Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chihuahua has some serious tears. I clean around her eyes with a tear stain remover, rinse with water, and dry. 1 hr later and the dirt and crap is all around her eyes again. I cleaned her eyes twice daily and it kept coming back. On Sat she has an appointment with the vet for the last of her puppy shots and I will see what they say. This can't be normal tears. It's black and comes off like greasy dirt. Her ears get black crap in them as well. I cleaned her up yesterday and today the dirt is back in her ear. She's an indoor dog.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree...sounds like an allergy for sure. Feeding a premium, grain free food usually works wonders on allergies! If that doesn't work I'd try a good limited ingredient food. Good luck!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The black gunk in the ears could be ear mites or yeast. What are you feeding? You definitely want to go to a good grain free food at the very minimum.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Could she have earmites? If so the vet will find them. I read somewhere that earmites can cause ***** ears and ***** eyes.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Reggie and Delilah had awful eye gunk that I would have to clean off several times a day until I switched them to grain free food. It, too, would be black and like greasy dirt. I noticed a week after starting the grain free food that I didn't need to do it any more. And Marmalade no longer has tear staining on her white fur.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've been using a grain free food for a while and Charlie still has gunky eyes. I just got an order of Ziwipeak in and once the bag of Nature's Variety I have is finished I will start it. I am curious to see if it helps. Pam, what kind of food do you feed?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I've been using a grain free food for a while and Charlie still has gunky eyes. I just got an order of Ziwipeak in and once the bag of Nature's Variety I have is finished I will start it. I am curious to see if it helps. Pam, what kind of food do you feed?
I fed Orijen/Acana up until this summer, Lion still had a lot of tear staining and gunky eyes. His eyes are better now after switching to raw/ZiwiPeak, but it still isn't completely gone.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have Nature's Recipe right now. I didn't like that it had pumpkin in it, it makes their poops kinda soft. But I tried Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain free and it gave Bouncer and Smoke bad gas and Isis got a rash on her stomach. So we are back to the Nature's Recipe again. Still looking for a better food that I wouldn't have to buy online, but I may have to go that route.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Charlie's breeder was feeding him Biljac and he did not have tearstains when I got him. I was feeding him Evo and that's when they started but the aren't any better since I've been using Nature's Variety.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Maybe check which ingredients are different between the two and that may be what Charlie is allergic to. That's how I found out Gonzo is allergic corn and wheat and Billy is deathly allergic to corn and barley. I never did figure out what caused the eye junk, but the changing to grain free worked for me. I have switched through many foods trying to find somthing they all could eat. It's a never ending search, it seems. :)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I found a store not far from me that sells it. I will try it out after I finish up the last of what I have. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Maybe check which ingredients are different between the two and that may be what Charlie is allergic to. That's how I found out Gonzo is allergic corn and wheat and Billy is deathly allergic to corn and barley. I never did figure out what caused the eye junk, but the changing to grain free worked for me. I have switched through many foods trying to find somthing they all could eat. It's a never ending search, it seems. :)
I hadn't thought to do that. That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am lucky here as far as availability. There are two stores in town who carry some of the better brands of dog food, another store about thity minutes away that carries several more and another store an hour away that has everything including frozen raw. But I only have two to feed. I ordered the Ziwipeak because I got that Groupon. I' m only feeding two dogs though. I'm sure it gets more complicated when you are feeding several dogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I will switch up her food. Come to think of it, this problem started when she got off her old puppy chow and I had to buy new stuff. As far as her ears, they have gotten better. The left has the most problems. I cleaned them out a fey days ago and they are still fairly clean.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I suggest you try Instinct, no grain or fillers, or soy. No corn, either. Very high in protein, really good quality. Ember won't eat anything other the that. I also suggest Natural Balance, Prairie, Innova, and Wellness (Certain types do have grain, though). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If it's really awful, you can also try feeding a homemade limited ingredient diet for a week or so to see if it improves. Something like cooked chicken and rice or beef and potatoes or some such. If the eyes improve, then you can try a kibble with those things as a base without any other grains.

Also, definitely ask the vet about her eye guck. Long-term allergies can also lead to secondary infections, if your dog does a lot of rubbing or itching. A change in food could alleviate the original problem, but you'd still have issues until you resolved the secondary infection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My vet recommended Angel Eyes and so far I am seeing improvements. Also she did have am minor ear infection but that has been taken care of as well. thanks for advise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts