Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing Fawn & Greta 2 baby fancy dumbo rats!

Greta

Fawn

We originally tried hamsters but they were freaked out by my cat Huly. Huly could not even walk by the hallway with out them freaking out. We ended up taking them back and brought home these two babies and they will come up to the tank and watch Huly as Huly watches them. Huly is not a hunter he is more interested in the garbage truck than catching these two. Remember I bottle fed him and he has 0 hunting instincts. LOL

Greta is the adventurous spirit while Fawn is calm sweet mellow girl.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Awe! We had a rat years and years ago when my so e was young! We loved that little guy and he was so very smart!! Congrats, they're very cute!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have seven rats- they're waaaay better pets than hamsters anyway.

Sooo cute, congrats on the new friends.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! Since some of y'all have rats help me out. We are looking for a good cage for them any suggestions? Bedding toys? Food? Looking to gain any and all info I can as I am new to rats.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Oooh boy you've done it now lol I can go on for days.

Cages are ALWAYS best, not tanks. If you want to get super crazy you could get a critter nation (my dream cage) but any cage with bars will do. Make sure they can't squeeze through and that the doors are secure. I use a converted bird cage myself.

As for bedding, carefresh is a winner and I've used it for years. No pine or other wood shavings- they are toxic. A paper bedding is your safest bet. Some people use fleece liners, I do not as my guys like to rip them apart.

Toys- a rat will make anything a toy. They like to chew and shred, so wood or other things that can be destroyed are always popular. They like boxes and toilet paper rolls too.

I personally feed harlan tekland to my rats, but because it can only be bought in giant bags I'd recommend you feed Oxbow, since you only have two. Oxbow and harlan are the two best rat foods on the market. Also, supplement their diet with fruits and veggies and other things daily. They eat most anything, there are lists online of what they can and cannot eat.

Mine really enjoy hammocks for sleeping in so grab a few of those (and be prepared to replace them when they get wrecked lol).

AGain, congrats on your new pets. :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Fawn & Greta

Congrats! I love ratties, though I haven't had the pleasure of adding any to my family yet. They are soooo smart!

I second the critter nation! I have 2 ferret nation cages for my chinchillas and just love them! You can get deeper metal pans online (I will have to find the website, it's been awhile since I ordered mine). I personally suggest fleece liners, I wasn't a fan of care fresh when I tried it. It really stank and didn't last very long, especially for the price! Fleece liners are cheap to make and washable!
Hammocks are a must, and also easy to make!

Moonfall, is Aspen bedding not rat safe? I know pine is too aromatic and cedar is toxic, but I thought aspen was okay...?

I do know a few people who feed their rats raw... :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have heard it IS ok. But I will personally not use it for them as I use it for my snakes and I think it's too dusty and otherwise unsafe for rodents.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We started with a 40gal breeder as these two were 3-4 weeks old and were in a bare bottom tank with a colony. They honestly have just mastered their climbing skills (we have had them a week- two weeks) and Greta learned to jump two days ago. We have an air purifier in the room with them.

Current Set up

We are currently using Oxbox Pure Comfort, and Oxbox baby rat food. I do need to add more fresh foods but I do give the following supplements and treats:

Whole Life Living Treats Antioxidant Blend
http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Life-Pet-Products-Anti-Oxidant/dp/B00PQ687H6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1427832142&sr=1-1&keywords=whole+life+living+treats
Fruitables Greek Strawberry
http://www.amazon.com/Fruitables-Strawberry-Yogurt-Crunchy-Treats/dp/B00N5ZSAH2/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1427832157&sr=1-3&keywords=fruitables+greek+yogurt
Dr Harvey Coconut Smiles
Amazon.com : Coconut Smiles Organic Dehydrated Coconut Treat for Dogs, 8-Ounce : Pet Supplies
Dr Harvey Sweet Potato Fries
Amazon.com : Dr. Harvey's Sweet Potato Fries/Treat for Dogs, 7-Ounce Bag : Pet Snack Treats : Pet Supplies
Lainey's Pawtique & Bakery made them fruit and Veggie cookies for Easter

Mushroom Wisdom Miatake
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000172366/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1427832340&sr=1&keywords=mushroom+wisdom+alcohol+free

Oxbow Vitamin C
http://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Animal-Health-Natural-Supplement/dp/B00E0HQA7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427832381&sr=8-1&keywords=oxbow+vitamin+c

I am looking at the Critter Nation or Petsmart All Living Things as they are the highest rated cages for these little ones. Also all Living Things is the exact same as CN. Midwest makes both.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
They are so cute. I'm jealous because we don't have Dumbo Rats in Australia. Ratties make lovely little pets. I don't have any right now but I used to have several. Join the Rat List if it's still around, lots of great people with good advice.

The larger the cage the better making sure that the wire has small spacing. Their favourite toy will be you because they'll want to come out and hang around/on you. They need a minimum 1 hour out of their cage daily. Try teaching them tricks, mine would do anything for the right reward. :) With other toys think chew and sleep. Lol. I also didn't give my guys too many places to hide until they were comfortable with me.

Oxbow is a great brand of food but I don't know what is available where you are. You'll really enjoy them but watch out, they can be addictive!!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
They are so cute! We had rats for years- over 10 in fact. I am just now rat-less for the first time and I miss them so much.

I always fed harlan teklad- you can get it online and it is in my opinion the best rat food out there- I always got it from http://www.theratshop.com/
The most important thing when looking for rat food is to remember they have digestive systems just like ours- not like rabbits, cavys or hamsters. So avoid foods that have grass, hay or a lot of alfalfa in them. That oxbow vitamin C for instance is meant for hay eaters- it is not going to be a good option for rats. It angers me to no end that they put rats on the front of those containers- they might as well put a pig because their digestive system and nutritional needs are about as similar to a guinea pig as a rats! In fact most things they sell at pet stores are just starving rats to death slowly with high fiber diets when they really are omnivores and should be eating about what you are for dinner! That is why they make such great lab animals- many of their needs are similar to ours.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah, never feed hay- it's worthless for them and does harm more than good. They do enjoy some lettuce and carrots though and also will chow down on meats and eggs with gusto. They can have cooked bones as they gnaw instead of crush so cooked chicken bones with meat on are very popular with mine. Basically, I feed mine pretty much anything I'm eating or my family is (I have allergies to a lot of veggies lol) to go with their block diet. They enjoy yoghurt too, and chocolate is not dangerous for them like it is dogs so they enjoy a bite of it once in a while too.

Also- they will kill and eat other small animals. Just a heads up. I've had people be surprised by that. If you have a fish tank, beware- they like to eat fish. Same for small snakes, lizards, birds, etc. They are predatory omnivores and very opportunistic.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are so cute! We had rats for years- over 10 in fact. I am just now rat-less for the first time and I miss them so much.

I always fed harlan teklad- you can get it online and it is in my opinion the best rat food out there- I always got it from The rat shop - Home
The most important thing when looking for rat food is to remember they have digestive systems just like ours- not like rabbits, cavys or hamsters. So avoid foods that have grass, hay or a lot of alfalfa in them. That oxbow vitamin C for instance is meant for hay eaters- it is not going to be a good option for rats. It angers me to no end that they put rats on the front of those containers- they might as well put a pig because their digestive system and nutritional needs are about as similar to a guinea pig as a rats! In fact most things they sell at pet stores are just starving rats to death slowly with high fiber diets when they really are omnivores and should be eating about what you are for dinner! That is why they make such great lab animals- many of their needs are similar to ours.
I was thinking Vitamin C to help fight cancer as I know it is common in rats. Vitamin C and Miatake are both cancer fighters. Should I stop the Vitamin C?

Yeah, never feed hay- it's worthless for them and does harm more than good. They do enjoy some lettuce and carrots though and also will chow down on meats and eggs with gusto. They can have cooked bones as they gnaw instead of crush so cooked chicken bones with meat on are very popular with mine. Basically, I feed mine pretty much anything I'm eating or my family is (I have allergies to a lot of veggies lol) to go with their block diet. They enjoy yoghurt too, and chocolate is not dangerous for them like it is dogs so they enjoy a bite of it once in a while too.

Also- they will kill and eat other small animals. Just a heads up. I've had people be surprised by that. If you have a fish tank, beware- they like to eat fish. Same for small snakes, lizards, birds, etc. They are predatory omnivores and very opportunistic.
Thankfully our tank as a top that is hard to get into LOL Hopefully they don't like salt water. :) Dark leafy veggies or any veggie?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Rats are so easy to feed, if you can eat it, so can they! They can survive on substances like soap and plaster, so they are hugely adaptable.
Vitamin c isn't so vital to them as they can make their own, unlike humans and guinea pigs, but it won't do any harm.
I fed our rats mostly on table scraps, with a dry mix of biscuits and grains. I am not a fan of commercial pelleted foods.
Don't feed too much fat, just like us they are very drawn to fatty and sugary foods and can get obese very easily. Variety is key.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rats are so easy to feed, if you can eat it, so can they! They can survive on substances like soap and plaster, so they are hugely adaptable.
Vitamin c isn't so vital to them as they can make their own, unlike humans and guinea pigs, but it won't do any harm.
I fed our rats mostly on table scraps, with a dry mix of biscuits and grains. I am not a fan of commercial pelleted foods.
Don't feed too much fat, just like us they are very drawn to fatty and sugary foods and can get obese very easily. Variety is key.
Thanks! I appreciate it! You had rats and hammies?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts