Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new and should have introduced myself first, but I have to make a fast decision and I'm hoping someone here has vast chihuahua experience and can help me. Once that crisis is over I'll introduce me and my chi's!

Okay - history :

Just moved to TN from FL. Hubby and I did extensive rescue in FL so we are very against BYB's - if anyone here is one I am so not trying to offend anyone, please forgive me. Very long history that's ugly back there. I promise to hold nothing against anyone.

Anyway, I've wanted a chi for ages, but never had a chance to have one. We have 3 rotties and 2 terriers - all rescues.

So, a co-worked knows a lady who has chis that she's been breeding like little puppy factories. The lady has decided she's tired of them and wants to get rid of them - how on earth could you be so heartless?? But anyway.....

So my co-worker asks if I'd be interested and I jumped at the chance. I called the lady and she said the female had just ended a heat cycle and had not been bred this time. How kind of her. So I rushed over last weekend and picked them up on my way home. I have an appointment to have them spayed and neutered late next week.

Last night I come home from the store to find them locked together. She must have lied - I have never heard of a dog having a heat cycle and coming back into heat a week later.

So now I have to decide what to do. Continuing the pregnancy is the very last thing we want to do unless it's the safest for Belle. Quite frankly, I love them both to no end but they really aren't what I would even come close to calling 'breeding stock'. They are both registered but have had no time at all in a conformation ring and haven't had any kind of genetic testing done - 2 of the very first things I would do before even considering breeding any dog. Again, just me, and if anyone has bred without doing things, it's just my opinion and who the heck am I, right?? :) I'm so seriously trying to not offend anyone.......

So, the next two options, that I know of anyway, or either go ahead with the spay next week (they can't move it up any) but I don't know how safe spaying a dog that may be a week and a half pregnant is. Or - my sister in law had a dobie that this happened to once and the vet gave her an injection to terminate the pregnancy. Has anyone ever heard of this?? Is it safe for her??

Someone please please help!! Can I attach pictures of them here?? Ummm... yep. Okay. Let's see if my brain can kick in for me to figure this out..... Here goes.....

Crumbs. Can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone help me there either??

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

You are not offending anyone with your BYB talk. :wink: We are all against that as well.

If I were you I'd go ahead with the spay and have the vet fully aware that they were tied. In case she is pregnant, then it can be terminated. In my opinion, that is the best outcome for the situation.

Good luck! Let us know how she does. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I want to welcome you to the forum. I know its whats best for the situation but I am very against abortion of any kind. I dont want to offend anyone either but they are alive and thats what makes me very sad. I am glad its not my decision but want to wish you the best of luck. Can't wait to see pictures

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
ChioxerMomma said:
I want to welcome you to the forum. I know its whats best for the situation but I am very against abortion of any kind. I dont want to offend anyone either but they are alive and thats what makes me very sad. I am glad its not my decision but want to wish you the best of luck. Can't wait to see pictures
This can kill the mother dog. Sometimes things have to be done that are inhumane in one way but very humane in another.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
first off welcome, youll fit right in lol.
and secondly, you get a medal for rescuing this wonderfull little girl! she will bring alot of love and jy to your life.

Your right, the woman you got the chi off lied, a female doesnt come out of heat to go back in, she was either not in heat before and came in now or was in her heat and she just dindt want to tell you.
and dont feel so bad for this happening, you wernt to know.

now that being said, im pro choice in life, but dont let that fool anyone into thinking thats why im going to say what im going to say. what i say is from experience.

your obviously unexperienced when it comes to breeding chihuahuas, and thats not a bad thing :)
the biggest thing to rember is that this female is probably already weakend from her previous litters, the more pups a female has the more weak she gets, especially when there one after anohter... this pregnancy could realy weaken her, to a point where she may not have the resources after birth to suply her self and her puppies with the nutrients needed to stay healthy.
also this breed is extreemly prone ot c-sections, while this femalesprobably freewhelped all her life (probably given very little choice) she could easily hav eproblems with delivery too, you could lose the entire litter and the female.
dogs systems dont work quite like ours, the easiest way to explain it is that there is a delay between the males "donation" and the fertilization, so IF shes pregnant any pups would not yet be what we think of as pups.
most breedings dont take on the first mating, (its why most breeders mate their female 3 times to a male) but it IS a possibility.

for the saftey of your new baby, (and your sanity lol) i would personally go ahead with the spay, make sure to tell the vet that theres a possibilty shes pregnant. the vet might suggest waiting untill after the heat is over, but i personally think a spay (with possible abortion if needed) is the SAFEST for your chi

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
ive heard of an injection for terminating pregnancy but i dont know how safe it is for a chi - i am pro choice too - i would definatly have this pregnancy terminated and her spayed for her own saftey as well as the fact that neither dogs have any confirmation and you know none or very little of their backgrounds genetically or otherwise - hope it all works out ok :) and welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi and welcome. You still have time. Its likely that with only one mating that she is pregnant especially if she has been bred before. You dont say what size terrier she tied with and to continue with a pregnancy could be very dangerous if the male she tied with is larger or from larger stock even. You can take her to your vet and have her aborted by injection. I know from experience that vets dont like to spay when dogs are pregnant I got a right telling off when I had a cat spayed and it turned out she had been caught without me realising it I could be wrong but I think it can be dangerous to spay when they are carrying anyway I got put in my place well and truly by my vet. If she were mine I would have her aborted just in case because no matter what caught her because being a chihuahua she is the smallest breed so any terrier no matter what breed has to come from bigger stock doesnt it ? Abortion maybe a dirty word but death is much worse. Good luck and whatever you do get it sorted as soon as possible .Like you I dont wish to offend anybody but yours is a case that cant be left to chance xxxxxx

·
Registered
4 Posts
In humans, I am personally pro life, but I still think that every woman has the right to choose for herself. Since this poor little dog really has no way to choose, I feel like you should do whatever is best for her health. Since she has probably been treated badly and likely is not in the best of health, having her spayed is a very humane and caring thing to do. I know that some vets will spay when the female is pregnant. (I'm not sure at what stage though)You just have to ask your vet if they will do it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys so much for the info. I've called the vet to let her know they'd mated and I did not want any puppies and would like to continue with her spay. The vet was delighted with the choice. I'd asked for her to also have an IV in place during the procedure, as so people from another forum had recommended this and she said she does that for all of them to be on the safe side.

Just so everyone knows, I just love puppies. And chihuahua puppies? I can't imagine anything cuter ever!! But there are so many of them out there that get put to sleep, I can't imagine making that worse. Even if I were to find homes for every single one of them, that means there would be that many puppies in a shelter or rescue somewhere that are already alive that would wind up put to sleep because they would have been adopted but my dog's puppies are now taking their place. The second consideration was my dog's health. I've been hitting the internet hard the last 48 hours trying to get information on chihuahuas and what they go through with labor and delivery. From what I've read, and it seems to be backed up here by all of you, this could kill her. I would be doing her no good to take her from the situation she was in and put her through this. That's not fair to her at all. The male she mated with is a chihuahua too. She's 3 pounds and he is 4 pounds, but his chest is huge! He has these tiny little hips and mongo chest - reminds me of a little bully!! Cute as can be, but I would so be afraid that the puppies would have his build and she wouldn't be able to birth them and would need an emergency c-section. If anything happened to her I don't know that I could deal with that guilt. This has been a really tough decision for our family, but we knew that continuing this pregnancy was wrong for every reason.

So, anyway, that's where we stand. I thank you all so very much for your info. It's exactly what I needed to hear. I was so afraid you would tell me spaying her during pregnancy could be life threatening. I barely slept last night worrying about her. I was so worried I even took them with me to my grandfathers for Thanksgiving!! Everyone just fell in love with them - they are so social. Not at all like what I'd heard the breed to be!

If I can ever figure out how to get pictures on here, I'll download one for you all!!!

Thank you again!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, duh, I just realized I was able to get their picture on my avatar. So, that's them - Belle is the black tan and white and Butchie (we're looking for a new name for him BTW if anyone has any suggestions) is the tan one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Foxywench - that dog in your siggie on the left has the most adorable face I have ever seen in my entire life - OMG - I think I'm in love!!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
"(with possible abortion if needed) is the SAFEST for your chi."
I know no vet that will abort pup there is a mismate shot however it has to be done within the first 24 hours,if I am not mistaken many vets will not do it either

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
thank you mrs 188, thats my dodger boy on the left...

the on on the right is vixie

loves of my life lol. your babies are adorable too!
janiebabes, MOST vets can and will at owners discression abort litters usually during a spay in high risk/unwanted/accidental cases.
just liek with people, abortion is possible...
the mismate shot is also available but only good for 72 hours after mating...

·
Registered
213 Posts
janiebabes said:
"(with possible abortion if needed) is the SAFEST for your chi."
I know no vet that will abort pup there is a mismate shot however it has to be done within the first 24 hours,if I am not mistaken many vets will not do it either
Spay/aborts are an extremely common practise with vets. We see them quite often.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Bell had her spay and all went well. Butchie for some reason is a chewer of everything so he'll be supervised with her. He chews the bell on her collar too. Ugh. So Bell will be sleeping with mommy and daddy for a week or two while poor Butchie cries wanting her back. I can't believe how bonded they are ! !

Anyway, thank you all for your advice. I'm so glad there was a safe option for her!

Updated 1/8

Belle had her spay re-scheduled for the afternoon of the 13th and didn't get to go. My husband was to take her as I work 2 hours from home. The day of her surgery my husband had a heart attack - it was mild, caused in part by a severe reaction to a new medication for his blood pressure which had gotten so high it caused a minor stroke, or TIA, which is basically stroke symptoms which are temporary.

Long story short, with my husband's sudden landslide of medical problems and the hospital trips and MRI's, etc., we never got Belle back in. When I called him that day and he said she was doing fine I made the mistake of leaving it at that. I never questioned him as I had people in and out of my office all morning, but he was ready to leave for the hospital then and didn't want to worry me, thinking it was no big deal and he'd be fine.

Anyway, if my guesstimates are correct Belle's pups would be due on the 20thish of this month. Now that things have settled down and my husband is home and doing better and we can get her to the vet, I'm afraid it's kind of late. Between John (husband) and 6 kids underfoot as well as work and the other pets...... well, I failed her basically. I've been so upset with myself I haven't even wanted to talk about it. How stupid - as if it will go away if you ignore it. Don't get me wrong - I started supplementing her food with vitamins and switched her to a puppy food added to her regular food. She has an appointment tomorrow with the vet just to make sure all is on track and to have an xray if the vet thinks she needs it.

But.... have you ever just really been so disgusted with yourself that it infuriates you? I don't know what to do. I hate to even admit that she missed that spay appointment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I just joined today and was reading about your little fellows. So glad to hear that everything went well. I have two chis. Both were rescued. My little girl was rescued eight years ago from the getto. She is so spoiled but very sweet. Her name is Prissy because she is. She is white with a few tan spots. The other one was rescued from the pound a year ago. we named him Sparky. He is black and tan. His owners turned him in because they didn't want him(sad). He is so lovable I couldn't imagine not having him. Mine both weigh about 3lbs. Have you renamed your little boy yet?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't renamed him yet, and at this point we may not. Everyone has gotten so used to calling him Butchie, lol!! It would have to be a very perfect name for him if we switched it now I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts