Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am from canada and i emailed a breeder in california asking some questions about her breeding program and her pups etc because her site looks good but we all know looks can be deceiving.....anyways....she breeds mainly small chis like small body structure anywhere from 2 # to 4# they all look healthy so i figured my questions would be answered easily and there wouldnt be any problems. i asked her how her females give birth because alot of them are very small for breeding, i asked her if she lets ppl come see the paretns and babies, i mentioned that her puppies are quite small and have larger eyes that are wider set apart and if her dogs came with a health guaranee.....i used the words bulgy eyes and really domed heads and she took great offense to that and said my questions werent normal and she was really offended and she went on to get really mad at me....even when i told her my questions werent meant to offend only that there are soo many sketchy breeders over the initernet and that i wanted to hear from her to make sure i wasnt supporting an inhumane breeder......does any of this sound odd??? is she right?? were my questions rude??? i am essentially arguing with this woman i have never met before over my questions being rude??? im quite bothered by it......

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I think if she was a good breeder she would be polite to you and answer all your questions,walk away sounds an awful woman

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Breeders should be used to questions like that, at least you are interested and inquiring about them...?? Some breeders get really offended by a lot of questions haha.

I had one breeder go apemonkies on me haha he basically just went off the wall nuts, and ended with telling me to go read a bible lmfao. He wanted like $3000 for the dog, hell yes I am going to ask questions. I am glad I did because it was not the right dog at all for me and he lied basically about everything anyway.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I think if she was a good breeder she would be polite to you and answer all your questions,walk away sounds an awful woman
I gotta agree with Michele for sure.

She may be OK, but just thought you were trying to say that she had bad breeding practices, but that makes me a little iffy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to be fair my questions probably did come out wrong with the way i described her dogs.....because in BC and Alberta from what i have found people dont seem to breed such small dogs they are very beautiful but they dont seem to have as domed heads and short noses and wide spread eyes as whati have found in the US and on this womans website....so i understand if she took offense to the words i used...but when i went on to explain thast i really didnt mean to offend and that i was sorry for her feeling attacked...she did nto accept my apology and went on to say that she is not here to be a phsyciatrist for ppl who have had bad experiences over the internet. and thats where it bothers me....she can be mad for the things i said...but after i explain to her why i said the things i said wouldnt most breeders see that its only to be safe and know that im doing the best for my puppy??????

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have to agree with the above. There are many people out there that contact breeders and do not know the first thing about the questions to ask. A reputable breeder would not fly off the handle, they would educate you. I would run from this breeder ;-)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yah i can...it would be nice to have a second opinion...there are soo many places out there its hard to pick out the bad ones....her website seems really good....she even has on there that she rescues cats......i just wanted to question her about the very petite mothers and a few health questions about the pups etc.....ill send it to you right now!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Websites can be very misleading and some of the most beautiful and most informative I have ever seen have been owned by Puppymills. I dont think you need a second opinion on this breeder, I think she has told you everything you need to know already ;-)

Go to your local breed club and look for reputable Chihuahua breeders there :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow, you tried your best. I don't think I'd want to deal with her anymore if I were you.
I would run because what happens when you need support/advice for your new pup?.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I just saw the website and let me say I have heard of them and would pass if it were me..JMO ;-)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yah i was a little sketched out with her site but it was so informative and seemed to have everything its supposed to so i thought i would check it out a little further but her reaction has completely put me off.....i have a wonderful breeder in alberta that i got apple from and she takes amazing care of her dogs and breeds beautiful show quality dogs....i only ventured away from her because i was looking for somthing a bit different and a little smaller then what she generally offers for my second chi....but i am convinced that she is the only breeder i will buy from ever! after seeing what there is to offer...i have found many good breeders in canada and i am definatly going to stick to them!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Good idea ;-)

There are tons of red flags on that site. Even though she shows she still uses taboo terms and is breeding for tinies. I agree some of them definitely have Hydro looking heads :-(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you so much i was really starting to feel liek crap that this lady was so mad at me.....but she obviously is on the defense cause she has something to hide....i cant beleive i felt bad for saying the things i said to her...i was apologising to her:S:S:S i shouldnt feel guilty for asking questions about her breeding program and health of her dogs.....

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
No you should not ;-)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Everyone is right. She shouldn't be so defensive about her breeding practices. I don't know who she is, but run! Run away! ;) Your gut instincts were spot on.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have found those who get really defensive usually have something to hide. I think it's great to ask questions and even better that you are able to spot potential issues. Some breeders get really upset if you question them, but I think as puppy buyers it's our responsibility to ask questions. A responsible breeder will ask you questions as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts