Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well I am getting my Chi in 6 days. I've pretty much got everything but her toys, leash and collar, and a few other things. Anyways, today i was shopping.. I've gotten her a kennle,bed(which i am in love with, it is sooo soft, just what she needs) and food dishes and some other nic nacks. I was going to get a liter box, and then i was going to get puppy pads, and then i was just thinking of using plain old news paper... BUT the thing is, i dont want her to get used to going inside at all because its too much of a hassle to clean up that everyday for the next 15 or so years. I do not want to do that. I want her to go outside... So, what im thinking of, is taking her outside in the backyard every 2 hours or so and 15 mins after she eats, and once she does her thing.. reward her. Thing is, shes coming here at a very early age.. 6 weeks because all the other pups are leaving then.. I dont really know what i should do for potty training.... its going to get really cold in about a month because im in canada, and it is close to december. If ne one can please give me some suggestions on what to do, or if i have a good idea here.. or something, anything please tell me.. and i really dont want to resort to puppy/training pads for the rest of her life..

thnx guys

·
Registered
889 Posts
i'm sorry. i really don't mean to sound harsh, but.... you say that you don't want to use potty pads because it is too much of a hassle to clean it up everyday? you will have to clean up her poop outside-- so either way, you will be cleaning up some sort of excrement pretty much everyday. heaven forbid, this puppy that you've been dying to get will inconvenience you. :shock:

it is possible to train your chi to go both inside and outside. and since you live in canada, i STRONGLY urge you to train her both ways because you probably shouldn't take that pup out when it's very cold outside. chi's are very sensitive to cold. we live in ohio and zoey will shiver when it's 60 degrees out. and that isn't even cold. i can't imagine her being outside when it's 1 degree out.

since we've trained zoey to go on pads, i cannot tell you how to train your chi to go both inside and outside. i know some people on here have done it so maybe they can give you advice. :wave:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im sorry but, i just dont want the smell all the time in here, and we've always trained our dogs to go outside-- this is what i am used to, puppy/training pads cost $ also.. i was thinking of doing the inside/outside thing too.. but my mom says she has a friend who has a chi, and he always goes outside and never inside.. and i'd like to do something similar .....if i do... have to resort to using inside as well.... what would u guys recommend? and is there really such thing as dog litter? and where can i get it if there is..

·
Registered
549 Posts
My chis (6) are box trained. I started by using the Purina second nature litter, but have since changed to kitty litter that is pellets like the dog litter and it is cheaper (1/3 the price). The litter of puppies that I have right now are using pee pads, but they are also learning to use the litter box, which is great.
When you introduce the litter, don't fill the pan around the pup, it sounds like food being poured in a bowl. And sometimes they want to chew on it, but they will get over that quickly. I love the litter boxes, I just have to scoop every morning.
Don't get me wrong, my chis also go outside at least 4 times a day, but I work and it is great for the time I am away.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so, u think its a good idea to litter train her, and outside?.. any suggestions on doing so?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am not gonna be a whole lot of help here, but I do understand why you don't want her to go potty inside, I only take mine outside. I have to say though, Canada gets sooooo cold, that I think you almost have to do both. I have never box trained mine so I can't help you on how to do that, but one thing for sure, right away, get her used to you putting sweaters on her!! I know she is going to be a tiny thing at first, so you can even use a thick sock. (just cut out the bottom) I would be worried though when you have a very deep freeze and she goes outside about her little toes.
By the way, sounds like you have got everything else ready, that is great!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
My pups were trained to go on pads, but like you I got sick of the smell. I also baught the second nature dog litter and that didnt help with the smell either. I clean up the mess everytime but you still get the smell. I since changed and trained them to go outside b/c people were commenting that my room smelled, and that was with me cleaning after them constantly and spraying air freshener. So I also understand where you are coming from.

The reason I trained them inside is because it was too cold in the winter and because I was at school a lot. Since I am home more now and since I have gotten my pups sweaters I dont feel so guilty taking them out.
It was very hard to train them inside...most of the time they would just miss the pad or litter pan. I used quite a lot of floor cleaner during this time.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, i'd really like to train her to go outside only.. but when shes soo small, i'll have to carry her up the stairs alot until she gets the hang of it.. lots of work, taking her out alot to make sure she does her things OUTSIDE... can i ask how u got them going outside? ..shes going to be in my room alot, and then theres a room next to me.. freezer room, its not cold by all means, it just has my fridge there.. that is where ill probably put her while im out instead of her crate once shes a bit older.. i have to go to school as well.. im just not sure how to do this really... any pointers, or anything would be very much appreciated, because im just very concerned about what im going to do, i still really dont have a plan for it..

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I just rememberd who you were and the pup you are getting (sorry but its late where I am and my mind shuts down after 10pm...lol)

If I were you I would definately train your pup to go in a litter box until she is big enough to go outside!

This is what you do...I would buy both the dog litter pan and the pads (my dogs HATED the litter, but were okay on the pads). Buy a pen of some sort, anything that can go around the litterbox. When ever you take your pup out of the crate stick her right in the litter box and have the gate around it. When she goes potty praise her and give her treats. Soon she will get use to the area and you wont have to keep the gate up. When she is playing put the gate down so she can get into the pan. If you catch her pottying in the wrong place just say NO in a sharp, quick voice but dont yell or get mad. Quickly pick your puppy up and place her in the box. Give the command to potty there. If you need too pu the gate up again. If you see that she pooped on the floor try placing the poop on the pads...sounds grose but it helps them realize where to go.

You are just going to have to get over the smell and mess for now...your pup is going to be way too small to handle the outdoors during this time of the year....it was the reason I trained Ginger to go inside..she just started to go outside during the summer. I still have the pan and pads in their room in case they have to go and I am not home.

Having a puppy is hard work and its messy. They will smell and they will be a lot of work but that just part of owning a dog. Hope this helped...please dont take that tiny pup out in the cold weather!

If you need more help on the matter, let us know. You might find some great hints on the internet if you do a google search about housebreaking and litterbox training puppies.

Good luck!!! Let us know when you get your pup!

-Jessica

·
Registered
151 Posts
Kurrazie - I'm afraid you have to be ready for a mess :wink:
I got my Pupa at 6 weeks also, and what I can tell you - such tiny puppies cannot control their bladders at that age...Even if you take her out every hour, you will still have the accidents.
As I understood you'll have to go to school... So as suggested here, you better think about either litter-box training or puppy pads..
As for me, I am using old newspapers, and ...hmm...maybe something is very wrong with my sence of smell -but I can tell you it doestn smell so much (when I ask people they say that it doesnt smell at all)
My chi is almost 4 months now, and she (currently she has to stay a week at home after the injection) is doing her poo and pee both inside and outside. I will not make her do it ONLY outside, since it is getting very windy and humid here in winter...
I bought her a tray (I didnt find a litter box that is big enough, cat's are not good), put a new paper in there, and she is fine with that - and very easy to clean.

Another important question - are you planning to take her out before she's got any shots (injections)? I wouldn advice you....

And if she is going to be in your room a LOT - remove the carpet if you have any :lol: it is easier to clean the floor :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You will just need to clean a lot to make sure your room does not smell. I bought this citrus air freshener and it worked like a champ! I also bought floor cleaner to clean their area when they missed the box.
Like everyone else said, your pup is way too small to be outside this late in the year with winter coming. I would wait to potty train your pup for outside when the weather becomes warm again (not just a weekend of unseasonable warm weather eitehr, I mean late springtime). You would be suprised just how cold a chihuahua can get. Tequila is 8lbs and she cannot be outside when it is very cold without shoes and a sweater. She would come in after being out for like 30 seconds and she would be screaming and limping. Vet told me its because they cannot tolerate the cold like other breeds.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
my 2 use puppy pads and outdoor as it gets very cold here in england too and chihuahuas are not designed to be in the cold - I think you need to get used to cleaning as there will be alot involved with a puppy - she will need to go to the toilety every hour to hour and half - straight after eating, sleeping and playing - alot of trips upstairs.

will someone be with her for the first weeks or so due to her very young age she shouldnt really be left alone at all :wave:

·
Registered
450 Posts
How do I say what I feel without sounding rude or like I am trying to discourage you?

Well, I just hope that I don't hurt your feelings, but I have to express that I am concerned about this puppy that you are getting. I know you have done your research and all your shopping and you are getting prepared for the puppy in that sense, but I still don't feel like you have any idea what you're in for. You WILL have messes. There is no way around that. At 6 weeks of age, puppies have NO control over their eliminations. NONE, absolutely NONE. When they have to go, they will go, wherever, whenever. They are still used to momma cleaning up their excrement for them. 6 weeks is so early to bring a pup home. In canada, at this time of year, is not the ideal time to try and potty train a 6 week old puppy. Being even more realistic, trying to train a 6 week old puppy to do anything is impossible. I have a feeling you are going to be very frustrated when you get this puppy, and realize you will have no control over what it does. I too, hope someone will be with this puppy, and it won't be left alone. The puppy will develop VERY strong separation anxiety if left alone at this age. I know you say you are ready, but this is a BIG responsibility! *sigh* Hope I didn't ruffle anyones feathers too much, but I think we are all thinking the same things.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I am not trying to discourage you at all but just thought i would share my thoughts. My boy is trained to go outside only But I don't have to worry about cold weather. I think most people here would agree that it is not unrealistic to expect potty trainging to take 3 to 6 months so you will be dealing with this training for some time. It is worth every minute but that is the reality :roll:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
joe beans I too agree with what you are saying - kurrazie having a puppy this young etc is a great bvig responsibility when you ghet back from schoool to you go to bed it will need constant care and company it is not an accessory but an animal that needs looking after - it will need someone 24 7 till it is 12 weeks old then you can leave it alone gradually for a couple of hours in a safe place with everything it needs - due to the young age you are going to have to teach this pup to be a dog - regarding biting playing etc.

please do not take this post the wrong way we are all trying to offer advice on what the best is for the puppy and for you - you are a young girl who surely must have friends to go out with etc - are you ready for the responsibility of a dog to look after- from what you have said in this post and previous posts it seems to me and others that you are wanting the pup to be house train=ed in a week and just be cute an lovely - trust me they are not like this all the time mine are 1 and still use puppy pads , they are naughty , they need walking daily when i get back from work and it is the last thing i feel like doing, they are needy - i never get 5 mins to sit by myself I have to have a dog on my lap - all said and done I wouldnt change them for the world but i am an adult and they are my responsibility - I wouldnt have wanted them at 15 - except maybe for a fashion accessory

anyway s I wish you the best of luck - I just want you to be prepared :wave:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
u think it'd be okay in the summer to switch her to outside?.. it wouldnt be too confusing would it?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Dont know if i have missed this BUT who is going to look after the chi whilst you are at school! :?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts