Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whew! Woke up this morning and Frankie's whole mouth and muzzle were puffed up 3 times the normal size and all red. That whole area was distorted and his eyes had red rings around them. So scary, I have no idea what caused the reaction. I just got dressed as fast as I could and drove to the vet.
He was fine last night when we went to bed. Vet says it was probably a bug or spider bite from the BED! All bedding is now being washed in hot water!!!!!
We live in Florida and there are bugs and frogs and gekcos everywhere.
She gave him a Depomedrol injection along with a Diphenhydramine injection (benedryl).........We were sent home with children's Benedryl to give him every 6 hours today...
I remember Tracy saying to always keep Benedryl on hand! Lesson learned.:(

Update: 10:30 Frankie is sound asleep and looks much better :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
aww bless! we dont get bugs like that here in the uk,thank god! bell got stung by a bee the other week and that scared me to death but it wasnt half as bad as that sounded,hope he gets better quickly

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
aww bless! we dont get bugs like that here in the uk,thank god! bell got stung by a bee the other week and that scared me to death but it wasnt half as bad as that sounded,hope he gets better quickly
BUT we do get toads and from a past scary experience very similar symptoms to this our dogs are highly allergic to them lol

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh Pam what a scare, so glad Frankie is doing better (((HUGS)))

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Poor Frankie! If only they could talk and tell us when they are not feeling well...
So glad he is feeling better now :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Poor little one! Hope he sleeps it off and is much better soon!
I got benadryl when they got their rabies shots. I am glad to have it here as a just in case so I know what you mean!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
OH pam! You must have been beside yourself!!! I'm so glad you got him to the vet quick and he is OK now. Poor guy. They are so little and close to the floor and if yours are anything like Brody - always sticking their noses on everything and investigating.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH pam! You must have been beside yourself!!! I'm so glad you got him to the vet quick and he is OK now. Poor guy. They are so little and close to the floor and if yours are anything like Brody - always sticking their noses on everything and investigating.
Tracy, I drove so fast, I was so scared he would not be able to breathe! His little nose was running all over his mouth. Thanks everyone for well wishes. He looks fine now. Wish me luck getting the cherry benedryl down his throat.... :foxes15:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I am so glad the cute little guy is ok.He is my sweet baby.I love him.My baby (Radar) got stung by stepping on a bee.My daddy had took them out and I heard one of the scream and my daddy caled me and said Radar had been walking and then sreamed and then started holding his paw up.So I got the poor baby.At that time we wasn't real sure what had happen I lookat his paw and sure enough it was swollen and red.His also brusied I guess where he stepped on it.I got benadryl (sp?) in him and he started feeling better I look and made sure the stinger wasn't in him and it wasn't after a couple days he was fine.But he was sore because it was on his foot and he had to walk on it.The day it happened he got carried alot(which he like lol),But I knew what to do because of ALL of yall.So thanks.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Better get a syringe, many drug stores will give them to you (without the needle of course) but if not a childrens dropper will work too.

I work in a pharmacy and i'm usually bringing fresh ones home because Gretel takes the childrens benedryl too and lets say cherry isn't her flavor.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi whow poor frankie is the swelling going down i sure hope hes better soon id like to know how much childrens benadryl did your vet say to give my buster is 5 lbs and how often do you give it i have a fenced yard so hes out haveing his adventures every day with out me alot and i worry if something like a bee would get him i need to be prepared thank you for the education on benadryl

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Glad Frankie is doing better...so scary...

Ask your vet for a feeding tip...it fits on the syringe and makes giving the meds easier and you're less likely to lose some of the dose with him moving his head around...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi whow poor frankie is the swelling going down i sure hope hes better soon id like to know how much childrens benadryl did your vet say to give my buster is 5 lbs and how often do you give it i have a fenced yard so hes out haveing his adventures every day with out me alot and i worry if something like a bee would get him i need to be prepared thank you for the education on benadryl
Hi SHeila, Frankie is just under 10 lbs and vet told me 1 tsp every 6 hours for first day. So I would say 1/2 tsp for Buster. They gave me a dropper with the measurements marked right on it...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Better get a syringe, many drug stores will give them to you (without the needle of course) but if not a childrens dropper will work too.

I work in a pharmacy and i'm usually bringing fresh ones home because Gretel takes the childrens benedryl too and lets say cherry isn't her flavor.
Haha Amanda, no CHERRY is not the favorite flavor here either;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Crikey what a fright for you to see that this morn, so glad Frankie is on the mend, Im so glad we dont have them massive creepy crawleys over here, Id freak out, a daddy longlegs sends me into shock lol,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts