Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had quite a scare on Sunday... and figured I'd share it on here as a reminder of how fragile these little dogs are. It's really hard for me to type this entire story, but I think it's important for other chi owners to hear.

The chihuahuas had just finished their breakfasts, and Rory (our 35lb Border Collie) was still eating his. We weren't paying much attention, as Rory is very gentle. All of a sudden Emma started screaming and she had a bubbly looking bump on her head right on her soft spot. It swelled and swelled and her head was huge. We rushed out of the house to the emergency vet and placed a bag of ice on her head. We're not sure if Rory bit her or knocked her head with his chin.

The ride to the e-vet was the longest ride of my life. It took about 10 minutes, but felt like it was hours. We thought we had lost Emma on the way... she began to vomit, and her head was VERY large.

The vet took her right away and put her on an IV with medications to stop the swelling and vomiting. They said they wanted to hold her until that night. I was sooo worried, as Emma only weighs 2.7lbs and has a HUGE molera.

I didn't think she'd make it... it was horrible... the worst day of my life.

We picked her up at 8pm, and the swelling had gone down a good bit. It's getting better and better every day. She's getting a helmet for whenever she is around Rory or playing rough with the others... because there is a chance that her head could swell back up.

Her motor skills are perfect... she's full of energy... no signs of neurological damage. We're going to a neurologist once the swelling has come down to see what they think about any longterm effects.

Here is Emma the day BEFORE the head injury:

intheyard-101120-12-3 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

intheyard-101120-12-2 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

And this is what she looked like the day after it happened... her tongue was only out because she was trying to eat leaves:

intheyard-101122-12-2 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

intheyard-101122-12 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Please continue to keep her in your thoughts for a full recovery.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oh my gosh! I would have been soooo terrified too, I'm so sorry oyu had to go through that and I hope she continues toward a full recovery. Seriously that is sooo scary :(

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Omg that really upset me she must be in so much pain do they think it'll go back to normal or what exactly is causing the swelling

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's acting like her normal self... running, playing... it's hard to keep her still!

The swelling is from when her head was hit, and it should go down with time. Kind of like if you bumped your head, it would be raised.

Right now her head looks much better... it's more of a localized bump rather than her entire head.

It was terrifying. I kept telling her that I loved her and rubbed her belly the whole way to the vet.

Tiny chihuahuas with moleras are scary... I'm going to be such an overprotective mom now.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh my gosh, how scary. :( So sorry that happened to your little Emma, you must have been so worried. I'm so glad she is home with you and doing better, I'll be keeping her in my thoughts. Give her a kiss and a cuddle for me. xx

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
OMG poor Emma! :( Those photos are heart breaking. I hope she recovers 100% & continues to do well. Did you ever figure out what caused the swelling? It looks like more of a bump than a bite. I know Rory is great with the Chi's though... Still you can never be too careful I guess. This is a huge reason why we asked my dad & step mom to take our Zander. He was huge (80lbs though he was 115lbs when he passed away a few weeks ago) but he was very bouncy & hyper & just didn't know his own size. I just couldn't risk it any longer but I was SO happy my dad & step mom took him in as they are right next door...

Anyway, we'll be thinking of Emma & sending positive thoughts her way!!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
OMG!! I'm so sorry! That poor baby! Even tho Rory is so gentle, when dogs eat, it's important to be very careful that they don't fight over food. You'll be in my prayers and please keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG!! I'm so sorry! That poor baby! Even tho Rory is so gentle, when dogs eat, it's important to be very careful that they don't fight over food. You'll be in my prayers and please keep us informed.
Rory is normally so easy going about his food... he lets the chis stick their faces in his bowl, etc... but we are feeding them separately now. We are going to be more careful about their interactions.

Mchis, I'm not sure if his chin hit her head, or if his teeth did. I was standing across the room while my husband was feeding them. It's definitely a bump caused by blunt head trauma... the force was strong enough to make her head swell.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Oh poor baby!!
Those pics!!
I would have been in a real state of panic too, must have been terrifying for you!!

Am glad she is on the mend now, bless her.
xx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
In this case, I think that Emma's big molera was her saving grace! Her brain and soft tissues had a place to swell. If the trauma was enough to cause that much swelling and her molera was closed - she probably wouldn't be with us now. The molera allowed for expansion of the tissue and that was a good thing, although it looks scary.

We recently had a little chi here have head trauma or a possible aneurysm from an unwitnessed injury and unfortunately, she died. So you are very lucky that Emma is doing so well. Thank goodness!

What a good reminder of how fragile our little guys really are.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
How harrowing!! It is amazing how easily they can be seriously injured. I can only imagine your panic and fear on the ride to the vet (and hope to never experience it). I'm sure that was just awful. Thank God the vet knew what to do immediately.
I'm sooooooo glad she is better and hope that there will be no long term damage. She is a doll!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In this case, I think that Emma's big molera was her saving grace! Her brain and soft tissues had a place to swell. If the trauma was enough to cause that much swelling and her molera was closed - she probably wouldn't be with us now. The molera allowed for expansion of the tissue and that was a good thing, although it looks scary.

We recently had a little chi here have head trauma or a possible aneurysm from an unwitnessed injury and unfortunately, she died. So you are very lucky that Emma is doing so well. Thank goodness!

What a good reminder of how fragile our little guys really are.
That makes a lot of sense. At least her head had a place to swell, rather than being trapped inside of her skull.

I remember reading about little Maya and thinking how that could've easily been Emma's outcome. It's so scary.

I forget from time to time that chihuahuas ARE tiny dogs and can get hurt more easily. This was the scariest thing I've ever been through with our dogs, and I'm very, very glad that the vet was able to save her.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts