Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about Tink's size. The breeder said she is 21 oz right now and she's 14 weeks. I've looked at a weight chart but don't know how acurate it can be. I was told she would be 3 to 4 pounds but maybe as small as 2 1/2. I'm just curious if anyone's chi weighted about the same at 14 weeks and how big they got. I'm only wondering this because I was going to order her a cute little jacket and I don't want to get it yet if she might out grow it. So if your baby is now full grown and was about the same size when that age, can you let me know their size now? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I really cant remember what keeks used to weigh, but as for the weight charts accuracy, when she was younger she was kinder following the weights to end up between 4.5lb and 5lb, she has ended up just under 6lb.
Id take into consideration the weights of tink parents aswell, also from the foto she looks like she may turn out to be the tall and skinny type chi as opposed to short and stocky (altho im not to sure) so she may take a smaller size bacause of that.
If you want tink to like wearing clothes id buy her something that would fit her now, for her o get used to it
mia
x

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can never tell

My Chi had three pups--two 4oz & one 2oz. (Mom was 4lbs & Dad was 2-3/4 lbs) I followed the weight chart that I found on-line regarding expected adult weight from birth to adults. Mom quit feeding them at 3 weeks, so I had to feed them formula and at 5 weeks old, supplemented their diet with a mixture of formula & canned puppy food.

The most vibrant (nice way of saying he was a hog) was the biggest and steadly gained weight, jumping each column each week. According to the chart, he was going to jump off the chart into a hefty, large over-sized Chi. He ended up weighing 3 lbs as an adult. Perfect chisled Chi body--loves to run, jumps & leaps from the top of tall chairs across the room onto another. Scares me because I can't fanthom how he can do it & would simply be devistated if he ever falls or land wrong onto the carpeted floor.

The 2oz followed the chart, only going back and forth between 2 columns. As an adult, weighed 3 lbs. also. (according to the chart, was to weigh 2 lbs) He is a big baby, still acts like a puppy. A real sweetie pie.

The other 4oz puppy, didn't gain as much weight as his other 4oz brother and followed the chart perfectly, then at 9 months, he kept growing. (According to the chart, was to weigh 4lbs) As an adult, he is a hefty, large boned Chi. He still has puppy fat, even if he lost a half-pound, would border a 6 pounder. He is the sweetest and very comical. He does a better job of mothering than their mom, seeing that his sibblings are groomed every day. I feel bad for him because they don't recipicate.

So from my novice experience, I have determined that the chart did not apply in my case and you can not determine the weight of a puppy by the parents or grandparents, even though it is a good indicator most of the time. It is up to the genes--and you never know what distant ancestor's trait might just pop in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:wave: One of my Chi's, Mila, was tiny for a long time, until she was 4 months old, then it seemed like she grew overnight. She's 5 lbs, very long legged and slender body. She never did grow into her ears though! :lol: My others are at the size I expected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts