Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
It doesnt look like it has any infections or problems. I'm new to Chi's so i dont know if its a frequent occurance, but I've seen this in other breeds and they where perfectly fine.
Is this a dog you're wanting to adopt? If so, make sure to get a full vet evaluation before doing so, from a vet you trust

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
She looks ok...especially depending on her age. When they're young sometimes facial fur (and body fur as well) can be sparse. Maxie had really thin spots on his face & eyes & it's just now starting to fill in & he's almost 2. ;) She's a cutie for sure!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
hmmm...... I think the rings of hairlessness around the eyes indicate allergies. It's a common problem. That would be my first thought - the dog has a food or environmental allergy. It's not "normal" to be missing fur around the eyes like that. Maybe on the tummy/chest/inside of the legs or even on the forehead/in front of the ears... those are common places to have alopecia (no hair or very sparse hair). But around the eyes - that spells allergy problems.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys :) I can always come to my chi peeps for advice hehehehe I seem to have become the chi lady of my neighbourhood lol A friend from the kids school is thinking of getting this chi and wanted my advice. He wants me to go with them to look over the chi...because i am a chi expert don't ya know lol Lord sakes lol I am no expert but this will be their first chi so I am going to go along and look her over for them and the eyes struck me as a bit odd looking as mine don't have that. I will questions the owners while we are there and see what food she is on

·
Registered
116 Posts
As I said my Cesar's eyes don't have a lot of hair around them and he doesn't have allergies or anything some just don't have a lot of hair around them. Here is a pic so you can see his eyes

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awwww he is such a little love! :) I see his eyes, looks kinda the same. Mine didn't have that so I wasn't sure and I don't want to say yeah go ahead and get her and then have them have probs with it lol I would feel bad hehehehe

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
It could just be the lighting and her fur being black that makes it looks worse than it really is. But I also see a few spots on the eye you can see the best that has some "nicks." Maybe where she rubs at it and scratches. Hard to tell, though. If she does have allergies a simple food change can clear it right up. Some allergy problems are harder to deal with, but many are just getting them on the right diet. :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed the "nicks" too and I wondered if maybe she had gotten into a scuffle with another dog. The one nick above her eye looks very similiar to when Willy bumped his head on the step and it scratched a patch of fur like that right off leaving it naked looking. Its grown back now but thats what it had looked like (only at the top of his wee lil head lol)
I will definately see what food she is on, maybe it is crap brand and if they start her on some RC it will clear up. Who knows :)
Thanks for the input guys, it will make it easier for me to help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts