Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chip has his annual vet visit the 15th, and he's going to be getting his rabies vaccination (titers don't cut it in Indiana e.e), heartworm test, and general bloodwork. I've read before that because raw diets are so high-protein, they can skew some of the results of blood tests to higher numbers. Should I fast him a day before? He only eats once a day, so I'd feel bad making him not have ANY food...or I could feed him very very early the morning before, since the appointment is in the afternoon?

ETA: Sorry if this doesn't go in the raw section :( A mod can move it...I didn't even think about putting it in the normal health section because it was a question involving raw >.O

·
Registered
809 Posts
At the clinic where I work we ask that dogs coming in for bloodwork have nothing to eat after midnight the night before but water is okay. However, most of our dogs are coming in first thing in the morning, not afternoon like your appointment. I would feed him the day before his appointment like usual, maybe mid-afternoon, and then nothing until they get his blood the next day and then feed after that as usual.

If you call your vet they might have more specific guidelines but this is what we do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts