Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.Freckles has been shaking reallllyy bad lately.So we took him to the vet and he has epilepsy.He is now on meds.So any info anyone has would be very helpfull.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My Jose has had epilespy over 2.5 yrs now...but just this past May did it get bad enough for him to be put on meds...He gets phenobarbital 2 times a day and had not had a seizure since May..
I think the most important thing would be to get the proper blood work..Jose had his blood tested every 2 weeks for about 2 months to be sure he was getting the correct dosage of PB...These meds are known to be hard on their livers...However from what I understand it takes sometime before liver damage happens..But I wouldn't chance that...my vet suggested having his liver enzymes tested at the 6 month mark but I wasn't comfortable with that...and had it tested at the 3 month mark..It had gone up from the test he had before he started the meds but nothing to worry about..I myself will have it tested every 3 months because I'd want to catch any damage before it was to far gone..
I was told to make sure and feed a very good quality food as well..Which Jose has always been on..
Yahoo has a canine epilepsy group that has helped me out when I had questions..
Good Luck
Nancy

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So sorry to hear that :(
I hope your little one will feel better soon.
I have never had any experience with dogs with epilepsy, but from what I have heard they can be well controlled with medication and live a happy long life

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is on meds and doing pretty good.He has not a seizure in a week.He is getting half a pill two times a day of phenobarbital.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts