Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read something about how dogs should have their anal glands expressed every few months...is this absolutely necessary or just something they get when they need it? I have never had this done with Chico, or ANY of my dogs for that matter.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
you want it done before you see any abscess or redness in that area because they are signs of infection. if you see scooting or a skunk type odor (the best way i can describe that lol) then the vet can do it, your groomer can do it or even you can be taught how to do it...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
you want it done before you see any abscess or redness in that area because they are signs of infection. if you see scooting or a skunk type odor (the best way i can describe that lol) then the vet can do it, your groomer can do it or even you can be taught how to do it...
C'mon lets not sugar coat it the odor is enough to make you vomitt. We are being nice. I think i would prefer a skunk :lol:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
janiebabes said:
luv4mygirls said:
C'mon lets not sugar coat it the odor is enough to make you vomitt. We are being nice. I think i would prefer a skunk :lol:
yea it stinks lol. it's like a skunk with rotten eggs and a month old diaper pail....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, chico sure isn't emitting an odor, lol. thanx for the info though, i wasnt sure if he HAD to have it done or not.

·
Registered
634 Posts
As a former groomer, I think you should express your dog's anal sacs at least once a month. It prevents them from becoming impacted and leading to future problems. Some dogs have such problems with their anal glands that they have to have them surgically removed. If you do them often enough, there won't be a lot of *stuff*, and therefore not as *much* odor. But I always use gloves and have soap & water ready to rinse it down the drain. The smell is like no other. :evil:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Our vet told me that they should be expressed every couple of months to prevent problems.So far Poppy has had it done regularly and hardly any nasty gunk comes out.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mine are very prone to full anal glands ...... :?

cosmo had an injection when he was castrated and hasn't had problems since .....

vienna is a regular scooter :roll:

kisses nat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts