Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have been waiting for a year to see if there was some progress, but I have to ask here now.
I have six dogs of various breeds and mixes, I have quite a lot of experience with dogs and cats, but I have never in my life met a dog like Tirill. She is a white chihuahua, very small, who I bought when she was quite young (8 weeks) because she was still trying to suckle her mom and hurt her quite badly with her puppy teeth.
She was immediately adopted by one of my dogs (could that be the problem?) who became mom ne 2 and she was not afraid of any of my other dogs. But... She is afraid of people. Me, my daughters, anybody who is (rarely) visiting. You can't touch her, she won't come to you, if you manage to pick her up for ear cleaning and so on she goes berserk. If she goes out to pee I have to open all the doors at the same time, the kitchen door, the door to the mudroom and the entrance door. Then she runs like a crazy not to be caught (even if nobody ever tried to catch her).
Now I have had her for more than a year. From the beginning she has been sleeping with me, under the blanket, and I can touch her as long as I don't look her in the eyes...
Please help, I really don't understand...(sorry for the super long post)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I assume that you have already tried to tempt her with treats? Can you get a leash on her? Do you walk the other dogs? Walking is such a great way of bonding with a dog, it really cemented my relationship with our chihuahua when we first got him. I wonder if she would come along even if you were walking her "mom" dog on a leash and start to get the idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers! Treats don't work...but she likes to go out and walk together with her "mom", the only problem is that catching her and putting a harness on, plus a coat now, is such a time-consuming activity...plus she's so crazy scared that every time I fear her heart will stop! But it's a good idea, I am going to try it out. You know,vI have quite a large garden so I just let her out (if I manage to) a few times a day with the other dogs, instead of walking her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts