Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feodore has got abit of a brittle wirey coat, I am worried maybe I am not allowing enogh fats in his diet. I started him at the very beggining on chicken thighs, so the only bit of fat was the skin which I always removed, and even now with vairety in his diet I take of most fat, is this wrong? I always do the 80-10-10 ratio, but where do fats come into this? Where do fats come into
this ratio. (I am talking just animal fats, the dogs get coconut and Feo has salmon oil)

Cheers people

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I wouldn't remove the fat. I mean, if there is a big hunk of fat I'd cut the majority off but fat is important in their diets, like it is ours. :) The only fat I tend to have to remove is on the pork/beef hearts I get. Sometimes there is a lot on those. But any chicken or pork or anything I get from the grocery store...I don't typically touch. I'm not sure if this would have to do with his coat? But maybe? What's really helped coats here is the nupro supplement. It really did seem to help with some access shedding & it has made a huge difference in Matilda's already odd coat. LOL

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree 100% with Heather. Dogs need fat. They use it for energy. It's absolutely essential. Now I wouldn't feed a huge hunk of it either, but I certainly leave the skin on the chicken I feed and the pork and venison hearts I use have quite a bit of fat also. Pork is a fattier meat as well. I might cut off a big hanging blob, but I leave most of it.

I also do omega 3 supplementation in the form of salmon oil. I also occasionally use coconut oil, and recently added in the Missing Link (prescription strength) that Zoey's mom recommended and I like it. I will alternate it with Nupro.

I think if you start to gradually add in more fats to Feo's meals, you'll see a big difference in his coat.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tracy and Heather, I will leave the skin on chicken and turkey in the future and will leave them more fat on pork and others. I think I had just become phobic of fat from living with a mother who is OBSESSED with dieting for so long lol. I awlays have equated fat with bad but I didn't realise how important it was for the dogs. I just went through some of the raw feeding photos poosted in this section by people the other day and realised that everyone else wasnt taking all the skin and fat off and it dawned on me :noops:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yeah, if you ever wonder about ratios or how to feed, etc. just go back to the basics of the Prey Model diet which is modeled after a prey animal. Think a whole rabbit. A mouse. A quail. An entire animal that they would eat if given the chance.... they wouldn't skin it. They would eat it. They might shake some of the guts out, but they would eat the meat, the bones, and most of the organs. They'd also ingest some fur/feathers. The whole enchilada - so to speak. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts