1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just took Mia to the vet...
she is 12 weeks old now.
i walked in thinking....
... my baby has grown so much, the vet will be proud.
then he put her on the scale.
she was only 2 pounds!
do any of you guys have babies about the same age as mine?
if so.... how much do they weigh?
is she extra small?????

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
She sounds just about right. She's only 3 months old, so she'll grow a lot before she's an adult.

You might want to check the chi growth chart (it's a sticky, at the top of this forum) to see what the average size of a chi will be as an adult using the weight she is today.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Cooper was 16 oz. at 12 wks. He is now 21 wks. and a little under 2 pounds. So I am not to sure what he will be full gorwn, I am hopeing for 3 pounds.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
Ozzy was 2 pound at 12 weeks and he is now fully grown at 7 pound - so that is a normal size :D
Are you serious!!! Bella is 2lbs 10 oz at 11 1/2 weeks so does that mean she is going to be like 9 lbs? Her parents were small, very small and her half sister is only 1 lb 1 oz at 8 weeks... While bella was almost 2 lbs at 8 weeks...

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
yep your going to have a big one lol :lol: allthough they still seem tiny - its just more chi to love in my books :wink: :wave:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Lexi's now 14 weeks and she's only 2.2lbs....When I first got her at 7 weeks she was 2lbs, but the vet told me to feed her less than what the previous owners had been feeding her.
So although she's grown, she's only a bit heavier.
She's at a perfect weight now, she should grow to 4lbs maximum if the chart is right.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
yep your going to have a big one lol :lol: allthough they still seem tiny - its just more chi to love in my books :wink: :wave:
well i put her up to the weight chart thing and it says she will be six lbs... while my other chi may only be 3lbs! i was hopign they would both be in the 4 lb range but oh well... i also know that no charts are accurate it is just how much the dog grows and no one can predict it. i love bella whatever size she will be... she could grow to the size of a great dane and i would love her just as much, but i would have to train her to poo in a toilet and flush it lol :wink:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
ilovekeiki said:
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
Ozzy was 2 pound at 12 weeks and he is now fully grown at 7 pound - so that is a normal size :D
Are you serious!!! Bella is 2lbs 10 oz at 11 1/2 weeks so does that mean she is going to be like 9 lbs? Her parents were small, very small and her half sister is only 1 lb 1 oz at 8 weeks... While bella was almost 2 lbs at 8 weeks...
The vet started telling me to put Cooper on a diet from the time he was 6 months old. She kept telling me he should weigh 4 lbs fully grown ... then when he hit 5 lbs, she said "okay, 6 lbs" ... then he hit 7 lbs, then 8 ... he's now 10 lbs and "husky" but probably would be 8.5 lbs at his "optimum" weight.

I was hoping for a smaller chi since my Poco was a 14 pound guy (he wasn't overweight either!) but I'll take 10 lbs ... plus, I don't care how big Cooper is or isn't ... I just thought it would be nice to have a "normal" sized chi for once! :lol:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hercules (my name for him) or Pedro (my boyfriends name for him), is 1 lb at 7 weeks. Both his parents were six pounds. I use to want a small chihuahua but now I am fine with him being big. I am so scared I will step on him or he will jump off something a break his legs so for me the stronger and bigger the chihuahua the less Ill worry! Plus even bigger chihuahuas are still tiny!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I use to want a small chihuahua but now I am fine with him being big. I am so scared I will step on him or he will jump off something a break his legs so for me the stronger and bigger the chihuahua the less Ill worry! Plus even bigger chihuahuas are still tiny

Totally agree , i would be so scared to touch tyson if he was too small! x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mia has gained .2 pounds in 3 weeks,
the vet said she is growing kinda slow.
the cart says she will be 4 pounds.
that would be ok. i hope its right.
the vet said i shouldnt expect more than 3-3.5 pounds.
i hope he is wrong.
when he told me i said.... i was hoping she would be bigger.
he got this puzzled look on his face and said....
most people say... i thought she was gonna be smaller.
but... i dont really care how much she weighs as long as she is healthy.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Chis are just like people they come in all different sizes and dont always take after the parents they take after other relations too. :?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I totally understand you wanting her to be bigger. Gizmo was 2 pounds at 8 weeks...When I got Gizmo the first question out of my mouth was "He's not going to be tiny is he?"

he is almost 6 months and weighs between 4.8 and 5 pounds. I was so worried he wouldn't get bigger as I am so scared of him getting hurt. My vet said I can expect him to weigh 6 pounds full grown. I'm happy with that :D

If I ever get another chi I would want it to be a bigger chi...maybe 8 or 9 pounds full grown...but I know those charts can be off...my friend started with a tiny scrawny chi...weighed 1pound 5 ounces at 14 weeks....her baby now weighs 7 pounds....
:D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I agree! My two boys are 6lbs grown and are a nice size. People dont realize just how small a 6 or 7 pound dog is! :roll: My "Chloe" only weighed 9onces at 12weeks old! Believe me that is a TINY dog. She is now 3pounds at almost two years old. She is a good eater and luckily has never been sick.....but, I have to watch her all the time! She is constantly hiding under the pillows on my sofa, and has been sit on a few times! :shock: She also has an "Attitude"! :wink:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I agree too! Mr. Peepers is 12 pounds and Buster is around 7.

Eventhough he'd be considered a 'big chihuahua' Buster is still really small! :wave:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella is small...she fluctuates between 3 1/2 - 4 lbs...we have to always be so careful with her...she can be hurt so easily...I often wish she had a bit more " meat " on her bones for protection.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
warped676 said:
Mia has gained .2 pounds in 3 weeks,
the vet said she is growing kinda slow.
the cart says she will be 4 pounds.
that would be ok. i hope its right.
the vet said i shouldnt expect more than 3-3.5 pounds.
i hope he is wrong.
when he told me i said.... i was hoping she would be bigger.
he got this puzzled look on his face and said....
most people say... i thought she was gonna be smaller.
but... i dont really care how much she weighs as long as she is healthy.
my chiwi when i got her at 10 weeks was 1.6 pounds. it took her forever to gain her first couple ounces to put her at 2 pounds lol. she is now 7 months and 1 week and she weighed in at 2.13 pounds with a bow in her hair and a collar with a bell on it lol, she i say 2.13 minus a few ounces for her "accessories" from what people tell me, chiwi is a small chihuahua.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts