Be careful about giving your chi unprescribed meds...
I do not normally post like this, but PLEASE do NOT calculate drug dosages for your chis. After reading this post, all I could think of was what happened if she had actually dosed her dog at 1ml/pound of diphenhydramine. Thank god, she gave less!
Liquid Benedryll comes in concentration of 2.5mg/ml. Lets say her dog weighs 5 pounds, if she dosed it based on advice given above, she would have given 12.5mg of diphenhydramine. If the correct dosage is say 1ml/pound (legally can't disclose the actual dosage over the internet), she would have given over DOUBLE the dose.
Furthermore, Benedryll in an oral suspension has a high alcohol content, which can cause further problems, and is NOT recommended for veterinary use, espcecially in cats and small dogs. In veterinary practice, diphenhydramine is administered as an injection or in 25 or 50mg tablets.
So what would have happened if her dog had overdosed on Benedryll, among a large amount of minor symptoms such as sedation, dry mouth, vomitting/diarrhea, to central nervous system disorders. If her dog had a pre-existing condition such as hyperthyroidism, seizure disorders, hypertension, heart failure, or allergic lung disease, her dog could have died.
Please owners, do not ask or give advice involving dosaging of drugs to animals, even if they are over the counter for humans. If you think a Benedryll situation is bad, consider a client I know personally who went to a forum and was told she could give Tylenol to her cat after it was spayed. Acetominophen KILLS cats within minutes, and I'm sure you can guess the rest of the story.
Please be responsible and consult your veterinarian, the cost is worth the life of your animal. Any veterinarian who won't give you dosages over the phone isn't trying to lure you into paying for an exam. There are a ton of things he/she has to consider before giving any kind of drugs, and only he/she is capable of prescribing them.
I apologize if I have offended anybody! I know we all just wants for our pets!