Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we had Emma's appointment with the neurologist. She still has swelling on the top of her head, and we wanted to see if there would be any longterm issues.

They did a series of tests, and the results were completely normal neurologically.

The vet isn't sure if she could've had a skull fracture, or a puncture to her dural tissue, which is why CSF is leaking in her head. She suggested a CT scan to see if there is a fracture, and to see where the CSF is coming from... BUT if there is a fracture or a rip in the dural tissue, there isn't much they can do for it. We don't want to risk surgery seeing as Emma is fine neurologically. So we're holding off on the CT scan unless the swelling gets worse.

We're looking at hydrocelphalus if the swelling doesn't ever go down. In this case, Emma will probably always have some swelling that "waxes" and "wanes" depending on her moods/situations. So she'll basically be our "helmet puppy" for her life if this is the case. Speaking of helmets, the one we ordered her is waaaay too big... UGH. It's the smallest size they make, so if anyone knows of any helmet companies let me know!

Emma's finishing up her round of Prednisone (last dose is on Sunday), and then she will go for a recheck in a couple of weeks.

We're really hoping that the swelling will just go all the way down!

The vet told us she was the most well behaved and sweetest chihuahua she had ever seen :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
poor emma! i didndt even know they made helmets for dogs haha! Hopefully you can get to the bottom of things and that it isn't too serious! she looks like a real sweet chi chi!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You must be happy to hear report that she is normal neurologically still...

As far as a helmet...I don't know...Emma is so tiny...its almost like you're gonna hafta get creative and make one?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Our hearts and thoughts are with Emma. We send hugs to Emma that she'll be okay soon.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Awwww poor Emma. I hope the swelling goes down soon. When I picked up Zoey at 10 weeks she had a fractured skull and the breeder never told me. I ask wjat happen and she said it must have happened in her bed (right). I took her to the vet and everything is fine but she will always have the lump where the fracture was and you can feel the indent in between the two bumps actually. She will be 3 in Feb and has never had any trouble with it. She did bump it one time and really cried out so it must have hurt. She acts normal and plays more then normal.
*hugs* to you and Emma.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww am glad she is fine neurologically.
She looks like a real sweet chi, bless her.
Hope the swelling goes away altogether. x

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm glad to hear she is OK neurologically! I really hope the swelling continues to go down. It has really reduced a lot so that is great, right?! I have no idea about the helmet...I agree in maybe you'll have to try to make one or have one custom made. :confused: I'll continue thinking of sweet Emma & hope everything turns out a-ok!!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
So glad she is okay and its not neurological :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts