Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My husband and I would have really loved to move to the USA, although having looked into this, we realise there is sadly just no chance :(

Has anyone here emigrated or thought about emigrating etc?

Ive looked into Canada and we seem to pass the 'scoring' just..but I dont know if its that simple. Although Ive never been to Canada - reading about it alone it sounds lovely except the weather? - I cant find the warmest location and how warm that actually is? I dont fancy more UK-esk weather! ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have thought about moving to the USA, both Hubby and I are Musicians and qualified music teachers. I spent some time out in the US and loved it. But in the end, I decided for the most part I like britain.
Also, from a health POV I would most likely not be alive if I was living in the USA as I am on a lot of medical treatments and have had several near death emergencies... got to give the NHS their due, they keep patching me up and sending me back out there for free. :) I know I would never even be able to afford my meds in the US, especially with the costs of the diabetes medications.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i'm a canadian and I gotta say I've never thought of leaving Canada. I love the four seasons I get here; although in British columbia they get very little snow if any. I love the free health care which is the number 1 reason I would never live in the states and if I visit I have insurance. I can't get my head around the idea that they actually have to pay for health care there. The winters aren't as bad as the rumors say they are, you get snow at least 1-2 feet in Feb and then it's gone by april. Temps can get cold but usually in winter it's around -15 ish of course that fluctuates quite a bit.

Let me know if you have any other questions, i'm not quiet sure what your looking for

hmmmm what else can I say?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the NHS we probably take for granted here, some Dr's arent the best Ive had a pretty rough time with Dr's so you can sometimes doubt the treatment, but at least its free treatment.

Thanks Mooberry :)
We thought if we moved to Canada we'd move to the side nearest UK ie; Toronto side London/Hamilton area's - thinking they'd be the warmest but the net never states their climate..
Ive read that theres not much to do in Canada in terms of shopping and city life etc which baffles me for a place so big Id have thought it would be just as good complex wise as USA cities?
Everything else ive 'read' it sounds a really decent place to live.

I just cant stand this British weather, so would love to live somewhere with more sunny days and less rain! :) and a friendly approach to life

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yeah the NHS we probably take for granted here, some Dr's arent the best Ive had a pretty rough time with Dr's so you can sometimes doubt the treatment, but at least its free treatment.

Thanks Mooberry :)
We thought if we moved to Canada we'd move to the side nearest UK ie; Toronto side London/Hamilton area's - thinking they'd be the warmest but the net never states their climate..
Ive read that theres not much to do in Canada in terms of shopping and city life etc which baffles me for a place so big Id have thought it would be just as good complex wise as USA cities?
Everything else ive 'read' it sounds a really decent place to live.

I just cant stand this British weather, so would love to live somewhere with more sunny days and less rain! :) and a friendly approach to life
Hmmmmm much to do..if you aren't near/in a big city it is correct that there isn't much to do. If you aren't an outdoorsy type if you are then no matter where you are in Canada there is tonnnnes to do. Rafting rock climbing hiking spelunking etc.

I live in Hamilton myself and if you want lots to do you want to hit toronto area there is tonnes to do there it's a city full of culture and classes. I don't know what the population is in your largest city but in Canada it's 2.4 million. There are more people in the state of california then there are in all of Canada by 3 million! That is to say that the total population of Canada which is 36 mil is spread out over the 2nd largest country in the world so there is not many of us and were kinda spread out if were not in the big cities so they tend to be a mosaic of so many cultures and beliefs that there is always something to do in the big cities.

p.s the population in hamilton only 540,000 that's it. And were considered a big city lol!

p.s.s we are also the cottage county of the world ;p

p.s.s.s 100% NOT the warmest you want the side farthest from the U.K (british columbia) where I am your looking at 3-4 feet of snow -20 at least ;p

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey it's so strange that u hve put this post on. My boyfriend & I hve been planning to move to australia for about 4 years! We spent a year there after we just got together & loved it. He could get a visa with his job but we hve been saving like crazy....that was before we got poppy.... Now we r not so sure. We are worried about taking her on such a long journey but the main reason we r so worried about all the deadly creatures there now. It didn't bother us when it was just us but now we hve pops, she would hve no idea what a snake was & I just know she would b off to investigate. She hates road walking & we always take her to fields but I would b so worried in oz. Our main reason for wanting to go (apart from the weather!)is the beautiful openess off the land. All the fields round our house & where we walk poppy are earmarked for houses in the next four years ....:(
I'm also worried that there is no one to look after her there unless we pay. Her gramps looks after her whilst we are at work here....
So funnily enough we hve been debating just this evening... This uk summer has depressed us so much!! Still no conclusion!!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I always look at the beautiful sand beaches in the UK and would love to live near one...the ocean is one of my fav places to go....I have often thought of moving to Mexico ( Yucatan ) after I retire...the weather is perfect...but....in Canada we have such good health insurance and the crime rate is very low... I have never been broken into...don't have any bars on my windows etc....the police are professional...so I may just stay were I am and put up with our cold winter...maybe Nova Scotia will appeal to me when I retire...
I have holidayed in Florida...Louisana....Texas and they are all beautiful states....

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm from Michigan so the climate is identical to Toronto. Can get a ton of snow in the winter, but it is gorgeous snow and the summers are just beautiful. We live in North Carolina now and are doing everything we can to get back. Just because it has a mild winter doesn't make the south better! Toronto is a fun city with lots of culture and things to do, and then it would be easy to visit the states if you wanted. Toronto is also on lake Ontario and close to the Great Lakes with all their beautiful "singing sand" beaches. I had never known that Michigan beaches were famous until I visited England!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You should come to Colorado :) It basically doesn't rain here - snows in the winter a bit, but there is never a day without sun at some point during it! How come the US is out of the question>

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish! :D The US is unfortunately out of the question as the UK isnt part of their Green Card Lottery at the moment and the only other way we could emigrate there would be to a) Have a hell of a lot of money to invest there - and even then you have to keep a business successfull or b) Be expereienced in a career that the US needs. So very unfortunately we cant move there as we dont have anything to offer. :(
..Unless we win the lottery! Fingers crossed ;)

I live next to the beach up North, if anyone dares paddle in it they'd probably end up with a disease, they're gross and its always cold/windy. I have heard the beaches are lovely at the very bottom of the UK but thats a 6 hour drive for us so we havent visited, but would like to out of curiosity for the UK's beaches.

Australia - so many people want to emigrate there it must be a lovely place (Ive never been) but yeah I see your point about the creatures, could be kinda scary but if thats the only down side its one im sure you would get used to living around it. Go for it! ;)

We're definately going to visit Canada then and get the feel of it, will try Toronto and British Columbia :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Steph, you should try moving down to the south!!
I am in the southeast and the beaches are beautiful.

we want to move to Somerset eventually, but the further southwest you go the nicer the beaches and weather become. Whenever we go to the west country in the Spring you can actually see that it is more advanced there by 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
We're definately going to visit Canada then and get the feel of it, will try Toronto and British Columbia :)

just a heads up if you're making plans...theres a long way between Toronto Ont and BC. If you are driving you are looking at 3 - 4 days....flight time is around 6 hrs + .

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, we'd do two seperate holidays to check those both out :) Probably going during different seasons also might be wise

Yeah we'll definately have to check out the southern beaches of the UK etc, dont fancy the long drive with 2 Chihuahuas much lol ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts