-Styptic powder
-Eye wash
-Pepto
-Benadryl
-Aspirin
-Q-tips
-Flashlight
and of course TREATS! (to the dog it's the most important,lol)

this is just my emergency kits, at home it's a pharmacy, both for us and the dogs.
I'm new to all of this, just curious why we would need some of these items? They can be given to chi's just as they are given to humans, what size doses? I know you all aren't docs (maybe you are), just curious

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm new to all of this, just curious why we would need some of these items? They can be given to chi's just as they are given to humans, what size doses? I know you all aren't docs (maybe you are), just curious
We personally need these emergency kits in case something happens and the vet office is out of reach.
My husband for example often goes camping and/or hiking. The kits helped our pups many times.
I am not a vet and do not claim to be. I simply stated the contents of my dogs' first aid kits, as reference for people who are considering putting together their own kit.
There is no such thing as "dog medication", it is all the same as ours.
The only difference is the dosage and packaging. For that you should consult your vet, so he/she can tell you the right dose for the weight of your dog.
Here is my list again, I clarified what the items and meds are for.

-sterile gloves
-gauze
-antiseptic towelettes
-sting relief pads
-hand sanitizer
-Q-tips
-Flashlight
-Eye wash (to flush injured eyes)
-Pepto (to relieve stomach acid)
-medical tape (to hold swabs/gauze in place)
-manicure scissors (to cut the bandages/gauze)
-Benadryl (for allergic reactions, insect stings)
-Styptic powder (to stop the bleeding of a quick)
-Buffered Aspirin (for pain relief, anti inflammatory)
-Antibiotic ointment (for small wounds, infections, bites)
-bandaids (to protect wound from further injury or infection)
-tweezers (for pulling/removing ticks, thorns, large splinters or other foreign bodies )

-Canned Pumpkin was also mentioned, it's to help constipation.
-Hydrogen Peroxide was also mentioned, it's for inducing vomiting after accidental poison ingestion.

I'd like to repeat, this is for an emergency kit, it is not intended to replace veterinary care, but to give FIRST AID until you can get professional help.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
thank you, that's helpful. I am gathering all sorts of info. BTW, where did you find that cute striped outfit Chanel is wearing in that photo?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
thank you, that's helpful. I am gathering all sorts of info. BTW, where did you find that cute striped outfit Chanel is wearing in that photo?
No problem :)
Chanel is wearing a Hip Doggie "Fleur de Lys, Zebra" hoodie.
I think you can order it online. I'm not sure where sorry.
I have a close friend that gets Hip Doggie stuff for me from the States.
It's really good quality, survives the washing machine, and keeps Chanel warm on cooler days! :)

not sure if you can order it from here or if they just sell wholesale, but here it is...

Super Soft Zebra Hoodie - Hip Doggie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts