Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay are we talking about the long actual wing or just the tip of that long piece? (if its the tip then how do you get it off cause when I cut it, it is sharp? ) And how on earth do you get the skin off of those things?? I hope it is okay that they eat the skin as I gave Yoshi the long piece of wing with skin on and a few bits of meat, it did not add up to 1 oz on the scale so I hope this is right? He is having a time with it though, if he is struggling like this I cant imagine Chibi being able to break those things?

·
Registered
923 Posts
It depends. I think most people use the bit with the pointy tip (the bit people don't eat). It does have skin, and the skin is okay for them, too much ofcourse can cause the runs. I really like using bone in chicken breast for newraw dogs - the bones are a lot more flexible.

Hey, do you guys have an asian market or similar? You could also get quail, you're guys are tiny like Goose and it took him a while to work up to bigger bones (now he can go all out on a pork rib!). Tracy feeds cornish game hens, which are basically teenyweeny chickens. Those have more pliable bones too, and I think she gets her at her local Walmart. :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! I live in a rural area and we do not even have a super walmart that sales food. I will look for the cornish hens in the grocers. I gave Yoshi the whole long thin wing part of the chicken with skin as when I tried to cut it in half it was sharp and worried me. He ate it though and quicker than I thought as I kept checking on him and it disappeared and I checked everywhere to make sure he didnt hide it. The little booger shocked me. I hope he chewed them up good and didnt swallow large bones, now I am going to be worried about the skin and the bones for him :-(

So using a breast is better? How would you go about cutting up the breast so the bones are not jagged?

I am not sure I am going to get through this RAW things without a nervous breakdown.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Raw bones are not as sharp as cooked bones. I cut up my cornish hen bones with a pair of all a dollar kitchen shears. Yes there are some jagged pieces but they haven't caused any of my dogs any problems, little 4# Zoey included. My 3# min pin puppy is eating raw like a pro, she's not having any issues with it so far. She's crunching right through the bones. Most grocers have the cornish hens, I haven't been to one who hadn't yet. I don't worry about skinning my meats, if I need skinless then I buy skinless cuts of meat or just rip it/pull it off with my hands. I do remove excess fat though so not to cause pancreatitis.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Michelle, yeah the wing tip is the very end of the wing. The part that people don't eat usually. It's mostly cartilage, skin, a very small bone. I've found that it is "just enough" to firm up a stool if I need it. For regular bone-in meals I like cornish hens. They're great! Bone-in chicken breasts are good too and have a better bone to meat ratio.

If you're super worried about bones, you can always get a hammer and bang up the chicken wing and mash the bones before you give it. Sometimes that gets picky eaters started. Brody LOVES his chicken crunchy. ha.

But yes, our dogs have pointy teeth and are perfectly capable of crunching through bones. Don't expect them to chew like we do. They will slime, mash, crunch and then swallow. If it doesn't fit down the hatch, they'll hork it up and reposition it and try again. That's typical dog eating behavior. Perfectly normal.

You will become more confident as time goes on. ;) Especially as you see the benefits start cropping up. Then you will wonder how in the world you ever fed kibble. It's a process.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I give Wing tips :) wood pigeon has really flexible bones too

I must seriously be odd for not worrying about it it can be say wen they are hocking it up you think they are gagging! When daisy was teething she cried a couple of times but I think it was coz it was getting her teeth out.

They will get some jaw strength after time it's just exercise. 2lb 12 week old lotus got through a pork rib bone and all with puppy teeth (there's a video on here lol) I hope that puts your mind at ease!!

Sounds like yoshi is taking to the bones like a pro

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thanks for reminding me Sarah...... Great tip!

Michelle, go to youtube and type in raw fed dogs or raw feeding, etc. and there are a TON of videos of all breeds, sizes, types of dogs eating raw. It helped me to actually watch several other dogs eating so that I felt more comfortable. I bet it would help you too. :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I will check the videos out. I watched Yoshi this morning and he seriously crunched them until he got to the end and then he got them just small enough to swallow a chunk of bones and skin. It does look worrisome.

I gave Yoshi the long piece that starts at the joint, the actual last bone of the farthest part of the wing cut off at the joint. I would guess it was as long as my index finger. I hope this wasnt to much, I forgot and gave one last night and then one this morning. I will just do meat for him tonight and hope that will balance it out.

It is funny how he was the one I was worried about immune system and how he would do on it and it is Chibi that had the trouble, LOL!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If ti helps you feel any better, Oakley & Bryco both chomp through the bones now like absolute champs. Its their favorite part...they are both around 3.5 lbs.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thanks I will check the videos out. I watched Yoshi this morning and he seriously crunched them until he got to the end and then he got them just small enough to swallow a chunk of bones and skin. It does look worrisome.

I gave Yoshi the long piece that starts at the joint, the actual last bone of the farthest part of the wing cut off at the joint. I would guess it was as long as my index finger. I hope this wasnt to much, I forgot and gave one last night and then one this morning. I will just do meat for him tonight and hope that will balance it out.

It is funny how he was the one I was worried about immune system and how he would do on it and it is Chibi that had the trouble, LOL!
You are doing good Michelle. You will become an expert on your dogs and how they process their food by watching their poop. :) Luckily yours go on pee pads so it's super easy to adjust.

If the poops are loose, give more bone at the next meal. If they strain or the poop comes out whitish and crumbly and really hard, then give more meat. Easy.

Yours seem to have taken to the new diet really well! You have that going for you! Sometimes they become so fixated on kibble that they don't recognize chicken as food. Those dogs are harder to transition. Yours seem like old pros. Keep up the good work! :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Yes you will notice as time goes on their jaws will get stronger. I've noticed that with Zoey, she now chews on Bully sticks where before she wouldn't touch them. She also is having an easier time with the cornish hen boney pieces. I know I was worried about the edges, and things at first, and just watching Zoey fascinated me. Here is my blog that I started (hasn't been updated for a while) but there are pictures of Zoey eating lots of different meats/bones etc. You can see she has no trouble eating things. She weighs 4.5# and has no front incisors/teeth on the bottom.

My Little Carnivores

1 - 11 of 11 Posts