Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have not been here in awhile. I have an almost 3 year old intact female chi. Yesterday, Roxy started displaying interesting behaviors. I didn't realize what was going on at first. I couple months ago I got her this small monkey squeky toy. She never really paid it any attention until yesterday. She was carrying it around and whineing. I got it from her and squeked it and gave it back. After I got done feeding the kids, I had to chance to catch breath and noticed she was again walking around carrying the monkey and whineing. So I called her and she came over and appeared to walk away looking back at me like she want me to follow her over to the stairs. So I figured, hmmm, she wants me to bring it back upstairs for her. Nope, she starts up the steps with monkey and looking back at me to make sure I was following her.

Once we made it up until my room she stops wanting me to follow her and circle around me with her monkey. So I thought, what the heck. I got down on my hands and knees and she proceeds on to under my bed to lay on one of my kids blankets. She lays the monkey down and trys to scoot it under her tummy and lefts her hind legs. She got frustrated because she could not keep the monkey there. Curious, I held the monkey there and she seemed satisifed. Then she allowed the monkey to lay there and she was calm. Not to long after, my pit (she is 13 years old) made her way upstairs to be with me and walks by the bed and Roxy runs out nips and runs back under the bed. Then my son came in the room and by the bed and she was seemed gaurded. So, yeah it seems she is mothering the monkey.

A little bit more informtion, she was in heat at the end of Jan/start of Feb. She has been her normal self and no physical or mental symptoms of a false pregnancy, that is unitl now with the monkey. My question, do I allow this mothering to play it through? Do I take her to the vet? I have never experienced this before. Thanks!!

Melissa

· Registered
2,412 Posts
my aunts cattle dog went through the same thing ,she had 2 thongs , a ball and a newspaper as her babies she would lay down and put them against her tummy ,she even had milk and protected them , my aunt just let her go, it didn't last very long ( about a week ).

· Registered
3,886 Posts
my chi just did that she carried her toy for weeks pretended to Nurse it cleaned it kept it warm. She's been bred before though and I did not breed her this heat cycle because she is going to be spayed asap. I can't even remember how long it was at least 2-3 weeks of carrying it none of the other pets could come near it or they would get snipped also. I didn't take her to the vet and she was fine. It's up to you if you want to take her or not I called the vet and they said it was fine and didn't need to bring in so I didnt.

· Registered
544 Posts
Most of the time this resolves on it's own. They mother a stuffy or two and in a couple weeks, it dwindles and then stops. Keep an eye on her for any other signs of possible complications, but there's no reason to take the monkey away from her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.