Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how much exercise your dogs get. I walk 30 minutes a day, usually early in the morning before work. Tango and Jazz are my walking buddies. I alternate between them. They pace themselves really well and don't lag. They're both good, really good, too. I keep them on the short leash rather than the retractable, but really I don't need to because they stay right with me, at my side, even with distractions. So, I alternate during the week, then usually on the weekend I'll walk twice a day, so they'll get to walk both days then.

They're in the garden with me a lot, but that's not really exercise even though they're bounding around. I try also to throw their toys for them 10 or 15 minutes a day, (more for the one who hasn't walked that day) just to give them a bit extra.

People often think that chihuahuas don't need to be walked/exercised because they're so tiny they get enough just running around the house. I disagree with that, they're DOGS and dogs need exercise. It's a healthful activity that keeps them lean with good muscle tone, keeps their joints flexible and strong, and hopefully will extend their life.

What about you? Do you exercise your dogs? What do you do and for how long?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I walk Lion twice a day, 15-20 minutes each time. On Fridays we have a little "chihuahua-meetup" with my boyfriends mom and her two dogs. We take an hour long walk on that day. I also carry Penny, because she hasn't completed her vaccines yet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I walk Pixel about an hour a day and she needs it big time! If I miss a day then she's all of a sudden naughty and causing loads of trouble round the house.

Plus I feel sorry for her if her whole world is the 4 walls of our home - talk about bored.

I agree that small or not they should be walked.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
30 mins in the morning we have a large garden so in the afternoon we play ball and zoomies,we also go to the pub through the fields that takes 25 mins each way(not every day ) she runs after the cat in the evening they play all over the house so by the end of the day she goes into her bed about 10pm exhausted

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Chico gets 30mins in the morning before work.... and sometimes again when I get home... on weekends we hike sometimes... I just wish I had someone to carry me on the long hikes when I get tired, like he does.....LOL!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Chip runs around the house pretty much all day, and every day of the week we either go on a walk around the neighborhood/park/path or meet up with my friend Shelby and her two big dogs and they roughhouse for a while (usually an hour plus). Tuesdays we have agility class now and that EXHAUSTS him, and Saturdays we're in a separate training class (that's he learned out of, but we still go to because the instructor brings in his german shepherd and he and Chip battle it out for the entire hour) that requires a lot of moving and focus.

We've been walking more than usual because Chip has always had legs long enough to race ahead of me and then get snapped back on the leash, and I've been correcting it with a head collar to teach him heel. Once we have heel down flawlessly, I may lighten up on the walks.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I can't walk very well, I destroyed my ankle falling down some stairs. So the dogs get their exercise three to four times a day doing zoomies around the backyard for an hour at a time. I have a huge backyard. I also throw toys to the three that will run after them. I wish I could walk them, I used to walk Bouncer, the lab/pit mix, for hours in the hills.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Two times a week we go to the off leash park. They spend about an hour running free, typically. More if it's cool weather.

During the other days, leash walks of 20-30 minutes. They have a garden, but tend to either lay in the sun or just casually stroll around in it.

Of they 'fight' in various configurations through the day, too.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're lucky Alan. I wish I had a dog park near me. The closest one is about 50 minutes away, and I just don't have that kind of time in my schedule. I would LOVE for the dogs to just be able to run to their heart's content, and not just to the end of their leash or tether. :(

I might just have to bite the bullet and take them to that one, even if it's just a couple times a month. I'd really like for them to have that experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts