Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know that I live in a condo. No fences allowed, or at least permanent ones. I am looking into a large pen that could be moved once a week for the grass to be mowed. I looked at a wire exercise pen with 8 panels that could be enlarged to double that size with a second pen of the same size. It is a real pain to walk the two chi's as they go under and between each other! With Bonnie the pup coming, I decided it would be easier to get a large pen. Does any one have ideas? The bigger the better, but still has to be dismantable easily! Sue

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 2 of the 8 panel pens for Stella. By Midwest I think. I love it. So easy to fold up and move, best part is that they fold flat, so they don't take up much room when not in use.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
I have 2 of the 8 panel pens for Stella. By Midwest I think. I love it. So easy to fold up and move, best part is that they fold flat, so they don't take up much room when not in use.
I am also looking for exercise pens....got a question.....

so you put 2 of the pens together? would that provide enough exercise room for 2 chihuahuas? can you put more together?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I so happy you asked this question. We don't have a full fence in our backyard. Do you guys think a panel of these could help section off part of the yard for like a dog run I guess.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They do clip together very easily, and it takes my 8 year old son less than 5 min to set them up. Set up together gives me a 4' x 8' space. I think it's definatly enough room for 2 to Play. I'm not sure how durable it is for being outside all the time, but we have had them set up since the beginning of April. And you can move them to mow, which my husband likes.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered two Midwest exercise pens----so will have 16 panels. Should be enough for the chi's to romp around in. I will take one out and walk it; that way they get a little freedom! Sue

·
Registered
382 Posts
Be cautious with wire exercise pens.

I used something similar to this for Stella: Midwest Pet Exercise Pen with Door - 42" - Gates & Exercise Pens - Dog - PetSmart

It didn't take her long to figure out how to climb out of it! If you get something your Chis might be able escape, I would strongly encourage you to get a tarp to secure on the top and make sure there are no gaps that anyone could squeeze through. If I left any gaps for mine, she'd usually weasel her way out of it.

Your Chis may not be inclined to formulate escape plans, but it's best to be prepared all the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good point. I will say that we taught Stella from day one no climbing, and I don't leave her unsupervised. Not because I think she will climb, but because tiny Chis look like snacks to hawks, and sadly, people can and do steal dogs. But it is a wonderful place to play outdoors.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone asked where I got these exercise pens. I got them through DogKennels.com in the web. They are having a sale I gather. I just lucked out. Their phone # is
1-866-749-9504. (I don't like my credit card "out there", so I call.) Sue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts