Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Since Dezi was a mini, she's been eating Royal Canin kibbles. Now that she's 7 months old, she hasn't been digging this stuff anymore. She dislikes her dog food now. :-( I got the IAMs Savory Sauce to mix with her dry food, she hates that too. I've tried Eukanuba and watching her try to eat that, I know she hates it. She wouldn't even get near it. It got so bad now that she refuses to eat all day long and sometimes would go 2 days w/o eating. When she's absolutely starved, then she'll force herself to eat. I would give her treats and stuff in between but I know this is not the proper way for her as this makes her malnourished. So now, I need some input from everyone. What would you recommend for finicky chis?

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mix canned food with the dry food. Or cut up lunch meat (or cheese) in tiny, tiny, tiny pieces and mix it with the food. They have to be tiny enough so the baby doesn't just pick out the meat.

I had (actually have) the same problem with my two.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you want a high quality food I recommend Neura Meats...(as much as I promote them, they really should be paying me).

This is the only food that they both go crazy over! It's like cats and catnip.

But I am sure there are other great canned foods.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Im glad Dezi doesnt like the Iams Savory sauce because Peanut is also a difficult eater and I bought that for him and when I told his Vet he told me that I shouldnt give that to Peanut. Not only that but I called Iams when I bought it and asked how long the sauce would last in the fridge after it was opened and they told me one week. Now I dont know about Dezi but Peanut would NEVER finish that bottle in one week!

I wish I knew what to tell you because I was very scared when Peanut wasnt eating. He never liked any of the "expensive dog foods" and I tried them ALL.. All I could say (and I know many on this forum would not agree) but my Vet told me that Purina Dog Chow is becoming one of the best dog foods (he knows this because he always goes to conventions and stuff) and he told me to try that dog food, and Peanut does really like it. I also mix it with Nutro canned dog food, I was also wondering if there was a better brand of canned dog food, but I havent found one.
I read on the forum that baby food was also good.. I bought it for Peanut a few days ago to mix it in his glucosamine pills and he loves it!
Just make sure you have Nutrical just in case Dezi doesnt eat!!

Im sorry...This ended up being VERY long! Hope it helped

Yael

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
:wave: hi again my older chihuahua was picky but i give her Natural Balnce and Nutro Ultra mixed and she loves these.You can also try mixing in some fresh chicken broth not the cans from the chicken that is boiled.Or even chopped up chicken really fine so they will eat the kibble food too.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I mix the Pedigree Pouch food in with the dry food and they lap it up. It smells great too. I heard that the Purina Exclusive in the red sack is supposed to be great food. My Chloe has gone through those picky stages before. :roll: But, she loves the Pedigree in the pouch!

sandra
www.chloescustomharness.com

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I feed Chico nutro (wet and dry)mixed and i add a little cottage cheese ...never had a problem with him not eating ....he loves it :) :wave:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feed Purina Beneful (adult for my adult dog, and puppy for the young ones) they absolutely love it, and my vet said it is a great food. He said stay away from Ol' Roy, that's not good at all (according to him). Oh, this is a dry food. :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper is a Natural Balance Diet boy and he gets a tablespoon of Wellness canned food mixed in. I don't know why I buy him the expensive dry food - he only eats it because the canned is mixed in.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
tik0z said:
is it true that dogs arent supposed to eat dairy products because they cant digest it?
They shouldn't have lots of dairy, although they can have certain types of yogurt. But a little bit of cheese won't hurt them, as long as it isn't a major part of their diet.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have had this problem with Xena - she would NOT eat any puppy food, instead she would wait until she could go eat the adult dog food for my Golden Retriever. I went to a local pet store, and I got this "roll" of Natural Balance - Meat flavor. It's almost like a big pepporoni roll. ANyway, he said to just grate the stuff into her food. I use a little hot (very hot) water to make them blend together, but I don't make the mix watery. Doing this makes them just kinda mesh together - so she can't just eat the NB and not her kibble..... Sorry, long story - LONG (lol) She loves it!!!! She really likes it and so does Mia.
Just thought I would add my 2 cents! LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts