Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you tether for house training? Put the leash around your ankle? Carry it? I've been trying to decide how to make it practical, but I'm new to this method. Also, how long a leash is practical? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tethering isn't an easy thing no matter how you do it. It works, don't get me wrong, but there's a certain degree of inconvenience that comes along with it.

Because chis are so tiny, the shorter the tether the better. I just used a regular lightweight leash, and attached it to me or a piece of furniture any way that worked. I got a heavy duty bulldog clip so that I could loop the leash around furniture and secure it with the clip to make it as short as I needed, or clip it to some part of my clothing, or whatever was the most appropriate at the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tethering isn't an easy thing no matter how you do it. It works, don't get me wrong, but there's a certain degree of inconvenience that comes along with it.

Because chis are so tiny, the shorter the tether the better. I just used a regular lightweight leash, and attached it to me or a piece of furniture any way that worked. I got a heavy duty bulldog clip so that I could loop the leash around furniture and secure it with the clip to make it as short as I needed, or clip it to some part of my clothing, or whatever was the most appropriate at the time.
Thanks for your advice, will give it a try!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tink, forgot to ask how long did you need to use this method?
Hmmm. Well it was a long time ago now, so I can't really remember. I mean, I did it in conjunction with a variety of other things for house training. Too, my timeframe with my dogs won't necessarily be the same as you with yours. Every dog responds differently, at different speeds, so there's not a very accurate frame of reference. Too, some dogs tend to regress or relapse after you think they've got it, so there's that to add to the runway too.

I remember that Tango was pretty quick to house train. Jazz, not so much ;) She's the ditz about most things anyway, so it made sense that she'd be ditzy about potty stuff along with everything else. But she's so endearing, and I love her, so I make allowances. :love10:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts