Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to start a separate thread for my issue.

There used to be a very active and thriving community here! I hope people will come back. I'd love to actually meet you instead of just reading old posts and wondering what happened.

Most likely what happened was Facebook.

Sometimes it feels as if Susan Davis and I are the only regular visitors to the forums, which are a wealth of information to me and quite possibly a ghost town to her. She's a wonderful "personal private doggie life coach" and I enjoy her company but I don't have the answers to Emmie's and Bonnie's medical issues since I've never has a senior chi! All I can offer is comic relief and pleasant memories of puppyhood.

One thing we do have in common is that we don't use Facebook. More than likely, that's where (collective) you are. I'm not sure why the spammers haven't found us/you (yet) but it could well be Susan's hard work for all I know.

There are valid reasons for not using Facebook. There are, of course, also valid reasons for using Facebook.

Please don't leave people behind over technology; it's not worth it.

I guess my rant is over now, lol.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Laurie, Thanks for the kind words. I get some stuff from family on Facebook, but I don't start stuff. I am 80 and just do not do shopping etc on facebook. I use catalogs! I do use the computer for information. I really miss the many posts people had each day. Maybe it will cycle around again? Hopefully.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so too. I used to enjoy the internet a lot back in the '00s.

I'm glad I "know" you anyway. I'm mid fifties and way too old for most of the shopping foolishness already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Facebook is pretty much the only place to find active dog groups anymore. :( I joined this forum hoping to get away from Facebook, as I'd love to not rely on it for every little thing. Unfortunately, most communities outside of facebook seem to be dead.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Amen.. I joined in 2008 and have watched this forum "die" twice now. It is sad to witness. I don't facebook, twitter, text or any of that other stuff. I hate living in a society where the whole population walks around staring down at a phone, lol

We have 3 year old, Mick, a 14 year old Buster, and a 15 year old, Neko.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't either, chideb.

I just have the two, Laurel and Chocolate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have:
10 year old Rocco
9 year old Leia
8 year old Sandy Pawz
6 year old Tank

And now if I collect anymore I won't be able to afford their vet bills, so I stopped! lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Laurel's vet bills and the kids' grocery bill is why I had to stop too. :(

She has severe atopic dermatitis. I have credit card debt. Hopefully, when we get her test results next week, we can both start recovering.

As much as I'd like to get on a waitlist for a well bred purebred, there are probably too many chi mixes in need of homes around here for that to ever happen. I had my Chocolate spayed just because I don't know what other breeds are in her and I was terrified of an "oops" pregnancy, emergency caesarean, and not enough funds and/or credit.

I have some offline dog friends, but not enough. I didn't have much luck at the more general dog forum that's linked at the bottom of this one, but I always enjoyed talking to @susan_davis when she was on every day and I like reading the archives.

It looks like this forum was very active at one point. It was a very supportive and special community. I hope it did continue, in some form or another, on Facebook or some sort of post-Facebook private mailing list thingummy that I'm too old and ignorant to know about, lol.

I don't even own or want to own a smartphone; I access the site with a computer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:(

That's not surprising, in light of current circumstances. I've seen some things on Reddit that make me want to take away my octogenarian and nonogenarian friends' iPads "for their own good".

The infrastructure of the internet was not designed for this. Homo sapiens are pack animals and our bodies weren't designed for what we need to do either.

Our Chihuahuas, however, are hard wired for cuddling, listening, looking up at us with those wise, sympathetic, and caring eyes that we bred into them and that will always put them at a high risk of blindness from one bad encounter with a frightened domestic cat.

We take care of them every day. During our weeks or months of self-isolation, quarantine, and/or sheltering in place, we need to empower our little doggies to take care of us. They can do this. The virus won't hurt them and they have the power to give us the physical contact and affection that we need to stay healthy enough to help each other.

We Chihuahua people have an advantage. We don't have to let Facebook hurt us or rule our thoughts or become the focus of our lives during this temporary loneliness. We can use this advantage to help those less fortunate than ourselves when we are strong enough and happy enough to spend some online time socializing with our own species.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts