Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often and how many minutes a day do you exercise your Chi? I have read many different things. Even though they sleep up to 16 hrs. a day they still need to play and exercise. I am just not sure for how long. What kind of "play time" activities do you do?
Can you give me examples for a pup and adult? Mine will be 9 wks when I get her. thanks.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody loves to chase a ball or any kind of toy, so I sit on the floor and throw a ball for him down the hall. He chases it and bring it back and I throw it over and over. I get tired before he does. He will chase a laser dot too, so sometimes at night we turn off all the lights and let him chase the laser. I take him for walks in the neighborhood every couple days (whenever the weather is nice enough), it's still winter here.

I dont' think that Brody sleeps 16 hours a day though. He takes a couple naps, sure, but he's awake alot of the day.

Brodysmom

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
In the winter it's different for us than in the summer. During the winter I try to get him as much exercise as possible without going on a long walk. He refuses to walk in it anyway. We play fetch, tug-o-war, but mainly fetch...he'll chase ANYTHING lol.

In the summer I go on AT LEAST 1 30min. walk a day. He gets exercise and so do I! I can also take my baby with me and he loves to go too..so it's win win for everyone in the summer time.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Lots of chase-around-the room (I stand and go BOO!, dog runs in circles happily), fetch, rarely tug of war, the BF plays that with her. If the temp is over 40, we go for a 30 minute to hour long walk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should Chis wear shoes outdoors?

Also wondering when you take your Chi for a walk do you recommend they wear shoes?
Right now it is pretty cold here in the North East, around 40 degrees. I also have great walk ways around my condo made of black asphalt. I am clueless and scared for her fragile body. I am only a newbie and want to make sure. thanks.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I wouldn't walk a 9 week old outside. She could pick up parvo or parasites, etc. You need to protect her fragile immune system until she's had at least 2-3 of her puppy shots. A 9 week old puppy will likely get enough exercise running around your condo. I wouldn't push it. You can walk her outside in the spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Chi, Snoddy enjoys walks but not in the wind , rain or cold! Other than that he will happily trot along for up to 8 miles, generally 2 miles or 4. On inclement days it's a 20 min around the block. Barometer is his tail. Up and courly, he's enjoying it.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
We don't really have a routine. I try and get them out most days, but it's been really cold this winter, so they haven't been as far as usual.

Some days they are out and about all day, we'll be taking them out for the day this week, other days it's half an hour to an hour in park, on leas, beach.

I am a full time Chi mum, so they are running around the home all day and only crated for very short periods. So they burn a lot of energy off that way.
But I believe dogs do need the stimulus of the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
My two generally have an hour to hour and a half in the mornings (off and on lead playing with other dogs!) and half hour to an hour in the late afternoon. They have built up their stamina slowly tho so now really enjoy long walks. When they were little puppies tho I carried them to lots of places, town centres, kiddy parks, train stations etc and let them get used to strange people/environments. This reeally wears them out and is good for their social development too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts