Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completely freaking out right now. Faith started scooting a bit yesterday out of the blue but I didn't think much of it. Today she's scooting constantly and walking around in a crouched way and is obviously very uncomfortable. I checked her rear end and to one side of her anus it is extremely red and puffed out. I called the vet immediately and described it and asked if it could be her anal glands. They told me if it were the anal glands that I would not see it all puffed up and red. The earliest they can see her is 2:30 pm today which is 2 hours from now. Faith is very uncomfortable and I am a mess worrying about her and what is going on. Two hours until the vet sees her feels like a lifetime.

Any ideas what this could be or what I can do in the meantime? I am so upset right now I can hardly type. :(

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Sounds like an impacted possibly abscessed anal gland. You could apply heat to it that would help sooth it (take a warm/hot washcloth and hold on her bum) for about 10 minutes if she'll let you.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She will let me touch the area so I will give that a try and hopefully it will offer her some relief. Thanks for your fast response. She's got me worried sick since she is showing obvious signs of discomfort. :(

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Impacted/abscessed anal glands will be puffed up and red. It can also bust open, and be even more of a problem. Have her seen today, Val. It needs to be lanced, and treated.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, she has an appointment in an hour and 50 minutes from now. Might she have an infection if that's the case?

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah i was thinkin abscess too, poor wee girl!
Tricia's Holly on here had that and it was very sore for her.

Let us know what the vet says anyway.
Darla send lots of love and licks to her big sis. xxxxx

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Thanks, she has an appointment in an hour and 50 minutes from now. Might she have an infection if that's the case?
Could be, yes. They will lance and clean it all up, and if it's bad enough they will send you home with instructions on continued cleaning until it's all healed. A few follow up visits, and some antibiotics. It is pretty painful, so maybe some pain meds if you want them.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for all the advice! I will be leaving in an hour to head over the the vet and get this all sorted out. I will definitely update later after the appt as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Good luck Val, let us know how it goes. I had this same exact thing happen to Pip once and it turned out to be an impacted anal gland. The swelling just seemed to come up overnight, it was awful seeing him scooting and licking the area and acting uncomfortable so I know how you feel. :( I'm glad you are getting her in right away. :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Yeah, it definitely sounds like its her anal gland. The vet will take care of it.
I just went through this with Lila. Only she never scooted or licked at her bum at all. She was fine the night before than by morning she had a ugly blister/bubble thing on one side of her bum. It scared the hell out of me!
I took her to the vet and he took care of it right away. He injected her with a pain medication, and sent me home with an antibiotic to be given until gone. She was fine after that. :)
I am still baffled by it though. I mean, she has never once shown any of the signs typical of having anal gland trouble. Very weird. Needless to say I now check all their bums every morning. ;)
I'm sure Faith will be okay, but I totally understand your being upset. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Good luck - we'll be thinking of you & will be anxious for an update! Hopefully it can be sorted out w/o much intervention or anymore discomfort to the poor thing...

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone! You guys have certainly put my mind at ease a little bit, so I'm no longer freaking out like I was earlier. Don't get me wrong, I'm still concerned but not completely on edge thinking it was the most awful thing like earlier.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like its her anal gland. The vet will take care of it.
I just went through this with Lila. Only she never scooted or licked at her bum at all. She was fine the night before than by morning she had a ugly blister/bubble thing on one side of her bum. It scared the hell out of me!
I took her to the vet and he took care of it right away. He injected her with a pain medication, and sent me home with an antibiotic to be given until gone. She was fine after that. :)
I am still baffled by it though. I mean, she has never once shown any of the signs typical of having anal gland trouble. Very weird. Needless to say I now check all their bums every morning. ;)
I'm sure Faith will be okay, but I totally understand your being upset. Keep us posted!
That is weird and it was the same for Faith. Never showed any signs of discomfort or anything out of the ordinary. She did not scoot at all until yesterday. Then this big swollen thing pops up on her bum literally overnight it scared the daylights out of me. I'm just glad this seems to be somewhat common and isn't as big a deal as I was imagining it out to be.

I'll be heading out a few minutes, finally! I'm so anxious to get her taken care of, I know you guys understand the feeling. I want to get there a little early in case they can see her a little sooner. :p

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
That is weird and it was the same for Faith. Never showed any signs of discomfort or anything out of the ordinary. She did not scoot at all until yesterday. Then this big swollen thing pops up on her bum literally overnight it scared the daylights out of me. I'm just glad this seems to be somewhat common and isn't as big a deal as I was imagining it out to be.
It was exactly the same for Pip. Happened out of nowhere, it was weird. It was just the one side puffed out and red, same as Faith's, so I'm pretty sure that is what it is and all will be fine shortly. :) They will empty it and probably give her antibiotics.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Poor little Faith! Glad you were able to get her seen so quickly, although Im sure the wait still felt like a lifetime! Sounds like she will be getting some relief soon. Sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You've been given great advice Val. It does sound like an impacted or infected anal gland. Yes, they can come up overnight! Sometimes they can express them and then fill them with an antibiotic gel to help them heal. My mom's dachsund had recurring problems so they eventually just had surgery and removed her anal glands and she was fine after that. That would be a last resort though.

They will probably tell you to up her fiber and try to sell you prescription dog food with high fiber!! Just warning you. I'd do metamucil or bran buds before I'd do a prescription dog food though.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Or try her on the Embark. Those are some of the beefiest poos we get, as it has 9% fiber in it, higher I think than any other dog food I've seen?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
has she been to see the vet yet? I hope she is doing better poor little girl.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Oh honey, I am so sorry. What a horrible thing to go through. I am on the phone with Tricia right now and everything that everybody has said is what Holly went through. She says god bless you and it's a pain in the a#& literally. LOL. After Holly got healed up, she had no more problems and it's been a year or so since then. Thinking of you and knowing what you must be going through. Let us know how it went at the vet and give her lots of loving from us.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts