Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The last few days have been an absolute emotional rollercoaster. It started with lots of tears and just feeling my heart ripped out of my chest. Losing Gibbs so unexpectedly completely rocked my world.

The last few weeks Chris and I had been looking for a Redbone Coonhound Lab mix puppy to add to our family. We wanted one to relieve some of Scarlett puppy power from Gibbs. We were told that they were adopted, they didn't adopt out of state, to not being able to find the right fit. We put out word everywhere that we were looking.

As I was hugging my pups extra hard Chris's phone rang. A rescue in MD received Redbone Coonhound pups Sat/Sun from an AL high kill shelter. They had two females and wanted us to come look at. The confusion began what do we do Scarlett needs a friend but my heart hurts too bad. Why now after we were searching for weeks?

Well we decided to go look this evening. A door that had been shut was finally open and we didn't want to miss out. We took Scarlett and would leave it up to her if she wanted a sister. Scarlett fell head over heels for a little 8 week old munchkin. She is sweet and cute and mimics Scar. What do I do? I feel like I am cheating on Gibbs can I mourn and lover her like she deserves?

Then the discussion I had with my mom this morning came back on how God works in mysterious ways, another friend told me to go look as Sadie and Gibbs probably planned this from above to help heal my heart. I look at Scarlett and her big brown eyes were pleading Please Mom. This baby needs us. So while we all mourn as no one will ever replace Gibbs he is irreplaceable I have opened a new place in my heart for a little munchkin that needs a loving home some TLC and a big sister. Meet Rosie a sweet very young Redbone Coonhound pup

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
What an absolute sweetheart!!!

I am so sorry for your pain, there is nothing to do for that but time. But what a little love you have now, who will help you heal.

I'm so glad you found each other. <3

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Oh Christie, I am so sorry to hear that you have lost Gibbs. My heart is breaking for you.
Rosie will help, she will make you smile on the days you feel it will be impossible to ever smile again. Puppies make the best grief counsellors. xxxx

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh Christie, I am so sorry to hear that you have lost Gibbs. My heart is breaking for you.
Rosie will help, she will make you smile on the days you feel it will be impossible to ever smile again. Puppies make the best grief counsellors. xxxx
I seem to cry and laugh at the same time. I miss my Gibbers terribly but seeing Scarlett try to teach Rosie how to do things cracks me up.

Oh and Stella Rosie would be a pup after your heart she went nuts trying to eat BG & Sonny's raw last night

·
Registered
703 Posts
I believe that God and Gibbs sent you little Rosie. You and Scarlett needed her. Loving your new girl does not mean you don't love and miss Gibbs. your heart is big enough to love them all. I am so sorry for your loss but so happy for your sweet new girl.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
So sorry about Gibbs. A sudden death is sometimes harder to deal with, than one that you know is coming (cancer, heart disease)

Glad that Stella has a 'sister' now. She'll teach the new pup house rules, ie, housetraining her. (hopefully)

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
You won't ever forget Gibbs or the happiness he gave you and it's so sweet that you are able to give that adorable pup happiness, too. Lucky dog.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Oh Christie, how devastating for you. Big hugs to you and yours, I know how special Gibbs was to you. I wasn't intending to keep Nibbler, he was a foster failure. My heart dog, a Chi x called Flute died a few months after we decided to keep him. I still wonder if she planned it because having funny Nibbler puppy was the only thing that let me survive Flute's death. I can imagine Gibbs & Sadie aligning the stars so that your whole family can find some joy in your pain. She is adorable btw and love the pic in her Buddy Belt, so cute. I'll keep you in my prayers. xx

·
Registered
732 Posts
I missed this thread.

I completely understand what you mean about "cheating" or "disrespecting" the love you have for Gibbs. I also went through this when my beloved heart-dog, Bella, died and I got Dorothy. I remember crying on the way home when we picked up Dorothy. I felt like I was betraying Bella. But my heart hurt SO much from her loss I needed Dorothy to help heal me because I really wasn't doing so well with the healing on my own. Even now, 18 months after her death I hurt. But Dorothy does make it much, much, better.

I bet that if Gibbs could come back and send you a message he would be so glad you gave another puppy a chance. His heart would swell knowing that his leaving you gave another the chance to be homed and loved so very much, as he was.

I've lost many pets through the years and all we eventually "replaced". And every time I tell myself that the pet who passed on did so to make room for another helpless being in desperate need.

I feel for your pain but I'm also happy you feel such loss. Because that means you were given the greatest gift of love from Gibbs. And Gibbs obviously had a great life. What a wonderful thing to have loved so fiercely that you feel such loss.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I hadn't seen this thread, I'm so sorry to hear about Gibbs. :( I think it's normal to feel this way when getting a dog so soon after, but it's not cheating or replacing him. This new puppy will never change how much you love and miss Gibbs, but she will make Scarlett very happy and help you get through this. I'm sure that's what Gibbs would want for you too. I felt this way when I got Lilo right after my Coco died, but it's the best thing I could have done because in the end she helped me so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts