Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it. I just got some stuff in the post today from peta and it has a small list of things that are tested on animal and eukanuba is one of them :shock:
I mean they are making this food to help keep your animal alive but are killing others in the process. God that makes my blood boil. I have only ever bought one bag of that food and never will I touch it again!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
i've noticed that alot of dog food is tested on animals minus the ones you really dont know the names of..that arent that common..atleast thats what i see b/c i looked at the list of food that wasnt tested on animals on the peta site after seeing the whole iams thing and i didnt know one name on the big list of dog food.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: Eventually, I think, all dog foods are tested on dogs/animals...there's no safe way to tell what a food would do to your pet without having to do a test and testing on humans wouldn't work since some of our healthy food can kill a dog. :wink:

:wink: Whatever PETA says I would take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I agree with Vala. If food is not tested on animals, how would people know if the food is good or bad for them?

i honestly do think though, that the animal labs they do the testing at are horrible. food testing should be done on a voluntary basis in humane, comfortable environments...like if an owner wanted to volunteer to have their dog try the food for a few weeks at home then give the results to the company.

PETA means well in their actions, but they can be a bit extreme. I for one really don't agree with some of their ideas, like how they don't even think dogs, cats, birds, fish, etc should be kept as pets.

·
Registered
403 Posts
so true..how would they know if it was harmful to your pet if they didnt test..i mean i DON'T agree with the living situations of the animals who are being tested and how they continually test on animals while their already sick and dont treat them to get better but what can you really do..it takes alot of time and effort to shut labratories like that down..honestly my chi's do eat eukanuba

·
Registered
718 Posts
Some of those labs they use make me so sad. I made sure to read up on the company I chose (Natura/Innova) before I bought their product. One of the reasons I refused to use Iams or Eukanuba (same company) was because of the website http://www.iamscruelty.com. If they eat wholesome ingredients there shouldn't be any need for this type of testing. :cry:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: That site has been posted over and over all over this site and it always ends up with trusty members writing emails or letters to the company and the company responding about how those labs are from years ago when they knew no better and how the companies testing procedures are humane now...like i said PETA=grain of salt and that site I believe was hosted by them. :wink:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, you're right...it is a Peta website. But apparently Iam's has admitted to it and changed their practices, so I guess Peta's good for something :) I haven't seen the website posted here before, sorry, but that video just made me sick to my stomach. In good conscience I couldn't buy from a company who says they didn't know better. How do you not know something is cruel and wrong?

·
Registered
683 Posts
There must be other ways and means of testing things to see if they are ok for people and animals - surely science is advanced enough now! Maybe its because it's more expensive and testing animals is cheaper!

I think it is just complete cruelty but what can you do your pet has to eat! Its a tricky situation.

What about pro plan do they test on animals as i hear this is a really good food for animals!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Alli said:
How do you not know something is cruel and wrong?
:dontknow: There are lots of examples but all of them would take me out of topic, is all part of evolution, if you can't give second chances is up to you. If they don't do it anymore I don't see why their food is bad... :D besides the obvious fact that is great food but not the best. Stinky ate it as a puppy and he was healthy and shiny, they eat it know mixed with their RC, too, and they are great. :wink:

:D That's all I'm gonna say on this topic, believe what you wanna believe. :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I truely believe 'If they eat whole some ingredients there shouldn't be any need for this type of testing' .Proctor and gamble are the company who supply SOOO many products that we use and to this day they STILL test on animals. They are ojne of the worst companies out there. If you could only see the animals being tested on I bet you wouldnt use the same prodcuts. Of course there are companies out there who dont test on animals. I dont know how they do it but they do so why cant the all. We are advanced enough in technogy these days

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Here's are the facts from Eukanuba's web site once again:

An animal rights organization is making misleading allegations about feeding studies performed for The Iams Company at an external facility that we left in early 2003. These allegations not only are old, but also are highly sensationalized and laced with untruths.

Here are the facts about Iams:

FACT: Posing as an animal lover, an activist "undercover investigator" was hired for an Iams-funded role in the contract facility. She had responsibility for the socialization and enrichment of the dogs participating in Iams' feeding studies, and was paid to develop and implement a program to ensure that these dogs were well cared for. Rather than focusing on her assignment she captured video not of the scenes of the socialization and enrichment activities she was being paid to develop and deliver, but of dogs and cats that were housed in the same facility but not a part of Iams studies.

FACT: Iams doesn't kill dogs or cats! It's against the research policy that has been in place for years.

FACT: Iams does not authorize the debarking of any dogs.

FACT: Iams has an industry-leading global animal studies policy that ensures the care and welfare of every dog and cat participating in our feeding studies.

FACT: Iams is committed to the ultimate elimination of laboratory feeding studies as scientifically valid alternatives become available -and we are actively using, developing and seeking alternatives!

FACT: Iams takes full responsibility for the destiny of each and every dog and cat participating in our feeding studies, a program established as of July, 2003. Dogs and cats are adopted into loving homes after they stop working with Iams or they retire with Iams.

FACT: Iams is a company full of pet lovers who dedicate their lives to helping dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives. We see this in the more than 30 million pets worldwide who annually thrive on the innovative nutrition of The Iams Company.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These facts do say they do not test on cats or dogs. But what about other animals? The company like I said before works with Proctor and gamble who are one of the biggest animaltesting companies out there. Even if they do not test on animals themselves they are helping a large company that do.

I didnt wanna make a big debate about this and I know everyone is entitled to there own views as I am to mine

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Vicky, thank you for sharing the info on Proctor & Gamble with us. I did go to their web site to see what they had to say about animal testing.

This forum is about exchanging information and helping each other whenever we can. Just goes to show that we can learn something new every day. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I think Iams was worse then the others with its testing but I totally agree with Vala,
Whatever PETA says I would take it with a grain of salt.
PETA are full of extremists and there is actually a statistic out there on PETA that I heard on the radio while driving to work....turns out that PETA ends up puttind down about 75-80% of the animals they 'save' while the ASPCA saves about 85% of the animals they rescue and finds them new homes.

You have to do some animal testing, its how you go about the testing that needs to be investigated.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
To tell you the truth, I had never even heard of PETA until I saw the "Southpark" episode on Comedy Central about them. That's when I looked at their site. Some of what PETA does I support, while ither things I do not.

As far as animal testing goes...like I said before, testing foods should be done in a humane, comfortable environment. However, and please don't get mad at what I'm about to say, we DO need testing done for some products, such as medications. If animal testing didn't exist we wouldn't have things out there that help us get better when we're sick, we wouldn't have headache medicine, we wouldn't have medications that help people with cancer or AIDS. I have a cousin who is HIV positive, and I know I would rather have him on medication keeping him alive and well versus having no medication for him and seeing him suffer with the disease.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Angel5218 said:
I think Iams was worse then the others with its testing but I totally agree with Vala,
Whatever PETA says I would take it with a grain of salt.
PETA are full of extremists and there is actually a statistic out there on PETA that I heard on the radio while driving to work....turns out that PETA ends up puttind down about 75-80% of the animals they 'save' while the ASPCA saves about 85% of the animals they rescue and finds them new homes.

You have to do some animal testing, its how you go about the testing that needs to be investigated.
I agree with all of the above. PETA is not the lily-white organization they would have you believe they are, and some of their viewpoints and beliefs are just too far out in left field for me. And I have read several articles on the internet about the number of animals they are supposed to be rescueing that are euthanized almost immediately.

They sensationalize things way too much, and I would be very skeptical about everything they say or do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts