Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I am usually just a viewer, and post replies. Today I am asking for your best thoughts for my chi, Emmie. She started 'fly biting' back in April. This is when a dog bites at nothing. She starts by licking her paws, then 'sees' a bug, and bites at it. Nothing there! She was diagnosed by my regular vet, who said it was 'focal seizures'. Started on Phenobarbital. Did better, but is now not responding to it much. I decided to bite the bullet and made an appointment with a canine neurologist about 40 miles from me. Em went in yesterday. She is still there, for an MRI today, just to make sure there is nothing in the brain. A$$$$$$!!!! I have insurance but they have a limit to what they pay for an 'illness'. I like this vet. She is very good with Em, and takes it slow and easy with her. I will update this tomorrow when I hear. Weather is terrible, and I don't want to drive in the dark, rain, and wind!! Tomorrow will pick her up in the am. Sue

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Thinking about Emmie and praying the MRI and tests are able to guide the DR in effective treatment for her. Calming prayers for you.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor sweetie. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. I hope all will be ok. Please keep us posted. xx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thinking about you and Emmie today! Keep us posted!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Prayers for little Emmie, Please keep us posted (((((HUGS)))))

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Emmie is home, and doing OK. Yesterday, one small fly biting episode, lasting only about 30 seconds. MUCH better than the lowered doseage she was on. Very sleepy, obviously. I wonder if people that have their dogs on Phenobarbital have the problem of sleeping much more than usual? Sue and a sleepy Emmie

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
When Smoke was on it, he was sleepy at first until his body adjusted to it. After a week or two he was more active. He was never as active as a normal puppy, but he did stop sleeping all the time.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm glad she's back home with you and doing better. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts