Chihuahua People Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Wow. Since the lamb ribs were not a hit I went and bought chicken necks. I took off the skin and on the advice of the pet store cut the neck in half. My little girl went after it aggressively and ate it really fast. I am happy she didn't snub it but now worry it was to small and she may have not chewed well. Should I not cut them in half? Are the bones so soft that she didn't need to gnaw on them?
How big are the chicken necks? The ones I buy are fine whole and the perfect size for my 5 lb dog, but I know some are longer and would be too much.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't worry about the bones, they will digest just fine even if she didn't crunch them at all. Dogs stomachs are meant to digest bone like that, they don't need to chew like we do.

I don't feed chicken necks but maybe other people who do will chime in- I don't think you need to cut them in half but I guess you can if you want to. Also in the future there is no need to remove the skin, unless your chi is having digestive upset, then maybe remove the skin the first couple of times until they are more used to eating raw bones. Skin and fat are actually good for dogs in their raw form, no need to trim it too much usually.
Is there something about chicken necks that make them not as good to feed? I have a limited variety of things available that are hormone and antibiotic free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How big are the chicken necks? The ones I buy are fine whole and the perfect size for my 5 lb dog, but I know some are longer and would be too much.
Thanks they were about 6 inches long and my hubby defrosted them just enough to cut in half and freeze. They were all bundled together and I didn't see how big they were until he had already cut them and the pieces were only about 3 inches once cut in half. :( I thought it was small and wondered why they told me to cut them in half. My girl is 6 pounds and they saw her.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Is there something about chicken necks that make them not as good to feed? I have a limited variety of things available that are hormone and antibiotic free.
No- nothing wrong with them- I mean they are a lot of bone and if you are feeding just raw you would want to balance them with more meat but a lot of cuts are like that. I just have access to a lot of other edible bones for very cheap from local farmers so I don't buy chicken necks.

And a lot of people feed "regular" beef and pork (as in not antibiotic or hormone free), obviously higher quality meat is better but it is still all loads better than processed foods. What you really have to worry about is enhanced meats- ones with solutions added during processing.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Every dog is different. Sounds like she is a greedy gus if she gulped down half a chicken neck without chewing/gnawing. I would go bigger with a dog like that. Think pieces as big as her head. Pieces that she can't just gulp down and swallow. Pieces that she has to work on. Take a walk through your grocery store meat aisle and see what they have. Maybe a pork shoulder? Cut off most of the meat and just give the bone with the meat on it. Beef ribs if pork ribs weren't liked. Pig feet. Lamb ribs. Turkey necks. Maybe even a chicken quarter. (Leg and thigh attached). Chicken back? Half a cornish hen? Let her have these meaty pieces and work on them for awhile. Then trade up with a special treat. She may not want to just give it up to you if she's really loving it. So get something extra special and give that to her and then when she drops the meaty bone, pick it up and throw in the fridge or freezer for another day.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Thanks they were about 6 inches long and my hubby defrosted them just enough to cut in half and freeze. They were all bundled together and I didn't see how big they were until he had already cut them and the pieces were only about 3 inches once cut in half. :( I thought it was small and wondered why they told me to cut them in half. My girl is 6 pounds and they saw her.
Without getting a ruler out and measuring, I'd say the ones I buy are about 3 inches. For Odie, that's the magic number and her next poop is always firmer and smaller, but still normal. On chicken neck days, sometimes I'll give her a piece of dehydrated liver treat to offset the bone.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
That was going to be my next question. I hesitate to feed them raw. Where/how do you feed them so they don't get blood/bacteria all over the place?
Sue

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
You can feed outside in the garden, or on a towel etc on a wipe clean floor such as in the kitchen, then just pop the towel in the washing machine. Lots of raw feeders train their dogs to stay on the towel whilst eating. I prefer to feed in their crates, on a clean puppy pad. Then once they have finished, it goes in the bin, simple :)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Where/how do you feed them so they don't get blood/bacteria all over the place?
Sue
I bought a little water proof eating mat for Lilo and trained her to eat on that on the kitchen floor. I say "on your mat Lilo" if she drags the food slightly off of it and she goes right back on the mat. And it's so easy to wash. Now she knows it so well, she goes and stands on her mat when she wants food. :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put my little Spirit and my little Benji on an old beach towel. I soak it in bleach detergent and water then I pop it into the washer twice a week. There's more danger of bacteria in kibble because all the vitamins that are added to dog food comes from china. There are no real inspectors there. That's why there are so many recalls.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What a great thread! I know I should be giving my Charlie a raw bone to supplement his home cooked meals but will a raw bone have the same effects on his digestion as raw meat? He tried some raw chicken a little while ago and it caused him very loose stools.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Yes and no lol. All new foods can cause loose stools, so should be introduced gradually. However, it is the bone content in a raw diet that keeps the stool firm, so you are less likely to get a loose stool when feeding a bony meal than plain meat. Start small, just a chicken wing tip for example, and if he does well with that he can have more next time. When starting with raw we tend to use bone in chicken to begin with to avoid loose stools.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for that WPixue, I actually forgot to mention my little boy is around 11 ish months old, I suppose he can handle chicken wing tips and I'll get some soon but is he old enough for the bigger raw bones like lamb, ribs or chicken thigh bones? Re the raw meat, to be on the safe side I went and bought 1 packet of raw minced chicken and 1 of lamb from the petstore and partially cooked them, leaving it about 50% pink then adding puréed raw veg so there's some rawness there. He wolfed it down. Just a waiting game now to see what/how he poops!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Be careful when cooking minces designed for pets, a lot of them contain bone, and you don't want to be feeding cooked bones.
Lots of puppies are weaned onto raw, and start gumming chicken wings before their teeth come in, so at 11 months with all his adult teeth you will be amazed at what your boy can eat. It may take a while to build up jaw strength, but he will definitely be able to manage poultry bones which are actually quite soft.
If you want to switch to raw you will find it much simpler than home cooking. As well as not needing to do the actual cooking part, you don't need to worry about supplements, as long as you stick to the ratio of 8:1:1 meat, bone and organ. The only supplements I add are coconut and fish oils, to make up for any shortfalls in the meat due to how it is produced. If I only fed organic, grass reared meats the even this would not be necessary. That is one of the best things about feeding raw, mother nature has balanced it all for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for that, I agree about the organic and I'm happy to spend the extra for the better nutrition. I'll try and pick up some chicken liver too. By the way - there are bone and cartiledge fragments within the raw minces I bought so I was very careful to only cook for a few minutes till the general mixture was still pink and those fragments would hopefully have remained as unaffected by the cooking as possible. However, I understand what you're saying so I'll supervise him at all meal times till the batches have been eaten by which time he should be ready for 100% raw (yay!).

41 - 60 of 61 Posts